Krautsourcing: Help Dr_Grip find his piece of Detroit steel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
79 Opel Kadett|72 Ford Country Sedan|03 Volvo XC70
As some of you might know, I am planning to purchase a late-60s to early-70s, preferrably pre-smogger full-size wagon in the US and bring it back to Germany with me. Thanks to cash for clunkers and the fact that the concept "wagon" never caught on in the same way as it did in Germany, good, reasonably-priced examples seem to be few. Thus, I ask the hive mind for help!

Budget limit (including basic maintenance and any repairs needed) is $5000. I have a slight preference for the 1971/72 "Knudsen nose" Ford LTD/Country Squire and the 1971-76 GM "Clamshell" offerings (Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser/Chevy Caprice/etc), but I'll consider other cars if the condition is right.

I've already enlisted CraigB, Spectre and LCG to help me looking, but more people might find more cars.

There are some "hard" requirements any car has to fulfill:

-The engine, exhaust and drivetrain have to be stock and matching the model and year in question - i.e. a V8 swapped into a former V6 car is OK if the V8 swapped in was available for the model and year from factory, same goes for other replacement engines, gearboxes, etc. If the engine does not match the car, I won't get the car certified as a historic vehicle and will have to pay taxes by the cubic inch. Not a good idea with a 60s/70s V8. Luckily, matching numbers are not required, though.
-The body has to be largely rust-free. Having to do immediate rust repairs will take the final remains of economic sense out of the project.
-Engine has to be a V8 - I won't buy a US car without that sweet V8 rumble.
-Automatic gearbox - my girl is unhappy with the Kadett's manual, so getting an autobox will be a first step to make her like the car. Also: burnouts.
-Power Steering.
-Front-engine, rear wheel drive layout. I don't have an interest in a Corvair, Toronado or similar early experiment in alternative layouts.

-And most important: The car has to be in good enough overall shape and keep to do a hassle-free 3500-mile road trip in it.

Then there's the wishlist - things I look for in a car, but that I'd give up if the rest of the car is what I am looking for:
-Bench seats
-Leather seats
-Original, nicely faded paint
-Wood trim
-Air Conditioning

If you post a link, it would be nice if you'd indicate whether you'd be willing to inspect the car in person, as well.

Your loss on the Toronado. The only thing about it that is off the wall is the modified th400 trans.

I know this one is above your price, but it has been listed for two months, so I bet he is willing to negotiate.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/4413824656.html

This one is to far for me to get to any time soon.

Last edited:
i like your choice of paint! that's my preference as well :D

I was going to offer to help you find something local in my area, but then I saw your no rust criteria... ;)

Thank you both!
I know this one is above your price, but it has been listed for two months, so I bet he is willing to negotiate.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/4413824656.html

This one is to far for me to get to any time soon.
Don't we have some members (CrazyRussian and the guy with the Mk2 MR2?) working for Ford in Dearborn? That's around the corner from there....

This might be a bit smaller than you want, but it's in great shape.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4491087080.html
Tough one. Have spent the better part of the day looking at it and still can't make up my mind if it's the most beautiful car I've ever seen or "kill it with fire" ugly...

Thank you both!
Don't we have some members (CrazyRussian and the guy with the Mk2 MR2?) working for Ford in Dearborn? That's around the corner from there....

Yeah, I can go have a look and take pictures if you want.

-The engine, exhaust and drivetrain have to be stock and matching the model and year in question - i.e. a V8 swapped into a former V6 car is OK if the V8 swapped in was available for the model and year from factory, same goes for other replacement engines, gearboxes, etc. If the engine does not match the car, I won't get the car certified as a historic vehicle and will have to pay taxes by the cubic inch. Not a good idea with a 60s/70s V8. Luckily, matching numbers are not required, though.

Isn't any period-correct Engine okay - even if it wasn't available in that particular car? Also, modifying should be okay als long as it is period correct as well.
I've often seen things like C Kadetts with 2.2 Engines and Webers on H Plates, or six cylinder Asconas etc. So either this is allowed or they were modding the cars after they got the H Plate and are driving around illegaly...

Isn't any period-correct Engine okay - even if it wasn't available in that particular car? Also, modifying should be okay als long as it is period correct as well.
I've often seen things like C Kadetts with 2.2 Engines and Webers on H Plates, or six cylinder Asconas etc. So either this is allowed or they were modding the cars after they got the H Plate and are driving around illegaly...
The T?V has a special set of rules for US cars that says "NO ENGINE SWAPS!" (see page seven). You are right about aftermarket carbs, exhausts and similar, though - if I can prove that it was available back then, it's fine.

Additionally, most of what's allowed and what's not boils down to the guy doing the inspection. And with a car I imported, I don't want to take any chances.

Just for fun, i made a quick search on autoscout24, max price set at 5k euros. Here's what i found
All the cheaper cars most likely are not road-legal without modifications. Additionally, buying a car that's already here would take the adventure out of this.

Yeah, I can go have a look and take pictures if you want.
Thank you, PM sent.

Last edited:
That is a much newer cassette deck. 8 tracks are a gapping hole in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.