Koenigsegg underestimated?

LoneWolf

Having watched this last year of Top Gear, there have been a number of supercars that have come along and pushed the power lap times further and further. For me, the whole interest in the super car power laps started when the Mclaren SLR came along, which was followed by the Carrera GT. Then my fave, the Enzo came along and held the crown, which was subsequently beaten by another Enzo in a racing outfit, the Masrati MC-12. A few weeks ago the Zonda reappeared to take the fastest honours, and now we know that if and when the Bugatti arrives, it'll probably set the fastest lap.

The Top Gear power laps are therefore (for me at least) the ultimate (and only) benchmark for me to tell which supercars are the best in terms of performance. And it makes sense because each new car that comes along usually has more power, top speed, and/or power to weight ratio etc (i.e. Mclaren then Carrera GT then Enzo then Maserati all follow a progressive pattern of power/speed/weight etc).

However, there're just one slight anomily with the top part of the power laps, the Koenigsegg. Before the arrival of the Bugatti, it was the only car to beat the Mclaren F1's long standing top speed record, no small feat. So I would surely have expected it to do a lot better then the time it currently stands at. I remember seeing the episode when (old) Stig took it round the track, he was struggling a bit with the handling, but the Carrera GT wasn't that great at handling either, didn't stop (new) Stig from practising all morning until he got it right.

And if I'm not mistaken, they also made a 700 BHP Koenigsegg as well, which only now has the Bugatti topped. Why didn't they get that on the track and gave that a go? They got the new Zonda to go round again and set a new record (much faster then the old time), I'm pretty sure the new Koenigsegg would have also blitzed the lap.

Perhaps I'm making a fuss over nothing, it's just that I think before they get the big bad Bugatti on the track, they should at least give the second fastest road car of all time a decent run to prove what it's worth. And then we can see what the fastest road car of all time is made of. :)

Lone... I honestly think that the Koenigsegg (even the new one) wouldn't do so well on the track... remember on fifth gear Tiff complained that the koenigsegg had really tall gears so it can achieve its top speed... I doubt the top speed is going to have any use on such a small track and the tall gear ratios aren't going to help either.
Perhaps the new koenigsegg was slower round the track and thats why TG didn't want to put it on?

andyhui01 said:
Lone... I honestly think that the Koenigsegg (even the new one) wouldn't do so well on the track... remember on fifth gear Tiff complained that the koenigsegg had really tall gears so it can achieve its top speed... I doubt the top speed is going to have any use on such a small track and the tall gear ratios aren't going to help either.
Perhaps the new koenigsegg was slower round the track and thats why TG didn't want to put it on?

Slower then the original? If I'm not mistaken, it has at least 100BHP more then the old Koenigsegg, surely that would have improved at least a bit?

I'm not in entire disagreement with you here, I do think that the handling of the Koenigsegg is somewhat weak, but hey the Ford GT went round faster then it did, and it's American!

No disrespect to Perry Mccarthy (spelling!) but I do think the new Stig might be able to take it round faster then he did.

I'm sure the Top Gear crew is eager to test the Koenigsegg CCR, but AFAIK Koenigsegg doesn't give it to them.
Considering the fact that the old CC8S broke down when Jeremy tested it and the CCR also broke down on Fift Gear, I can understand why... :unsure:

andyhui01 said:
Yeah agreed and I trust a guy like Tiff. Not Clarkson. He's just pure entertainment.

Oh and its broken down several times :thumbsdown:

The Con-ig-zeg (I dont bother with the spelling anymore) is a great car but it just isnt as good as its competition IMO. But what do I know? I'm 15.

And if you tell someone you own one, they will reply "I'v never heard of it before and how do you spell it?".

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
andyhui01 said:
Yeah agreed and I trust a guy like Tiff. Not Clarkson. He's just pure entertainment.

Oh and its broken down several times :thumbsdown:

The Con-ig-zeg (I dont bother with the spelling anymore) is a great car but it just isnt as good as its competition IMO. But what do I know? I'm 15.

And if you tell someone you own one, they will reply "I'v never heard of it before and how do you spell it?".

Some valid points. But remember that it's a supercar, and reliability isn't one of the strong points in this category. I mean, the Italians are world leaders in terms of supercars, and I don't the word 'reliability' appears in the Italian dictionary!

And yes, I agree no one at a dinner party will have heard of the car and neither will they be able to spell it, but no one will have heard of the Ascari, either.

Why Koengisegg?
There is stronger rival, I mean Saleen S7 Twin Turbo with I don't remember but it will have around 1000 HP, when this will appear all supercars, even the Veyron will be beaten, I've got no doubt about it.
Any one can think about better car that guys form TG can test?

LoneWolf said:
andyhui01 said:

Slower then the original? If I'm not mistaken, it has at least 100BHP more then the old Koenigsegg, surely that would have improved at least a bit?

I'm not in entire disagreement with you here, I do think that the handling of the Koenigsegg is somewhat weak, but hey the Ford GT went round faster then it did, and it's American!

No disrespect to Perry Mccarthy (spelling!) but I do think the new Stig might be able to take it round faster then he did.

