Last movie you saw?

I saw Source Code at the cheap theatre. You know, the commercials for it did a really good job at making it look retarded, but it turns out it was actually really good.

And Russell Peters played a comedian.

The Star Wars trilogy.

Next up is the preamble to star wars called "suck wars but awesome graphix".

Watched Fast & Furious for the first time. It was not as horrifyingly bad as I thought it would be.

But it still sucked. :p

X-Men First Wotchamacallit

Highly entertaining. The German and French subtitles (pretty standard in Switzerland) were kind of distracting, especially when the dialogue switched to French, German, or Russian, and I had to search them for the translation. But still, highly entertaining.

Super 8

Super_8_Poster.jpg

Just came back from watching this and I have to say it was a good film. There are several nods to E.T., so if you watched that film as a kid, then you'll likely love this one.

The only negative I have against the film is the train derailment. In summary, it was pretty bogus. My brother pointed out that even one of the characters made a light stab at this detail...

"How can a pickup truck derail a train?!?" (or something along those lines).

...especially in such a spectacular manner.

- Dan

The only negative I have against the film is the train derailment. In summary, it was pretty bogus. My brother pointed out that even one of the characters made a light stab at this detail...

"How can a pickup truck derail a train?!?" (or something along those lines).

...especially in such a spectacular manner.

- Dan

I haven't seen the film yet, but it is possible. I recall a story once about a guy that wanted to commit suicide, so he parked his truck on the railroad tracks and waited for the train. But at the last second he chickened out and jumped out of his truck. The train derailed after hitting his vehicle and 11 passengers ended up dying. Happened in LA back in 2005.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it is possible. I recall a story once about a guy that wanted to commit suicide, so he parked his truck on the railroad tracks and waited for the train. But at the last second he chickened out and jumped out of his truck. The train derailed after hitting his vehicle and 11 passengers ended up dying. Happened in LA back in 2005.

Ah, the Glendale train crash.

DC200501261006439933.jpg

Part of the reason the train derailed may lie in the configuration of the consist. Metrolink train #100 was operating in a push-pull configuration. This is common amongst commuter trains and are set up with the locomotive on one end and a "cab" car (control car) on the other. It makes it easier (and faster) to turn the train around when it reaches the end of the line. At the time of the collision, #100 was running with the cab car up front and the locomotive at the back pushing.

604.jpg

The one weakness with this configuration is that the cab cars are not as well protected from debris as the locomotive. Put it simply, they are much easier to derail. Had #100 been running with the locomotive up front, the train probably would not have derailed. The accident was also made worse by the Union Pacific freighter that was parked on the adjacent track.

887.jpg

You have to watch the film to see just how ridiculous the derailment of the Air Force train really is.

- Dan

Just watched Red Hood Riding. it was crap, don't bother with it unless you really like Twilight (in which case you're either a 12 year old girl, or a sad sad human being), it's about the same thing :p

Senna: Fantastic. It wasn't shown on the usual cinema, so we had to go to a private, smaller cinema which turned out to be great. Really oldschool interior. I recommend every motorsport and car fan to see this movie!
Pirates of the Caribbean: It was ok. Hadn't seen any of the other movies in the series. To me it was a liiiiittle bit like Sherlock Holmes but with pirates instead?
X-Men First Class: This surprised me. Not a big sci-fi can and thought this was going to be completely full of it, but I quite liked it.

the-great-escape-movie-poster-1963-1020415948.jpg

It's a classic. It's based on a true story. It has Steve McQueen in it. See it, or you fail movie watching!

The Pink Panther
... no you silly people, the 1963 Peter Sellers, David Niven, Claudia Cardinale awesome one! I love it, that's all :)

Love all the old Pink Panther movies.

Free DirecTV premium weekend allowed me to catch up a little:

Toy Story 3, pretty decent
Shrek Forever, not quite as good as I expected
The Other Guys, was hoping for me here as well
Scorcers Apprentice, not too bad
Salt, pretty good

The Pink Panther
... no you silly people, the 1963 Peter Sellers, David Niven, Claudia Cardinale awesome one! I love it, that's all :)

I recorded it the other day. I got the most unpleasant surprise of my life when I went to watch it and found out it was the Steve Martin film. More unpleasant than getting my plums bitten by a horse. More unpleasant than getting my boots full of cow shit half way through a hike. Peter Sellers was apparently not a very nice man, but he was a brilliant comic actor.

I recorded it the other day. I got the most unpleasant surprise of my life when I went to watch it and found out it was the Steve Martin film. More unpleasant than getting my plums bitten by a horse. More unpleasant than getting my boots full of cow shit half way through a hike. Peter Sellers was apparently not a very nice man, but he was a brilliant comic actor.

i acutally had a similar sensation with taxi taxi once... although, i would have been quite a lot more outraged by having that moment with pink panther - its sacrilege!

The Pink Panther

I saw it last weekend.
Peter Sellers is one of the best comedian actors of all time :)

I must say that I have watched that flick many times but for the first time I picked up this bit - I mean that it is so cool ;)

Sorry about that, the youtube link didn't come out

Last edited:
I must say that I have watched that flick many times but for the first time I picked up this bit - I mean that it is so cool ;)

personally, i always find it a bit weird because its just SO 1963...
on the other hand, you're right it's pretty cool :cool: i actually have the boxed set of all pink panther movies, i might even just keep watching them all (although some are quite a disappointment i have to admit).

also: can anyone explain why "the return of the pink panther" is missing from my box? it has sellers, blake edwards, what more could they want? plus, its one of the funniest of them all imho.

also: can anyone explain why "the return of the pink panther" is missing from my box? it has sellers, blake edwards, what more could they want? plus, its one of the funniest of them all imho.

From wikipedia:
Due to rights issues and management changes involving ITC Entertainment, MGM/UA did not originally hold select ancillary rights beyond their original theatrical distribution license. As a result, other video companies (under license from ITC) such as CBS/Fox Video and Live Entertainment (as well as Live's successor Artisan Entertainment) handled home video versions. These issues caused The Return of the Pink Panther to enter litigation for a brief time, which is why MGM Home Entertainment did not include The Return of the Pink Panther in a 2004 DVD box set of Pink Panther films or the 2008 "Ultimate" collection, and will not do so for future collections.

Just watched Largo Winch, great movie.