Laptop Monitor Problem

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
As the title says I've got a problem. :( A thin blue vertical line on the right hand side of my monitor. I've tried messing with the monitor's firmware and http://www.jscreenfix.com/ as suggested by Chris in IRC with no luck. Jiggling the monitor around and gently tapping it had no effect. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue but I thought I would post here to see if anyone knows any little tricks that might help me out. It's an Acer Aspire 5004 running XP with a SiS graphics chip if that helps.

If you plug in an external monitor, does the line appear?

Woah I just noticed the line isn't there anymore. :confused: If it pops up again I'll plug in another monitor and see what happens.

I had a monitor problem recently. A tiny bug was wandering around between the backlight and the LCD layers of my monitor. Luckily it didn't die in the middle of the monitor.

Your issue sounds like either a busted chip or, more likely, a dirty connection. If you feel comfortable taking your computer apart (and it's out of warranty), you might try removing the monitor cable (can't do the graphics card since it's integrated) and carefully cleaning the contacts with a mild solvent. Unfortunately, laptop's aren't exactly a walk in the park to take apart.

^Yeah tell me about it, when my brothers Dell laptop had it's video card die they had to replace the whole motherboard. The first guy fucked it up and another guy had to come and fix it. I couldn't believe how that thing came apart, it was the most confusing thing I've ever seen. So unless you know what your doing taking apart laptops then you should leave that to a pro.

Yeah, and my Dell is nothing compared to the macs I've had to take apart. 27 screws, several of which require a tiny allen wrench just to get to the HD? I guess they really want you to have to pay to upgrade it. Hopefully the newer generations are better, this was on an iBook I think.

If your computer is still under warranty, please please please call the company rather than mucking about inside your poor laptop. User error is rarely covered under the replacement policy.