Last movie you saw?

TC

aka TomCat
[h=3]Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)[/h] Finally watched this one the other night. I would put it about on par with The Force Awakens, which makes it a million times better than The Last Jedi, but still inferior to Rouge One.

It was definitely a watchable movie, but being a Star Wars fan since childhood, the character on the screen didn't seem like Han Solo to me. In fact, I think the actor was doing his best to copy Chris Pine's Captain Kirk from JJ's Star Trek movies. Maybe he watched the wrong movies when researching the character, I don't know. It also didn't help that he seemed a foot shorter than Harrison Ford.

I found it cringy that Han Solo kept calling himself a bad guy in the film, since he never did anything bad. In fact, he seemed to act in selfless ways continuously. The character didn't come off anywhere near as jaded as the Han Solo from the original trilogy. But it did seem like the film was setting up a sequel, or seven, so maybe they were planning some terrible stuff for this character to go through, which will impact his personality. Who knows. I can't say that I've been overly impressed with the haphazard, dazed and confused way that Disney has been handling these Star Wars movies. There doesn't seem to be any bigger picture vision that binds anything together. It seems to be amateur hour over there, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

5/10

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
Sicario: Day of the Soldado

I really liked the Dennis Villeneuve directed first installment of Sicario, and I was afraid this second chapter would be a complete let down.

And I was right :(

Clichés, stupid plot holes, typical gutless bad guy politicians, ending tailor made to make room for a third episode. At least the action was good :|

gt1750

Techno Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
2011 Alfa Romeo 159, 2005 Smart ForFour
Bohemian Rhapsody.

It was epic, I haven't enjoyed a movie this much for a long time and I regret not seeing it on the big screen.

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Captain Marvel

I enjoyed the (Nick) Fury origin story. Gotta love Sam Jackson. The rest was pretty decent with a touch of bland. The big storytwist wasn't a twist at all if you've payed a bit of attention during the guardians of the galaxy. Yeah, those guys aren't the good guys. We know. Maybe just don't tell us their name in the first minute? According to wikipedia, they also had a different Name they could have used - why not use that to not make this so obvious?

Loved all the 1990ies references ...

7/10

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S
Couple of long-haul fights in the last few weeks gave me a chance to watch some movies.

55 Steps - Helena Bonham Carter and Hilary Swank. Based on a true story.

Peppermint - Jennifer Garner is a badass. Movie isn't that great though.

A Star is Born - Not bad, until Ally (Gaga) turns into the manufactured pop tart. Much like her actual music. The jazz stuff she does is great. The ridiculous pop/electronic music is shit. At that point I just got annoyed. And fuck the guy playing her manger too.

Oh and Deadpool 2. Not as good as the first one.

Last edited:

TC

aka TomCat
I, Tonya (2017)

A very entertaining movie and even though I'm sure there was a lot of creative liberties, it does give a completely different perspective on Tonya Harding. HIghly recommend. 8/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

The more Wes Anderson movies I see, the more I like him as a director. This was also a much more entertaining film than I was expecting. It was a real adventure, with plenty of interesting eccentric characters. It's a lot of fun. 9/10

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S
Oh yeah, I also sat through I, Tonya. Not sure how accurate it was with the events surrounding the Nancy Kerrigan incident though...

awdrifter

Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi

That movie is a mess. There's so many random threads thrown together but the overall plot is basically a slow space car chase. 5/10.