Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a journalism student, boy do I wish more interviewees were as courteous and understanding as James. What a gent.
James May has always been class act and he is proving it with this latest incident. I even think he is having a bit of fun with them.

As a journalism student, boy do I wish more interviewees were as courteous and understanding as James. What a gent.

Yes, he is. Unlike the journalists...

I sure hope there will be some video footage from that first live event, at least the intro/opening speeches and whatnot...

Yes, he is. Unlike the journalists...

Yeah, I can't get over their arrogant tone of voice. They wouldn't get anything but contempt from me that way, that's for sure.

Apparently if you look up "class act" in the next edition of the OED, the definition given is "James May". What a gentleman. At least someone involved with TG is going to come out of this whole sorry saga with dignity.

He's a class act all right but in my opinion not in the way that you want to think. I will never forgive him for making us believe that it was 'a bit of a dust up' and nothing to worry about, that he didn't see it, because he was blind drunk but evidently now he did..he should have just kept a dignified silence as Richard has done throughout. Saying that Oisin should have fought back is patently stupid in an situation where your 'boss' is telling you that you're going to be fired... As for his #stillunemployed stuff - having to justify your tweets every few days to people who really are unemployed should have given him a hint that many were finding his tweets in bad taste, but then again it never ceases to amaze me how much James can contemplate his own backside. He is having fun with the doorsteppers but the result of that is now I do not believe one single word that comes out of his mouth....

...and that's sad. And then there's Richard who has managed to stay out of the way of the Press (ok his house is better protected from that point of view but he still has Press camped out at his gates) and protect his family, but still went and fulfilled his filming commitments in the days after the suspension - an episode of 'Would I Lie to You' where basically he was ragged solidly for 2 hours and still turned up, not looking his best, on Comic Relief. Last weekend he was out doing a bit for one of the charities he supports...

It must be a hellishly difficult time for both of them but I never thought that I would see the dasy when James would become the 'media whore' of the TG3!

Whats the deal with the lost episodes? Take out the news and the stars and you've probably got a 1 hour show.

I had this thought this morning, what if it was the other way around? What if Oissy hit Clarkson and then apologised. Would Ois still be with the show...

Last edited:
Whats the deal with the lost episodes? Take out the news and the stars and you've probably got a 1 hour show.

Jeremy was a writer on the segments. Whole huge can of worms about rights, credits and payment right there.

Maybe we will get extra footage as a final send off.

I can't imagine they'll have problems with Jeremy regarding rights or what not with the unaired episodes, even if they needed his permission these episodes aren't being put together by some cronies that the BBC dug out of the basement it's the Top Gear team.
I don't know why Clarkson wouldn't want the films he worked tirelessly on for what would become his last on Top Gear be shut in some vault never to be seen again, and not to mention he's about to go out and do Top Gear live with them how awkward would that be if he was blocking them with the unaired episodes while trying to put on a show with them.
If I learned anything about Clarkson from Ben Colins book it's that what Clarkson really cares about is putting on the best show possible.

I had this thought this morning, what if it was the other way around? What if Oissy hit Clarkson and then apologised. Would Ois still be with the show...

I'd wager no, he'd be sacked and sacked quietly and we'd never hear a word about it.

Only if she's a black muslim lesbian cunt-bag.

Was that really necessary?

Jeremy was a writer on the segments. Whole huge can of worms about rights, credits and payment right there.

Shouldn't be. For copyright purposes it was created for the BBC under the terms of his BBC contract. He would therefore have no claim with regards to either image rights or intellectual property.

What is the relationship between bbcworld and the bbc?

Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Was that really necessary?

Shouldn't be. For copyright purposes it was created for the BBC under the terms of his BBC contract. He would therefore have no claim with regards to either image rights or intellectual property.

Yup, you'd think it would be that simple, but when it comes to writing for TV or film, it is anything but. See below.

I can't imagine they'll have problems with Jeremy regarding rights or what not with the unaired episodes, even if they needed his permission these episodes aren't being put together by some cronies that the BBC dug out of the basement it's the Top Gear team.
I don't know why Clarkson wouldn't want the films he worked tirelessly on for what would become his last on Top Gear be shut in some vault never to be seen again, and not to mention he's about to go out and do Top Gear live with them how awkward would that be if he was blocking them with the unaired episodes while trying to put on a show with them.

Nobody said that Clarkson is being obstructionist about it. Even when all parties are amicable *and* want the work to proceed, dealing with writer's rights, crediting and pay after the writer has been terminated is a rather complex issue that can take considerable time to sort out. Firing an on-camera personality is simple, firing a writer whose creation you are going to continue to use (even if he or she wants you to use it and doesn't want anything they haven't already gotten from you) is complex and legally difficult if you want to keep using the material they created. This is the part I would have expected to take the BBC the three weeks to sort out, not the 'investigation'.

If the BBC hadn't been idiots, they should have suspended or terminated him as a presenter but retained him as a writer under his contract and had him barred from the set for the remainder of the run, produced the last three episodes on schedule, then terminated/refused to renew contracts after the season was over. But nooooooooooo...

Last edited:
Nobody said that Clarkson is being obstructionist about it. Even when all parties are amicable *and* want the work to proceed, dealing with writer's rights, crediting and pay after the writer has been terminated is a rather complex issue that can take considerable time to sort out. Firing an on-camera personality is simple, firing a writer whose creation you are going to continue to use (even if he or she wants you to use it and doesn't want anything they haven't already gotten from you) is complex and legally difficult if you want to keep using the material they created. This is the part I would have expected to take the BBC the three weeks to sort out, not the 'investigation'.
Your thinking is much too American/WGA in this aspect. Over here, if your work as a writer/presenter for TV under an employment contract everything you produce during your working day is owned by your employer. Complicated rights discussions only come in with freelance/spec script writers, i.e. when people are paid for the rights to their script, not for the time they spend at work writing.

I just don't see the concern, any issues sorted or not probably won't factor into the airing of the episodes as no dates seem to have been set I doubt they plan on airing it next week and I think we'd be lucky to see it in the coming months, this is the BBC we're talking about. I mean who really cares if some BBC lawyer does or does not get some extra work.

Your thinking is much too American/WGA in this aspect. Over here, if your work as a writer/presenter for TV under an employment contract everything you produce during your working day is owned by your employer. Complicated rights discussions only come in with freelance/spec script writers, i.e. when people are paid for the rights to their script, not for the time they spend at work writing.

I know it's that way in continental Europe, but the last I'd heard, British law and the Beeb in particular ran pretty close to the WGA checklist. In fact, during the last WGA strike, I recall the Brits being held up as an example of how it should be, in part.

Status
Not open for further replies.