Killing Your Heart with Punisher Bass (56k go order pizza)

This was my first time making my family's famous lemon meringue pie totally solo. It's always been a join effort between my mom and I, but due to health reasons I was on my own for making all of thanksgiving dinner this year. The pie in the picture however was made about a week later, normally these are only made once a year, but a few months ago I picked up something that wound up being worth its weight in gold.

il_570xN.262556621.jpg

Mine doesn't look exactly like that, but it's very similar, a vintage "Juice King" that I got for about $1.50 at Goodwill. I wish I had gotten one of these YEARS ago instead of squeezing the lemons by hand. It not only cut the prep time down to a fraction of what it normally would be, but it also extracted far more juice from each lemon, and I didn't kill my hands trying to crush the life out of them for every precious drop of juice. Because of this little miracle device and having some left over supplies on hand, I decided to make some more "off season", and I'll probably be willing to make more in the near future. I need to practice and refine things anyway.

Put the lemons in the microwave for a couple of seconds and you'll get more juice out. Hands > buying extra equipment.

Put the lemons in the microwave for a couple of seconds and you'll get more juice out. Hands > buying extra equipment.

What we do is leave them out overnight so they're at room temp and then roll them on the counter before they get cut.

That was my first try and making it a few nights ago, tonight will be my second. With that one I just covered it in butter, salt, and pepper. Tonight I'm trying a spice rub I made, olive oil instead of butter, and I'm letting them (yes them) marinate in the fridge for a few hours before putting them to fire. We'll see how they come out, once I'm happy with the results I'll get to writing the recipe out.

Only downside is that no one will be able to make it without a rotisserie setup of some sort, be it a motor or just sitting next to a fire for a couple hours turning by hand. There is no way to replicate this without one.

I still want to see the end result.

:heavyb:

I can recommend brining the chicken first, if you haven't done that already.

If I ever had a problem with my chicken or turkey coming out dry, I would look into doing a brine, but never once has it happened to me.

They're on the grill right now, we'll see how they come out in a couple hours.

20150808_181645_-_Copy.jpg

MacGyver Rotisserie 3.0 died tonight about a half hour into cooking. I don't know if I over stressed it with the weight of two birds (possible since I've no idea what it was rated for), or if the plastic guts inside were just too brittle after sitting around for so many years. I cracked it open and found stripped teeth on several cogs, so I yanked the metal cog that attaches to the spit and got to work.

Using bits of my dad's old Erector Set and my dremel, I've constructed MacGyver Rotisserie 4.0. It was really more just to see if I could do it, but I might try running with it as is, we'll see. Though I'll probably invest in a proper kit for my grill rather than keep dicking around with this setup, it was fun to build something though.

We are cocked, locked, and ready to rock with the new rig.

[video=youtube;zhgjYz-Ab6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgjYz-Ab6c[/video]

i don't always put chicken on the bbq, but when i do, it's got a pint up its as!!

I ain't dead yet mother fuckers!

20160923_231057.jpg

I finally slayed my culinary white whale, fried chicken.