I understand that the new koenigsegg has 100bhp more... but as I said, the gear ratios were built for top speed and therefore the gears were really tall... which isn't a good thing on a small tight track

Aston Martin Lagonda said:
Why Koengisegg?
There is stronger rival, I mean Saleen S7 Twin Turbo with I don't remember but it will have around 1000 HP, when this will appear all supercars, even the Veyron will be beaten, I've got no doubt about it.
Any one can think about better car that guys form TG can test?

I have heard about the Saleen S7, it seems to have impressive figures, but I just don't have that much confidence in American cars and feel it'll fall well short of what it could have achieved if it were engineered by Europeans or even the Japanese.

andyhui01 said:
LoneWolf said:
andyhui01 said:

I understand that the new koenigsegg has 100bhp more... but as I said, the gear ratios were built for top speed and therefore the gears were really tall... which isn't a good thing on a small tight track

Actually, speaking of top speed, won't the Veryon have the same problem as the Koenigsegg because it too is buit for ultimate speeds?

thats what I've been argueing on the other threads as well... and remember, it was your speculation that the veyron will blitz the track... my speculation is that the Zonda will stay at the top...

i've noticed that every new season of TG the lap record is broken. i reckon next season the koenigsegg/veyron will beat the lap record, no matter what their gear ratios are.

LoneWolf said:
andyhui01 said:
LoneWolf said:
andyhui01 said:

Actually, speaking of top speed, won't the Veryon have the same problem as the Koenigsegg because it too is buit for ultimate speeds?
Well, if you consider 2,5 seconds to 62mph and 7.3 seconds to 124 slow, then yes. :p

Furthermore, the Veyron has 7 gears so there's less need for tall gearing. Even if there would be a problem, the Veyron would have a lot of torque to compensate that.

andyhui01 said:
thats what I've been argueing on the other threads as well... and remember, it was your speculation that the veyron will blitz the track... my speculation is that the Zonda will stay at the top...

Yeah but then again it's hard to imagine a car like the Veryon won't take the lap record. In JC's own words when the Enzo set the lap, "We can't think of anything other then the Bugatti Veryon, which may or may never happen, which will come close to this time". And of course it has happened.

BTW don't cars like the Veryon and the Koenigsegg have seven gears? I know that American Saleen car has, wouldn't that have an impact on the gear ratios? And can't they adjust the gear ratios for a small track like the Top Gear one?

If that above paragraph sounds stupid then I apologise, my technical car knowledge is very lacking!

osabros said:
i've noticed that every new season of TG the lap record is broken. i reckon next season the koenigsegg/veyron will beat the lap record, no matter what their gear ratios are.

IF they ever get the Koenigsegg on. My feeling is we won't see it on again, particularly considering what JC ponited out about these cars being very expensive to manufacture.

Koenigsegg doesnt have 7, saleen doesnt have 7. only cars on sale now that have 7 speeds are the M5 and the Veyron, along with MB's with the optional 7speed auto.

bartboy9891 said:
Koenigsegg doesnt have 7, saleen doesnt have 7. only cars on sale now that have 7 speeds are the M5 and the Veyron, along with MB's with the optional 7speed auto.

The M6 has 7 gears as well :roll:

Anyways, nobody knows if the CCR will beat the Zonda F. I didn't think the Zonda was going to be that much faster, considering it only has 50bhp more than the S and weighs about the same.

The CCR will be on the track, TG would make fools of themselves if they didn't, just see how many are crying for it.

The Veyron will be an interesting on, because it is hugely powerful, but even heavier than the SLR. But then again the tires are about as large as my car, so skidpad numbers are good. We'll see...

Another factor one has to mention is that the new stig is faster than the old one, plain and simpel. So the old times are somewhat hard to compare to the new ones, which is one reason the Zonda made such a leap to the top.

Looking forward to see how it turns out, hoping the Zonda F will beat them all. Obviously.

the koenigesegg team started in the summer of 2005 to track tune there cars .. (its now just as fast as the carrera GT on "The ring" and has in the Sportsauto supertest sett a LOT! of new track records)

the "next gen" CCR (debute at geneva 2006) will be mer track tuned.. when top gear get to test the CCR (current og new) they vill find that its not only faster in a strait line .. but MUTCH faster on a track..

PS: i also heard that Cristian von Koenigsegg didnt want Top gear to test the CCR untill he was ready.. (rumor) if that is true .. then he wants the track record .. he always gets what he wants.. :p

PS: the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo will go down in history as just another american dream .. like the Vector W8.. "It has 1000HP and does 800MPH."
yeh right ..

The Koenigsegg was given a slower time than it performed when they tested it back in series 2, Pagani apparantly made a deal with Top Gear... anyway...

The Koenigsegg is avalible in a setup called "Ring Domination". How cool is that!?

bartboy9891 said:

I remember watching a program on Discovery channel featuring the Saleen. They said that it did have seven gears, in fact Steve Saleen, the guy who made it, said the car hadn't yet been in seventh gear because they haven't taken it to a long enough test track.

But I don't like it anyway so I guess it don't matter.