Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it does bring up an issue: it's possible that the 10+episode series format was in fact the wrong way to go.
It may have made network and syndication executives happy, but to maintain the quality and energy of the presenters and production team that might have been too much.
Remember the vociferous arguments that Stephen Moffat made when some BBC whiteshirt mused about getting more episodes of Sherlock into a series? TG may be running into the same thing. I'll bet the expenses and logistics costs must have shot up astronomically since the 2003 relaunch (what with foreign travel, challenges, and so on.)
Could TG fans settle for 2 series per year, 6 eps each with a 6-8 month break, instead of one massive season?

In case Clarkson needs a hip replacement as the faily wail says... and if it's due to AVN

You know, it does bring up an issue: it's possible that the 10+episode series format was in fact the wrong way to go.
It may have made network and syndication executives happy, but to maintain the quality and energy of the presenters and production team that might have been too much.
Remember the vociferous arguments that Stephen Moffat made when some BBC whiteshirt mused about getting more episodes of Sherlock into a series? TG may be running into the same thing. I'll bet the expenses and logistics costs must have shot up astronomically since the 2003 relaunch (what with foreign travel, challenges, and so on.)
Could TG fans settle for 2 series per year, 6 eps each with a 6-8 month break, instead of one massive season?

I doubt this series is 10 episodes because the BBC asked it to be 10 episodes, it was probably 10 episodes because of the amount of content they wanted to shoot, it could also be that they decided it better to shoot top gear in one block instead of breaking it up over 2 series who knows but I don't think they put themselves in over their heads by doing a 10 episode series.
The stress on Clarkson probably comes from elsewhere more than the show itself.

In his Sunday Times column this week, he says, "I used to work on a television show called Top Gear..."

He also says he wants to shoot people in the head and that a certain Lambo does a million billion miles per hour.

Why are people taking him so literally...

Not only that was written.. A brief summary on the BBC website apparently.

It is all a bit odd the way things are going. Difficult to get a complete and correct view on the topic. Perhaps we never will.

If Pierce Morgans piece written is anything to go by, than the rant would not be "in jest". Next week a decision will be made regarding JC & TG.

Sounds like the report is delayed or Jezza is getting an extended suspension

Top Gear Live regret to inform ticket holders for next week?s shows in Stavanger, Norway that we will be postponing all 4 performances, with rescheduled dates for later this year to be confirmed within the next fortnight. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause fans and we will endeavour to contact all ticket holders directly to inform them of the change of dates.
http://www.topgearlive.com/norway/en/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-live-norway-shows-5382602

No change on the Sydney event in April
http://www.topgearfestivalsydney.com.au/

26CD6FBD00000578-3002453-image-a-38_1426779978837.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/eve...t-Yes-Land-Rover-s-luxury-roader-awesome.html

BTW - Top Gear Live and Chris Evans' Car Fest are run by the same company
http://www.brandevents.co.uk/

Last edited:
Could these two be brothers?
braried.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/22/bbc-part-of-who-we-are-jeremy-clarkson

Okay, it's Victoria Coren Mitchell, who's on record as not liking Top Gear -- but at the same time, she's willing to criticize the anti-Clarksoners for their blindness:

For the Conservatives, Maria Miller (who thinks Jeremy Clarkson is ?a legend?) said: ?The BBC needs to be better at managing its talent.? For Labour, Chi Onwurah (who thinks Jeremy Clarkson ?doesn?t represent or understand today?s Britain?) said ?Where he fits into the BBC?s remit is really difficult to understand.?

Chi Onwurah?s comments are particularly annoying because Jeremy Clarkson patently does ?represent and understand today?s Britain? ? the exact, substantial part of today?s Britain that the Labour party currently doesn?t.

Onwurah, an obviously bright woman, can?t possibly have failed to notice Clarkson?s popular rhetoric and vast national fan base, so her gist can only be that those people don?t matter.

That?s an exasperating approach from a member of parliament, before you even get to the bizarre conclusion that failing to represent Britain (or the Britain that matters) makes ?where he fits into the BBC?s remit? really difficult to understand?.

Is it? Difficult? The BBC has a remit to inform and entertain. Clarkson does both. That is not complicated.

Maybe Ramsay is the new Top ******* Gear catering manager who will sort everything out!
B8MnNr-IMAAc9CP.jpg

Here's something else Clarkson should probably consider if he's having hip problems. It's probably not suitable for London traffic, though I wouldn't know that for certain. http://www.icetrikes.co/

I remember when Howard Stern left traditional radio for Sirius...and by 2014, he tied with Simon Cowell for the highest earning celebrity personalities with some $95 million.

And out of that $95 million, he has to pay all costs associated with the other programming on his satellite channels, including salaries. He's not clearing anything close to $95 million.

Stern was targeted for years by the FCC; the U.S. government's version of the Gestapo. I think that as of 2004, the FCC had fined radio station licensees that carried his show something in the order of two and a half million dollars for "indecent content".

The FCC was only doing what Congress (of which the FCC is a creature) required them to do. The prohibition against obscene, indecent or profane language is part of the United States Criminal Code, and although some of that prohibition has been modified by the courts, most of it still stands. It was nothing more or less than Howard being Howard, thumbing his nose at authority (not unlike JC), and if you've heard his show on SiriusXM, you may have noticed that it's not exactly a scatology-fest.

And as for the Gestapo comment: Was Stern ever arrested and shipped off to a concentration camp or a gas chamber? Was he ever re-arrested after being acquitted of a crime by a court of law? Was his telephone tapped illegally? Were his neighbors interviewed? Nazi hyperbole doesn't exactly fit here.

Perhaps this is all set up to avoid dealing with the apparent failure to acquire the 3 hypercars?

Maybe Ramsay is the new Top ******* Gear catering manager who will sort everything out!
B8MnNr-IMAAc9CP.jpg

i'd love to see JC hit him, i think he'll have a fist in his face before his arm is lowered again! :lol:

B8MnNr-IMAAc9CP.jpg

Now theres an idea for SIARPC if TG ever comes back. I'm actually surprised they haven't had him on.

They have. Season 1 episode 9. They cooked food on car engines and got him to taste it.

Okay, let's ratchet up the tension a little:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...es-in-the-hands-of-one-man-bbc-boss-tony-hall

One important quote:

RadioTimes.com understands that the BBC boss has made it clear that the decision over Clarkson will be made by Hall alone in his capacity as the Corporation's editor-in-chief.

This follows reported tensions between Hall and the BBC's director of television Danny Cohen, who is thought to have pushed for harsher sanctions against Clarkson when dealing with Top Gear controversies over the past twelve months, but been overruled.

Interesting. If Mr. Hall decides to lift JC's suspension, or order negotiations for the presenters to continue with JC serving less than six months, there's no way the media would see it as anything other than a rebuke of Mr. Cohen for mishandling the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.