Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Richard and James were the only witnesses? So the family that's getting face time everywhere who say they saw and heard everything actually didn't see anything? This is getting to be like that game you play as a kid, where one person whispers something in somebody's ear and so on and so on, and then see how different it is by the end of the line.

Chinese whispers. Although you probably can't call it that any more, at least not on the BBC.

Which is why everyone should wait until this is all out and over with. Not all of the facts are out and the more that comes out the more that gets speculated on (in both the press and public).

Such is the nature of things these days. With someone as "big" as Clarkson who is already a constant target of the left because of his political views and love of cars and the right-wing snivelling classes who take the Waily Fail as gospel because they hate the BBC (apart from Call the Midwife and Strictly) you are always going to get rumour, conjecture and conflicting accounts recycled ad nauseam with every new titbit seized and expanded upon to fill column inches and generate more clicks on their websites.

I'm a fan and will remain so even though I'm as left leaning as you get. Jeremy and his associates have built a tremendous thing by talent and hard work. But to go ape shit over catering? Really? I suspect if I met him in person, I'd probably think he was a real douche. He really must believe there's no such thing as bad publicity. I disagree. And as for him being the one to have reported this? Could it all be just a publicity stunt to enable him to move on? It just does't make sense. Also my concern as a US viewer is that none of the other channels will have the worldwide distribution of the beeb. People will have to illegally download again with a vengeance. Oh and there's no way he'll simply be replaced. The thought is as ridiculous as Prince Charles being skipped over for Prince William. It'll never happen.

Chinese whispers. Although you probably can't call it that any more, at least not on the BBC.

Such is the nature of things these days. With someone as "big" as Clarkson who is already a constant target of the left because of his political views and love of cars and the right-wing snivelling classes who take the Waily Fail as gospel because they hate the BBC (apart from Call the Midwife and Strictly) you are always going to get rumour, conjecture and conflicting accounts recycled ad nauseam with every new titbit seized and expanded upon to fill column inches and generate more clicks on their websites.

It doesn't help that UK's news media seems to be completely moronic, not even attempting to be better than tabloids tripe.

Jeremy Clarkson is going to host an episode of Have I Got News For You.

Has the petition won?

Jeremy Clarkson is going to host an episode of Have I Got News For You.

Has the petition won?

I suspect this was planned before the -- er -- fracas erupted.

If the recording is scheduled to take place before the hearing wraps up, I think Hat Trick will try to fight to keep Clarkson presenting. They like to put controversial people on (Lord Black, Nigel Farage), and JC is perfectly aware that Hislop / Merton / other panellists will either razz him for his troubles or try to goad him into saying something to start another bunfight, and producers don't like upper management dictating their guest list.

If the ruling comes down and JC's suspension is upheld for a length overlapping the taping date, then Hat Trick has no choice but to find a substitute. Jimmy Carr, perhaps.

That would be the Not At All Intending To Offend Anyone Of Any Ethnicity By Implying An Offensive Stereotype Expression Even Though It Means Nothing Really But We Know Some People Would Be Offended If We Used That Word Whispers.

It works for me.

wil jeremy clarkson go on with topgear or not and wat about james may and hammond any news please and 5 miljoen tv watchers watch no bbc2 never again only when topgear coms on tv

It's walled, could you paste it here please?

Here:

?Top Gear? Hits Rock Bottom

The middle-aged presenter of a British TV show about cars has been suspended by the BBC for allegedly hitting his producer during a ?fracas.?

Big deal, you might think; hardly global news. Except that, for many people, the suspension last week of Jeremy Clarkson, the controversial presenter of the BBC?s ?Top Gear? program, is a big deal. Nearly a million people have signed an online petition demanding that the BBC reinstate Mr. Clarkson. The story dominated news in Britain, and made headlines across the world ? and here I am writing about it for The New York Times.

