Clarkson: Jezza reviews the Chrysler Sebring

Chrysler just fails at automaking........??????

So what you're saying is you have a car maker that is crap at making cars? I suppose it's fitting in a way. After all McDonalds can't produce anything edible, Coca-cola can't produce anything drinkable........ is being crap at your job a new national pastime over there? If so Dubya started it.

This from a man from the country that gave us British Leyland. You have no room to complain about another country producing crap as a national pastime. :p

Besides, I'd still rather drink New Coke and eat a McDonalds "burger" than consume what is laughingly called British cuisine. :p And I really HATED New Coke and haven't been to McDonalds in 7 years.

Clarkson and every Motoring journalist ever is correct. The sebring is a horrible car across the range and should have been killed off after the 300c came into play. With the exception of big V8's all Chryslers engines are raspy, weedy, thirsty and can't get out of their own way. I refuse to believe that Chrysler wasn't capable of building good engines while in bed with Daimler Benz.

And for reliability ratings they are just about the worst. Ask any 300 or pacifica owners about the transmission issues with these cars.

Having driven both the current and last generation sedans i can say that chassis feels as if it were made of lincoln logs, it doesnt so much as shudder over bumps but crashes into them. Rear wheel hop like that is simply unacceptable in any car of this era.

And whoever designed the new look should now be doing designwork for luxury plungers.

The best thing that could ever happen to this car is its own demise.

Not a troll, just an informed opinion.
I haven't exactly sent many Chryslers in for mechanical work ie. tranny, engine, etc.

I have sent several Chryslers in for shoddy electronics and several constantly bring up the "Check engine" light. The Sebring particularly had a bad module that controls things like the power windows that Chrysler recalled it...our Sebring we had at the time had all its electronics fail the moment we got notice of the recall. Just Wednesday I was hoping to get rid our only Sebring giving it to a branch desperate for cars...it just had to have another electrical failure forcing my branch to keep the bloody car and have it fixed.

But it has a magically chilled cupholder and a few creases in the hood, and everybody knows that such things automatically make the Sebring the most amazing car ever.

JEEZ.

Chrysler suffers from the same problem as the other two domestic car companies; it's supported mostly by trucks. They put more money into trucks than cars and it shows, most of the technology put into their cars, trickles down from trucks. Look at the HEMI V8, it came from a truck.

Trucks are all well and good, but you can't base an entire line-up from bits of them.. not if you want to build good cars, that is.

I haven't exactly sent many Chryslers in for mechanical work ie. tranny, engine, etc.

I have sent several Chryslers in for shoddy electronics and several constantly bring up the "Check engine" light. The Sebring particularly had a bad module that controls things like the power windows that Chrysler recalled it...our Sebring we had at the time had all its electronics fail the moment we got notice of the recall. Just Wednesday I was hoping to get rid our only Sebring giving it to a branch desperate for cars...it just had to have another electrical failure forcing my branch to keep the bloody car and have it fixed.

I have heard of a few electrical issues as well. I have two Uncles who have bought chryslers in the past 3 years. 1 uncle in Califonia bought a 300c and had the Trans blow to pieces within 20k mi. 2nd uncle in Detroit bought a sebring vert. and had the trans blow up and a couple other unrealted issues before switched and bought a pacifica and guess what? the trans needed to be rebuilt too. Chryser trans= ticking time bomb.

Actually, the 300C uses the E55 or one of the other Merc transmissions, IIRC. It's not all that great, but it's not a native Chrysler design either. Usually they last about 120K, then grenade.

How do I know? It's what they put in the blower V8 Jags until recently.

I will agree that their FWD transaxles are notoriously weak in general, though the ones in the LH and minivan are probably crippled by their undersized transmission coolers.

my mom's pt cruiser has worse electric issues than my bug :lol:

my mom's pt cruiser has worse electric issues than my bug :lol:
We never keep a PT Cruiser long enough to see problems with them since we try to get them moved to some other branch ASAP, like the Sebrings and Calibers. The difference being, the Sebrings constantly have problems the moment we acquire them while the Calibers start having problems a few days after we acquire them. The only Dodges we don't mind keeping are Caravans(since its either this or a Montana/Uplander).

Edit: I forgot about the 300, we also try to keep these since they're far better than the typical Chrysler car.

Last edited: