Keyboards!

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
If we are going to have a mice thread we damn well better have a keyboard one.

Anyhow I've been using Model Ms since my family's first computer (IBM PS/2 25). I've yet to find something better. The tactile response and layout are perfect. Admittedly the springs are loud, but I'm the only one who uses these things so it isn't an issue for me. :p

I'm still using that keyboard today. It has been dropped several feet on cement floors, been subjected to gamer rage, and otherwise abused since the late 80s. I've only had to replace a couple missing key caps and two springs (I'm nerdy enough to have a Lexmark parts one around for such purposes).

I still prefer the PS/2 ones, but am now using a USB Unicomp Customizer 104 on my desktop (damn Apple and Microsoft and their insistence of extra buttons).

Ranting aside here she be in all her sexiness:
Unicomp_keyboard.jpg

What keyboards do you use, desire, and or hate?

Last edited:
Nice! As a fellow computer enthusiast, I'm ashamed to not know more about keyboards. But apparently the "purists" prefer the mechanical PS/2 keyboards over the non-springgy USB (something about NKROs and not having the keystrokes go through USB driver control) and the IBM Model M are the crme de la creme of keyboards. Those are now worth quite the money since they are not only collectibles but very functional!

Currently own this, a run of the mill feather-light keyboard from micro innovations, only thing cool is that it has the extra large letters:

http://img69.imageshack.**/img69/7976/img1325x.jpg

Before that I used to have a Saitek Eclipse illuminated keyboard but that died a few months ago and I decided that at this point I really can't justify spending more than $15 on a keyboard so I went with the cheapo stuff.

length.jpg

eclipse.jpg

The Eclipse was a really good one, I may get another in the future but I think I may just opt for one of the mechanical keyboards, either a Model M (if I can find one for good price) or just have to settle for one of the modern mechanicals.

Keyboards I just can't stand: Model M, Model M and Model M.

I absolutely love the tactile feedback and the springy click of the mechanical keyboards. Some of the cheaper, mushy-membrane feel keyboards are just yuck! Especially laptops!

My local microcenter carries the Das Model S, and it is an absolute beauty of a keyboard:
attachment.php

But I'd love have an original IBM Model M:
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/8393/800pxmodelm.jpg
Those things are the king of keyboards! :D

Unicomp sells new Model Ms. ~$80 and you can get them in USB to boot. To my knowledge only the Model Ms used buckling springs, other mechanical keyboards use cherry and ALPS switches.

Ah, good to know. Buckling springs sounds right, they are probably the loudest and most clicky. Found a useful thread on one of my computer forums that I frequent that has more info than anyone should ever know about keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Das Model S Ultimate: Hardcore typist keyboard with no key labels! :blink: Supposedly for the purest of the purists who demand the best contact between their finger-tips and keys for the best tactile feedback!
2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've been using DAS for about a year and it's a pretty good all rounder (typing - gaming), the only one I found to be better for both is Filco's 107 Majestouch on Blue Cherry switches. If you want old school mechanicals then go M1 or Topre (significantly more expensive). As for 10-f typing only there's nothing better than the good old curved $25 Microsoft Natural.

M$ Natural Ergonomic 4000
takes a little getting used to, but then nobody ever wants to use your PC again :p
microsoft-natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000.gif

(eagle eyed members be advised: the thing sticking out at the front is a little stand one can use to tilt the keyboard the exact opposite direction a keyboard usually gets tilted... i don't do that though)

Last edited:
Ah, good to know. Buckling springs sounds right, they are probably the loudest and most clicky. Found a useful thread on one of my computer forums that I frequent that has more info than anyone should ever know about keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Das Model S Ultimate: Hardcore typist keyboard with no key labels! :blink: Supposedly for the purest of the purists who demand the best contact between their finger-tips and keys for the best tactile feedback!
2.jpg

1.jpg

It's the best. No one can use your computer.

Sadly, I'm not skilled enough... I might be able to type with it, but for games it'd be impossible for all but the normal WASD cluster.

I don't even know what I have. Some Logitech budget POS. I need a new one. Hopefully keys will start to die soon and then I'll have an excuse. Must. Forum. Harder.

At home, Logitech S510. Still going strong after 4 years and a nasty coffee spill. Admittedly the labels on the media buttons are wearing off but I know what they do.

I've looked at replacing it but I can't find a good equivalent, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

At work, an old HP keyboard. it's old because I have a PS/2 KVM that doesn't like USB adapters. The space bar is broken so I have to hit it in exactly the right place. It's still good though, it's actually nicer to type on than my Logitech.

Sadly, I'm not skilled enough... I might be able to type with it, but for games it'd be impossible for all but the normal WASD cluster.

Get this -- I'm not a home row typer (I type mostly with my two index fingers), but I never look at my keyboard either. I go entirely off touch and just knowing where the keys are. :p

At home, Logitech S510. Still going strong after 4 years and a nasty coffee spill.

You can take apart most keyboards. I tool apart my old one and washed all the keys and internals (minus the little circuit board of course) multiple times (spillage, dirty, etc.). :)

Last edited:
You can take apart most keyboards. I tool apart my old one and washed all the keys and internals (minus the little circuit board of course) multiple times (spillage, dirty, etc.). :)

I tried to take it apart but after undoing every screw it was still somehow attached. I think I sat there for an hour trying to find out what else I needed to do to get it apart but eventually gave up.

I tried to take it apart but after undoing every screw it was still somehow attached. I think I sat there for an hour trying to find out what else I needed to do to get it apart but eventually gave up.

they like hiding screws under some sort of sticker with the serial number or something on it.
also, in addition to screws there's sometimes those plasticky things that go click when they snap shut.
i had to "break" into my keyboard to clean it as well, bit of force was required :|

Well i use this:

and this:

/me wants backlight :( and windows button on the upper kb :p

Optimus+Maximus.JPG

One day...when I'm rich and famous.

Optimus Maximus LED keys keyboard

One day...when I'm rich and famous.

That thing is absolute rubbish to type on. I've tried it. That said, it's definitely cool :)

I have this keyboard too.
I use the stand. It actually makes it have a more natural angle.

doesn't the stand make you like raise your arm up all the time or something?
my arms normally are completely flat on my table (the keyboard is ca. 30cm from the edge), that's why i just can't even think how the stand could work.
maybe i'll give it a try...