But then ?Top Gear? is a very peculiar cultural phenomenon. What began in 1977 as a regional show about cars and road safety is today the BBC?s greatest global export. Boasting a worldwide audience of 350 million, ranged across 214 territories, it is the most watched factual program on Earth. It generates ?20 million (about $30 million) in profits for the corporation every year.

It is a show about cars in which the cars are almost incidental. The essence of ?Top Gear? lies in childish pranks, ?politically incorrect? jokes, smutty comments and laddish banter. The reputation of the show has been enhanced ? or diminished, depending upon your point of view ? by a series of controversies over the years, ranging from schoolboy stunts to racial slurs.

Mr. Clarkson has, variously: crashed a pickup into a tree to test the truck?s strength, damaging both; been accused of despoiling Botswana?s pristine Makgadikgadi salt pans by driving across them; been chased out of Argentina by an angry crowd after touring in a car with the registration plate H982 FKL, supposedly a provocative reference to the 1982 Falklands War; driven around an Indian slum in a Jaguar fitted with a toilet ?because everyone who comes here gets the trots? (a British colloquialism for diarrhea); caused outrage by giving the Nazi salute in a segment about German cars; and sung the nursery rhyme ?Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,? appearing to include the line ?Catch a nigger by the toe? (the segment was cut from the broadcast).

Mr. Clarkson, who joined the program in 1988 to give it, as a BBC report put it, ?a more abrasive edge,? has come to define the show?s ethos. For some, Clarkson is an irreverent, controversial rebel. For others, he is a chauvinist bigot.

In reality, he is neither. He is more like the schoolboy who has never grown up ? the one who stands behind the teacher in the playground pulling faces or ties a firecracker to a cat?s tail.

There is a long English tradition of this kind of adolescent humor, from saucy seaside postcards to comedians like Benny Hill. In the past, when sex was the great taboo, it was innuendo that felt naughty. Today, it is more likely to be political incorrectness. This is not because there is anything transgressive about telling jokes depicting Germans as Nazis or making racial slurs about Asians, but because struggles over appropriate language have become a form of cultural warfare.

Rules about acceptable speech have, over the past three decades, become increasingly significant forms of social regulation. From bans on hate speech to the policing of offensive language, the management of how people talk to each other has become an important means of supervising social relations and establishing moral boundaries. The fact that codes of speech are enforced in this way has led many to push back against them.

This is not simply a case of left vs. right or liberals vs. conservatives. Certainly, political correctness has come to be associated with the left, and many liberals have come to view the appropriate use of language as key to social change. But many conservatives are equally censorious and keen to use speech codes as a way of regulating social relations.

In this struggle over speech, those who protest against restrictions are often characterized as bigots who want the freedom to use racist, misogynistic or homophobic language. But many free speech campaigners, myself included, view the right to freedom of expression as central to the struggle against bigotry. And then there are those who feel marginalized and voiceless, and express their estrangement from mainstream institutions by rejecting what they see as the liberal consensus.

Few of the 350 million people who watch ?Top Gear? across the globe, or the almost one million who have signed the petition for Mr. Clarkson?s reinstatement, are likely to be either bigots or free speech advocates. But many chafe at the imposition of rules about what is culturally appropriate. That may explain how a show with a very English kind of puerile humor has gained a global audience.

What should be unsettling is not so much Mr. Clarkson?s transgressions as the fact that a multimillionaire who counts Britain?s prime minister among his close friends should be seen as an outsider or rebel. It is a sad reflection on the contemporary world that rebelliousness has, for so many, been reduced to racist slurs and schoolboy pranks.

Equally sad is that so many others should expend such energy and rage railing at Mr. Clarkson. A Guardian editorial likened him to an ?ogre.? The ?Top Gear? presenter may be a jerk, certainly; but an ogre?

In the left-leaning magazine The New Statesman, one feminist critic wrote that ?if every signatory to this petition were boiled down for biofuel, the world would be a cleaner, smarter place.? There is sufficient blind contempt there to suggest a promising future as a ?Top Gear? scriptwriter.

