Keyboards, again

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
In the last week or so, my computer has developed an irritating problem (although, I guess most problems are, by definition, irritating! :p). The keyboard will randomly decide not to work. No warning, just stops responding when the keys are hit.

Details:
Computer: Oldie-goldie Compaq Presario desktop
Windows 7
Inland corded keyboard (num lock and other power lights remain on when problem is occurring)

Problem will go away if the computer is properly shut down and restarted.

Any ideas on a fix? I haven't tried swapping out the keyboard, but I could try the aux. cordless keyboard from my laptop.

TIA
SquareLeft

PS2 or USB?

Unfortunately, you have two suspect pieces of hardware so it could be either - Presarios didn't have great hardware quality and the Inland keyboards are more than a bit crappy.

I'm assuming USB and I'd be inclined to test the reliability of other devices and see if you're PC is putting out consistent USB power. I wouldn't consider the lights a definitive indication that it's getting enough power.

Alternatively I'd want to have a second keyboard plugged in and see what happens when the first one stops responding.

PS2 or USB?

Unfortunately, you have two suspect pieces of hardware so it could be either - Presarios didn't have great hardware quality and the Inland keyboards are more than a bit crappy.

PS2 - the infamous "purple plug".

I've heard people complain about the Presarios before, but this one has been a gem. I bought it new in - I think - 2006 and have not had any real problems with it.

I treat computers like some non-car people treat their vehicles... I buy them new and use them until they die. :D

I'm assuming USB and I'd be inclined to test the reliability of other devices and see if you're PC is putting out consistent USB power. I wouldn't consider the lights a definitive indication that it's getting enough power.

Alternatively I'd want to have a second keyboard plugged in and see what happens when the first one stops responding.

I didn't have time to do it today, but I'll swipe the keyboard and USB sender from my laptop tomorrow. The laptop doesn't get used much, so it won't be a problem.

BTW - thanks to both of you for the replies!

SL

PS2 - the infamous "purple plug".

I've heard people complain about the Presarios before, but this one has been a gem. I bought it new in - I think - 2006 and have not had any real problems with it.

I treat computers like some non-car people treat their vehicles... I buy them new and use them until they die. :D

Which wasn't all that long with the Presarios. I unfortunately have lots of experience with many, many, many Presarios bought by clueless clients.

But yes, try a USB keyboard. It's possible that the PS/2 filter chip died, not an uncommon failure.

When was the last time you cleaned out all the dust bunnies?

When was the last time you cleaned out all the dust bunnies?

I vacuum the computer religiously - at least every 2 months or so. Years ago, I lost a pile of data when a computer overheated.

In the Presario's defense, I'll have to say that it's the easiest computer to clean that I've ever owned. Undo one knob and the whole side slides off. It sits on the floor with plenty of air-space around it and I have that side turned so that I can open it easily when I'm vacuuming under the desk. And yes, I vacuum under there weekly and always vacuum the computer vents from the outside, but make it a point to take off the side cover regularly and get inside the computer.

In reply to Spectre's "clueless" comment, I always try to check with my IT buddies before I buy major components. Back in the day when I bought this computer, the Presario came well-recommended. I'm also a HP fan, of sorts. They're always at the top of my list when I'm component-shopping... not that they're necessarily cutting-edge but because I've had such good luck with their products.

SL

SquareLeft, I mean this in the least offensive way but ... PS2 - c'mon, it's 2017 :D

I had to use a PS/2 keyboard the other week, new type of Dell machine at work that wouldn't even let me use a USB keyboard or mouse without injecting drivers into Windows at installation. :lol:

I also remember why I don't like PS/2. I killed a motherboard and PSU simply by plugging in a PS/2 wireless keyboard receiver while the machine was on.

But low latency! :p

SquareLeft, I mean this in the least offensive way but ... PS2 - c'mon, it's 2017 :D

Believe me, I'm not insulted! But please remember that old people generally view electronic devices differently than younger folks. Add to that the fact that we don't have kids, so there's really no pressure on us to update equipment unless it fails to meet our needs.

We use this computer for email, internet access, photo storage and some word processing/spreadsheet work. Neither of us like electronic games, so we don't have issues with processing speed or storage limits.

I can't remember why I bought this keyboard, but I do remember that I was at MicroCenter and they were on sale for something like $5.95. That was long enough ago that the painted letters are worn off several of the keys! So, even if I end up replacing this keyboard, I'll certainly have gotten my moneys-worth out of it!

The wireless keyboard is set up and I've tested it, so I know that it's functional and ready if this one decides to 'freeze-up' again. It'll be interesting to see what happens!

SL

OK, the keyboard locked up again this morning.
The USB keyboard continued to function.
Therefore, I'm thinking that I should replace the old PS2 keyboard with a new USB one.
I'll probably go with another corded keyboard because the battery in the one for the laptop seems to die only when (a) I have something important to do and (b) there are no new batteries in the house, so I have to rob one out of something else! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments!

SL

I'm surprised that the Inland keyboard lasted this long. I usually only get those for clients demanding the cheapest possible stuff and it's rare for them to last more than a year or so.

Look at the Logitech line of input devices - they make a wide range of devices among which are several decent low-priced keyboards. Even their bargain basement wired keyboards aren't as bad as the Inland garbage: http://www.microcenter.com/product/345154/K120_Wired_Keyboard

We use this computer for email, internet access, photo storage and some word processing/spreadsheet work. Neither of us like electronic games, so we don't have issues with processing speed or storage limits.

I hope you aren't trusting a computer from 2006 to hold the only copy of your photos?

You do have backups?

Right?