Kids send Marcus the lamb to slaughter

1 cup (20g) cilantro, roughly chopped
6 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp dark soy sauce
4 Tbsp mirin, Chinese rice wine or sherry
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
16 single-rib lamb chops

To serve: Grilled potatoes, green salad or steamed green beans
Combine the cilantro, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin and garlic in a shallow baking dish. Add the chops, turning well to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.

Preheat the grill or grill pan to very hot. Brush with oil. Grill the chops to taste (4-6 minutes on each side for medium) until the edges are browned and caramelized. Transfer the chops to a platter and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving with grilled potatoes and a green salad or steamed green beans.

Oh! Sorry! Thought this was the Food section.

Great. Now look at what you've done.

homer-drool.gif

And spicysaurus: :thumbup:

I am afraid to think about what will happed if PETAs scare tactics work and PETA ends up winning and the whole world goes vegetarian. I am afraid of escalation. If PETA wins in say 20 years... then 20 years after that people will start to think that plants are living things too...

A truly terrifying thought.

They won't "win" anything- other than a few people. It is extremely unlikely that they would make everyone vegetarian, people would not do it.

Again I must make the distinction- plants have no brain. No nerves. And no conciousness. Even some of the vegetarians I have met said they will always draw the line there. What frightens me is that sensationalistic idiots such as those who make up PETA will be able to use bullshit tactics to make people think plants deserve consideration as well. This takes it way too far. And sadly, while there are some "animal rights" arguments that actually make a kind of sense, they are never the ones you hear big animal-rights groups discussing- it's always, "cute, cute cuddly-wuddly". Newsflash here, animals- including humans- are not cuddly-wuddly little balls of fuzz, they are capable of violence and cruelty of all kinds. This does include humans however. And it is from that point these arguments should be started.

You aren't seriously equating plants with animals here are you? A plant doesn't a have a brain. Or nerves. Or conciousness. That's why even the pasty little PETA people will eat them.
I'm not equating plants with animals. I'm just saying that they are living things too. Also, plants do have a basic nervous system, but not like the animal nervous system. Since they don't have a brain and consciousness, they will not be aware of a bad condition that something caused on them. However, the severing of a plant's veins that act like a nervous system will automatically trigger processes in order to repair a part of their body that has been damaged, just like in animals. They might not feel pain in the way an animal feels it, instantaneously, but because of the loss of fluid, the change in hormones to allow for healing and the missing part of their organism, they will still suffer. So animals will feel someone cutting off a limb from them instantly, while a plant will not feel it instantly, but will feel like it is suddenly getting sick and unable to support itself ... kind if like being slowly poisoned .. you don't feel it right away and you can't tell something's hurting, but you know something's wrong.

So by that logic, a person or animal who loses consciousness or the major functions of its brain does not count anymore. I wonder if the PETA fucktards will kill and eat an animal and not have moral doubts if it doesn't feel itself being killed.

I think I might have typed it wrong. I know plants are alive. I mean they literally breathe. Only where animals need oxygen to stay alive plants need CO2.
False. Plants need oxygen AND CO2. Oxygen for breathing, CO2 for photosynthesis.

Even today farmers take good care of their animals because they are a product and they provide the farmer his bread and butter.
:rolleyes:

Plants don't breathe, they photosynthesize.
Plants breathe. They intake O2 and expel CO2 in order to feed their inner cells with the oxygen needed for survival. Also, some parts of some plants intake CO2 and expel O2 as a result of photosynthesis, the process of turning mineral intakes into nutrients that the plant cells can feed upon.

All plants breathe. But not all plants photosynthesize. Those that do photosynthesize output much more O2 than they intake. The also intake much more CO2 than they output. So the net equation is they turn CO2 into O2, but it's more complicated than that.

Last edited:
^It depends upon whether conciousness is a normal state. If someone is in a consistently comatose state where they have no mental or physical activity and it is likely they will stay that way, they should not be given the same priority as a normally-conscious human or animal. And I (not being a PETA idiot, but speaking nonetheless) would have far less of a problem killing and/or eating any animal, (including humans if I was starving) who had no conscious mind.

Plants breathe. They intake O2 and expel CO2 in order to feed their inner cells with the oxygen needed for survival. Also, some parts of some plants intake CO2 and expel O2 as a result of photosynthesis, the process of turning mineral intakes into nutrients that the plant cells can feed upon.

All plants breathe. But not all plants photosynthesize. Those that do photosynthesize output much more O2 than they intake. The also intake much more CO2 than they output. So the net equation is they turn CO2 into O2, but it's more complicated than that.

Plants don't breathe. You could definitely say they respirate, but not breathe, unless maybe you're using the same sort of definition as letting your socks breathe if they're stinky. Nothing that lacks lungs could possibly breathe.

And I won't even touch the plants having nervous system thing. How did this topic devolve into such lunacy?