The task of challenging bigotry has been diminished to the policing of language. The task of challenging conformism has been reduced to infantile jokes. It?s not just ?Top Gear? that these days seems adolescent.

"In the left-leaning magazine The New Statesman, one feminist critic wrote that ?if every signatory to this petition were boiled down for biofuel, the world would be a cleaner, smarter place.? There is sufficient blind contempt there to suggest a promising future as a ?Top Gear? scriptwriter."

That person shouldn't be whining about Clarkson; that comment is well beyond the sort of thing that Clarkson says. Haters gonna hate, no matter what. But giving editorial space to such as this gives them exposure and credibility they should be denied.

"In the left-leaning magazine The New Statesman, one feminist critic wrote that ?if every signatory to this petition were boiled down for biofuel, the world would be a cleaner, smarter place.? There is sufficient blind contempt there to suggest a promising future as a ?Top Gear? scriptwriter."

That person shouldn't be whining about Clarkson; that comment is well beyond the sort of thing that Clarkson says. Haters gonna hate, no matter what. But giving editorial space to such as this gives them exposure and credibility they should be denied.

No no, you're allowed to be a nazi as long as you're a leftie nazi. It's only the righty nazis that are the bad type. Keep up.

The writer of the New York Times article, Kenan Malik, is British, but according to his twitter he was asked to write about Clarkson by the editors. I happen to like Malik's work, though he's rather snooty about Top Gear in this article. However, I agree with his basic point--Clarkson is less a raging racist orgre than someone pushing against what's become a heavy set of speech codes enforced by self-appointed language police. Some of those police-folk happen to raging hypocrites, like the writer in The New Statesman who advocated mass murder. Still Top Gear has sometimes been made life unnecessarily difficult for itself. I don't care about the Argentina incident or the nursery rhyme, but the slope remark was pointless and the Mexican bashing should never have aired (though Clarkson ironically was the least to blame). As for the current case--if it's true that Jeremy acted like a petty Roman Emperor, may I suggest the following to the BBC? Allow him back to the show, but punish him for several weeks by forbidding him to ride in any vehicle besides a bus. Instead of testing super-cars, he can test bus routes and even work as a driver for a day. His suffering will be great enough to deter further producer-abuse.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, another witness - the waiter, has a very detailed story of what had happened during that stormy evening: [video=youtube;48h-q-FEBSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48h-q-FEBSw[/video]

HhKAfM7.png

That's just sad?:blink: Funny, for sure, but also still showing how it's not just Clarkson being punished here-- May, Hammond, the entire crew, all the fans who finally had tickets, all the stations around the world who paid to carry the show and all of us who are Top Gear fans are also being punished over this?

As a liberal female (who apparently isn't supposed to like Top Gear for some reason?), I still love Clarkson, he's an equal opportunity offender who also happens to have experienced and enjoyed more cultures first hand than many people even know about. His "Jeremy Clarkson: Meets the Neighbours" was actually really well done. I hope he isn't too fed up to come back if allowed, but it's ridiculous to have pulled the remaining three episodes and put so many other people out of work.

However, I agree with his basic point--Clarkson is less a raging racist orgre than someone pushing against what's become a heavy set of speech codes enforced by self-appointed language police.

He's not a racist at all, not even slightly. That's the whole point: "omg you can't say that" is more racist than the whole slope comment.

Jeremy Clarkson came out fighting against the BBC last night following ?insider? briefings which compared him to serial paedophile Jimmy Savile.

The Top Gear host instructed lawyers to demand an immediate retraction from the Corporation after the scurrilous allegations were spread by highly-placed BBC sources.

Clarkson is also seeking a full investigation into the identity of the BBC executive who leaked the groundless smear.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-29...wyers-Savile-comparison-senior-TV-source.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.