Laptop Help

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
Okay, so I have whittled my choices for a new laptop for university down to two possible candidates: The ASUS F50SV-X4C or the HP HDX 16.0".

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10118222&catid=#MoreInfo
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37861&vpn=90NUDA3C32D61CQL250Y&manufacture=ASUS

The thing that I'm not so sure about is the processors. The Asus laptop sports a Intel Core 2 T4200, and the HP has an Intel Core 2 Duo P7450. While the HP has a greater FSB speed, the Asus one has a higher frequency. Does FSB matter in everyday computing tasks such as gaming, using Photoshop, or 3DS Max? How much of a difference does the FSB speed make? Lastly, which one should I get?

I would say from what I was reading in this Wikipedia article..... yes, but I'm not technical enough that you should accept just what I have just read.

^ Read that but it didn't answer my question directly, and I didn't really want to make assumptions about something that I am unsure of.

While the HP has a greater FSB speed, the Asus one has a higher frequency.

See, after reading the article I see it this way in my mind but once again I wish some one with far superior knowledge would join this thread....

What my brain is quietly thinking... said:
FSB is a dam in a river. Higher frequency is the speed at which the water is traveling. The water can't go any faster than the dam damn (insert moronic laughter here) will allow.

Does FSB matter in everyday computing tasks such as gaming, using Photoshop, or 3DS Max? How much of a difference does the FSB speed make? Lastly, which one should I get?
Those aren't considered "everyday computing tasks", FYI. ;)

I would go with the HP.

- The processor speed difference is negligible, but it has a larger L2 cache and a 25% larger FSB

- The graphics architecture (which is what's actually important for what you consider everyday computing tasks) is pretty much the same, too. HOWEVER, the HP has half as much video memory as the ASUS.

- It has a 70GB larger hard drive standard

Last edited:
as always with PCs, get the most expensive one. it'll be better just because :p

as always with PCs, get the most expensive one. it'll be better just because :p

...with the longest warranty (and/or extension to that warranty).

...with the longest warranty (and/or extension to that warranty).
I couldn't agree with you more. My Dell's motherboard just died, and 3 years and 8 months after buying it, they sent a technician out the next day with a new one for free. The screen is starting to look like it's been squished into my bag too many times, so in the next couple months, that'll get replaced for free too, and we won't even get into the 3 or 4 hard drives, 4 keyboards, two track pads, one DVD drive, one chassis, that they've replaced over the years (mostly because of me abusing the hell out of the computer).