Land Rover: 1, Lexus: 0

^ That's one of the great things about Land Rovers. They're designed to be tough and rugged to survive the worst off road conditions and that all translates to impressive on-road safety. That generally isn't the case for the X3's and other 'minivans on steroids' in the world.

^ That's one of the great things about Land Rovers. They're designed to be tough and rugged to survive the worst off road conditions and that all translates to impressive on-road safety. That generally isn't the case for the X3's and other 'minivans on steroids' in the world.

you, me, and Rover should all start a petition demanding Jezza do a survival test on the Disco3/LR3 and see if its better than the Hilux.:mrgreen:

A very tempting offer but I've got two things against it:

I'd hate to see an LR3 get tortured like that. Go for a Freelander and I'd be all for it! :p

Secondly (and this is coming from experience), it'd be pretty embarrassing for Land Rover if their vehicle is battered to hell but loses to the Hilux because the excellent electronics let it down. "It survived drowning, fire, and being rolled down a hill. But in the end a faulty crankshaft position sensor proved to be too much for the LR3." :lol:

Seriously, my Disco got hit hard and got me home just fine but it once left my mom stranded because a sensor wouldn't let her shift if out of park.

Although a head-to-head test (literally) against a Hilux would be pretty darn entertaining!

The idea of "everybody should drive a SUV. because there safer" is the most bogus and gayest idea i have ever heard on this board. Its been proven over and over again that crumple zones are much more important then simple weight, and that in conventional vehicles car on car crashes are safer then SUV on SUV crashes. I don't mind sensible drivers with kids and whatnot using their SUVs as protection, but around here its more that the crazy drivers buy SUVs and then use it as a excuse to drive like complete idiots, clog the roads, and bully other drivers.

The two fatal crashes we had in my senior year of High-school were both in full size trucks. Furthermore you are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident in a SUV then you are in a car, as well as much more likely to actually kill someone else, so why would you buy one for safety?

My hands are tired i suppose, i like people being able to choose what they want, but i HATE the idea of using a heavy weight car as a excuse to be a jackass.

I think what needs to be done more then anything, since we know people like SUVs, is to design both SUVs and cars to be more complaint of each other in crashes.

I'm probably alone in this, but i love small cars and being forced to drive something large for safety reasons is about as dreary a idea as i can think of.

If you think the original poster of this thread has the right idea, then please go fuck yourself and burn in hell. Asshole.

are you equating this disco to every other pos SUV on the roads? if so, you, sir, are a dolt.

Just because this PROPER 4x4 OFFROAD vehicle is the pinacle of automotive safety, doesn't mean that the rest of the offroad wannabe cars come even near it.

You misunderstand me. ALL SUVs are POS if they are used as an excuse to drive carelessly...justified by the belief that if they get in an accident they will be less likely to get hurt.

I'm curious to know the specifics regarding this crash. A head-on collision is pretty serious stuff....how the heck did it happen? But since we will probably never know the truth, we'll just take solice in the fact that no one was seriously injured.

The idea of "everybody should drive a SUV. because there safer" is the most bogus and gayest idea i have ever heard on this board. Its been proven over and over again that crumple zones are much more important then simple weight, and that in conventional vehicles car on car crashes are safer then SUV on SUV crashes. I don't mind sensible drivers with kids and whatnot using their SUVs as protection, but around here its more that the crazy drivers buy SUVs and then use it as a excuse to drive like complete idiots, clog the roads, and bully other drivers.

The two fatal crashes we had in my senior year of High-school were both in full size trucks. Furthermore you are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident in a SUV then you are in a car, as well as much more likely to actually kill someone else, so why would you buy one for safety?

My hands are tired i suppose, i like people being able to choose what they want, but i HATE the idea of using a heavy weight car as a excuse to be a jackass.

I think what needs to be done more then anything, since we know people like SUVs, is to design both SUVs and cars to be more complaint of each other in crashes.

I'm probably alone in this, but i love small cars and being forced to drive something large for safety reasons is about as dreary a idea as i can think of.

Didn't Jezza say that the Disco 3 wasn't a particularly good car to have a crash in. (TG season 2, episode 7... 31 minutes in)

I agree with Ottobon, saying that everyone should drive a SUVs is ridiculous. With such logic, once 2.5 ton SUVs fill up the road, people are going to drive around in heavier (aka "safer") Ford F-650s that would crumble RRs like a tin can, and we would be back at square one.

Driving in heavier cars is not the solution, I understand SUVs and off roaders have their use, and some people need the performance they offer, but driving in heavier and taller cars puts others lives in danger, especially when people drive their tanks while talking on their cellphone, driving over curbs and cutting others off because of their blind spots (or simple carelessness).

Those who drives smaller cars (due to personal/financial/environmental reasons) are at a huge disadvantage, and why should they be? IMO car safety need to improve by technology, not share size and weight. What we need are SUVs (crossovers if you will) such as Lexus RX, Acura RDX, and BMW X3 that are designed to impact properly and fairly with normal cars, but with improved off road performance... if that's even possible.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoMSF4JV2Y[/YOUTUBE]

It didn't do all that well in the front impact...

Amazing, I love Land Rovers so much, when i can i am hopefully going to get a Defender.

when you crash it into something at high speed, yes. would be funny if it were true.

i've heard that surviving an accident depens from numerous factors especially on how do you sit in your car, preety much you have to sit like those crash dummies straight and don't hold on to the door and or the instrument panel so the shock won't be amplified thorugh your arms.

I don't know if the lexus has a stronger passanger shell, i've just wanted to add that it is difficult to try to find out how a car can wistand a crash

all SUVs should be ousted apart from the whole Land Rover range. end of story.