L.A. police to get new flashlights - smaller, as not to beat you with

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
LOS ANGELES - Police will soon be outfitted with a cutting edge flashlight that is not only brighter than others, but too small to be used as a weapon.

The idea for the 7060 LED flashlight was conceived just days after news cameras broadcast images of LAPD officers beating car-theft suspect Stanley Miller with a two-pound, two-foot long standard issue police flashlight.

Police Chief William Bratton banned the large flashlights after Miller's 2004 beating and called for manufacturers to create a smaller, brighter flashlight.

The new 10-inch, $100 flashlight was developed and manufactured by the Torrance-based company Pelican to meet LAPD specifications. It will feature both a standard "patrol mode" and an ultra-light "tactical mode" that is bright enough to temporarily blind suspects.

Bratton is scheduled to unveil the new flashlights Friday.

Ramona Ripston, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, praised the LAPD for the equipment change.

"It's a really important step in the right direction, and it's going to make a difference in how the police department deals with the community," she said. "We've always felt that a flashlight was not an instrument to beat people with. This new one will serve the purpose it was intended to."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070330/ap_on_re_us/police_flashlights

lol, :lol:

You could still beat people with it unless it's plastic.
If so, you could use it as a roll of quarters to add heft to your punches.

Rofl. Like Jacobfox said, anything can be used as a weapon. Do they not still carry batons? Or did they get them taken away after the Rodney King ordeal?

Do they not still carry batons? Or did they get them taken away after the Rodney King ordeal?

I am fairly certain they still carry them. The baton can be a useful device.

The Maglight does make a mean weapon, I have been accidentally hit by one on the legs and it hurt like hell. I don't see that as a reason to stop using them though.

"We've always felt that a flashlight was not an instrument to beat people with."
:lol: That's one of the best quotes I've ever seen!

I think those huge Maglites are so stupid. What's the point other than using them as beat down clubs?

:lol: That's one of the best quotes I've ever seen!

I think those huge Maglites are so stupid. What's the point other than using them as beat down clubs?

Actually that was the point for some time. Many police agencies got rid of their batons and clubs so the light was all that had.

Damn, pretty soon they will only have cutting sarcasm with which to fight crime... much like the English.

What next? Smaller shoes? Padded gloves? Robin Reliants?

Security guards in Norway were not allowed to carry batons, don't know if they can now, so they usually did recieve training with flashlights.

As American cops have side handle batons in most cases, I don't see the need for a killer flashlight.

It depends on the department. The side-handle baton is an unwieldy thing to carry and you have to take it off every time you get in your patrol car. Some departments have switched to the more advanced (and more expensive) collapsible baton, others have done away with them entirely.

Collapsible batons are entering use many places, Japan's used it for ages, we are starting to use them here too, and the brits have them, only brings out the heavier batons for special situations.

I have a big maglight, I love that thing. Very durable and reliable, never goes wrong, can use it as a hammer, whatever. maglights FTW.

Maglites are good shit. It is one thing you Americans do get right. :p

Disclaimer: This post was not meant as an insult to America, and therefore should not be subject to indecent flaming from members viewing it as such an insult.

I have a big maglight, I love that thing. Very durable and reliable, never goes wrong, can use it as a hammer, whatever. maglights FTW.

I have definitely done that before.
They are awesome.

Some departments have switched to the more advanced (and more expensive) collapsible baton, others have done away with them entirely.
I remember seeing a video from Britain where this criminal wouldn't get out of his car for the police, and they where pounding away at the windows with those weak batons and couldn't break them.

Then they weren't doing it right, cause those batons work nicely to break windows. Seen demonstration videos from both Norwegian and Swedish police, they didn't seem to have any trouble doing it.

Further, those batons aren't perfect for that task, obviously, since it's lighter than the traditional side handle batons, or just the traditional hard wood or rubber batons, but against most traditional batons, they're LONGER, which is crucial when you want to get a knife out of the suspects hand. That, and the fact that they take up less space, is easier to carry and look less intimidating to the general public, is the reason why at least the Norwegian police is switching to those, rather than keeping the old model of batons, which are rather short, rubber batons, with a leather insert in the tip, to gain speed.

They do keep the old batons, they work better when it comes to rougher situations, and they do have longer batons, around 40-50cm of lenght, for specific use, riots and especially dangerous situations.

I think the UK uses the same practice, making use of side handle batons when they have a special need for them, like in mass fights and such.

Last edited:
I carry a Mag-Lite around in my car and it's come in handy a number of times. I once had to top-up my coolant in the dead of night and I once lost a hash pipe under the seat and in those cases I would have been screwed without Maggy (Yeah, I named her. What's wrong with that!).
Just between you and me I mainly carry it as a weapon in case of one of those road rage incidents you hear so much about. If somebody dented my car I'd give him the Mag-Lite to use against me so the guy at least had a fighting chance.:D

But seriously, forks; It's probably a good thing that the police are discouraged from using them as weapons because it would only take a few hits to the head to cause serious injury. Plus, they already have a kick-ass assortment of weapons like pepper spray, a tonfa, a gun and all manner of training in the art of ass-kickery.

On a side note; the next time someone tells you about 'crappy American workmanship' just give them a good, swift bonk on the head with a Mag-Lite.

Last edited: