Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, as I haven't yet expressed my view of the sacking yet-

I am bitterly disappointed by the BBC's decision, but I acknowledge that it is entirely justified. I think that given Tymon had explicitly stated a desire to return to work on Top Gear with Jeremy as long as he undertook anger management, then the BBC had available to them a way out of terminating him. They chose not to take it, as is their right. But in doing so, they have punished not just Clarkson, but all of us as well and even Oisin Tymon himself.

Netflix would take him. One of their biggest hits - Orange is the New Black - is based on a woman who spent a year in prison for felony money-laundering.

Felony money-laundering isn't as serious as felony assault.

I wonder which paper will be the first to leak the news on the impending warrant, indictment, and trial. The media are probably creaming themselves at the prospect on reporting the imprisonment of the former presenter of Top Gear.

I imagine either his lawyers or the BBC will persuade him to. The latter, I wouldassume, is probably not content enough with firing Clarkson; they probably want to ensure he never gets another job on television again.

Seeing as the police didn't witness it, there's no proof of it happening unless the victim comes forward. I'm not even sure the perpetrator could get arrested if he walked right in to the station and confessed - because there's no crime to confess to.

Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Surely Tymon would need to press charges for Clarkson to be arrested?

That's not how the UKanian justice system works. Nobody has to press charges or formally report a crime for the UK police to investigate, the police can investigate and charge all on their own, even if no officer witnessed the incident.

Also, I am suspecting that the UK has an entirely different definition of felony assault from what some UKanian commenters are saying. In the US, what Clarkson did is simple or misdemeanor assault, not felony assault.

Last edited:
If Oisin presses charges it says a lot about the man. He is a victim no question but Clarkson has done everything he can too make it right. Whats done is done. Move on and put all of this behind you. Dragging it out will do absolutely nothing in the end but cause more hurt.

No doubt that Clarkson overstepped his bounds. So did the BBC in his firing.

It's widely accepted that high-profile entertainers live in a different universe when it comes to disciplinary action for their indiscretions. The BBC was licking their chops at the thought of treating Clarkson like a commoner once and for all. These sorts of dust-ups happen in professional sports every other day. At worst the players are fined and suspended. At best they're sitting out a penalty for a few minutes.

Investigating Clarkson should have taken place while the final 3 episodes aired. He should have been given the opportunity to apologize, shake hands and move on.

If the police investigated every split lip in England, they'd be no time to investigate anything else.

I fear that Top Gear was the anchor that kept him in line during his recent family troubles and without it he'll be adrift. I wish him luck and I hope he can take a break and sort out whatever demons he's dealing with right now.

Now let's ring up the North Koreans and have them hack the last few films out of the BBC's computers, shall we? :)

I don't think it's a fluke at all that James May got into television, he really does have what it takes to be a proper presenter I certainly hope he doesn't quite television I was just worried he'd quit Top Gear and now this?

I don't think it's a fluke at all that James May got into television, he really does have what it takes to be a proper presenter I certainly hope he doesn't quite television I was just worried he'd quit Top Gear and now this?

I'd be surprised if he didn't continue with things like Oz and James or his Toy Stories show. He just might not want to be a full time presenter anymore.

Last edited:
Netflix would take him. One of their biggest hits - Orange is the New Black - is based on a woman who spent a year in prison for felony money-laundering.

Anyone remember a show called "The Wire"? They had an actress who had priors and had been serving time for multiple, gang-related homicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.