Jules Bianchi has passed...

:cry: Was really hoping he would pull through, but considering he wasn't able to get out of his coma, it's just devastating. RIP Jules.

Read something earlier this week, where is father was saying there had been no progress in a long while, and that if after 6 months things were not getting better, there was little hope. And that Jules had discuss what he wanted in a situation like this following MS accident, and that basically he'd rather not live.

Was kinda paving the way for this news. RIP JB :(

:(

Very sad news indeed.

Very sad news :( He was a great talent. Rest in peace Jules #JB17

It's sad day for Formula 1.

I hope it puts a stopper on those who constantly complain about Formula 1 not being dangerous or exciting enough anymore...

I don't think the world needs more drivers dying to get our fix of Formula 1 excitement. That's not my idea of danger I enjoy.

Terrible time for everyone, especially I feel Marussia who have now had two of their drivers die in accidents in their cars. Accident happened on the 20th year since Senna's death. It was a very good run for driver safety in Formula 1.

RIP

Gutted to hear the news. Was probably one of the brightest talents of the new generation and I was eager to see what he could do with a Ferrari, or anything at all for that matter. Remember having to leave home and take a long stroll through the woods after the Japanese GP just to clear my mind. Just awful...

I hope it puts a stopper on those who constantly complain about Formula 1 not being dangerous or exciting enough anymore...

I rather hope it stops the silly gimmick "in the name of safety" measures, when there are blatantly more obvious problems to be fixed.

Gutted to hear the news. Was probably one of the brightest talents of the new generation and I was eager to see what he could do with a Ferrari, or anything at all for that matter. Remember having to leave home and take a long stroll through the woods after the Japanese GP just to clear my mind. Just awful...

it wasn't till the next day i knew what happened.
they didn't show the crash on TV...

Tragic, but not unexpected.

Question: As he died some time after the accident and not directly at the track, will this count as a fatal accident in the F1 annals?

if not officially, he will be by the outside world...

Question: As he died some time after the accident and not directly at the track, will this count as a fatal accident in the F1 annals?

I would guess so, because of what happened to Ronnie Peterson.

Yes, he died as a direct result of injuries sustained during an accident that occurred during the race. On the same note, Indycar counts Swede Savage's crash during the 1973 Indy 500 as a fatal accident even though he died in hospital a month and a half after the race itself.

Ah, that's good... well, you know what I mean.

The reason I asked is because I read some conspiracy theory about Senna's being declared dead had been "postponed" until he was at the hospital to avoid having an "on-track death". No clue how much of that is actually true.

^IIRC they do that on purpose. If a death happens during the race (as I think this is the case with Bianchi, no way he would have survived for more than a few minutes if the first aid guys weren't there), it is treated as a road accident.

Ie

- Police need to be on the scene, coroner, doctor, etc, road needs to be closed off, CSI team on standby .... which is a bit difficult if there's 100.000 people there.
So because of that every driver is pronounced dead elsewhere

Yeah I think it's fair enough we have to reset the "Years since the last fatality in an F1 race" back to 0. Which is sad, since all that's been done lately in the name of safety.