Last movie you saw?

Moon - 8.5-9/10
The Martian - Just incredible, glad I didn't see one trailer for this one!

Creed - 9/10 Amazing. Just amazing. As a massive Rocky fan I've been both waiting for and dredding this movie. Was this going to be yet another Rocky IV ?

No. This is a fantastic combination of paying tribute and carving its own path from the shadows of the franchise. The dozens of little nods to earlier parta are great for fanatics like me but you don't have to have seen any of the previous installment to enjoy Creed.

Michael B. Jordan is fantastic in his portrayal of Adonis Creed and you should watch out for him in the future. However the Sylvester Stallone is the star of the movie. I have been raving on for years that Stallone is a gifted actor and screenwriter and finally the world is taking note. What may be the best acting performance of his career is worthy of an Academy Award and while I'm yet to see the other nominees, I can not see anyone else taking it.

Fully recommended for any movie goer, Rocky fan or not.

Creed - 9/10 Amazing. Just amazing. As a massive Rocky fan I've been both waiting for and dredding this movie. Was this going to be yet another Rocky IV ?

No. This is a fantastic combination of paying tribute and carving its own path from the shadows of the franchise. The dozens of little nods to earlier parta are great for fanatics like me but you don't have to have seen any of the previous installment to enjoy Creed.

Michael B. Jordan is fantastic in his portrayal of Adonis Creed and you should watch out for him in the future. However the Sylvester Stallone is the star of the movie. I have been raving on for years that Stallone is a gifted actor and screenwriter and finally the world is taking note. What may be the best acting performance of his career is worthy of an Academy Award and while I'm yet to see the other nominees, I can not see anyone else taking it.

Fully recommended for any movie goer, Rocky fan or not.

I'll have to see it.
Haven't seen the other movies so can't judge on the other nominees

Last edited:
Watched Hot Fuzz again last night.
Still great, best of the Cornetto trilogy for me. Will happily award 9/10 every time I watch it :)

Hateful Eight, in Ultra Panavision 70

I am a big Tarantino fan. The first English speaking movie I remember seing un-dubbed is Reservoir Dogs, and 2 of his films (RD and PF) are in my all time top 10.

I was however quite disappointed with Inglourious Basterds, feeling it was a grossly over-hyped movie, and even though I had liked Kill Bill volume 1, I felt like volume 2 was a let-down, and that both should have been released as a single movie, cutting out some stuff from the second one mainly. I have also never seen Jackie Brown and Django Unchained.

So I went to see this latest one with unsure feelings. A coworker told me it HAD to be seen in 70mm, and that it was a great movie, more akin to Reservoir Dogs than any other Tarantino work.

Despite not finding any friends willing to go see a 3h+ movie (plus intermission) at 21:30 on a weekday, I bought myself a ticket for what turned out to be the last representation in 70mm, in English, in Montreal.

I cannot compare to the shorter digital release, but I must admit it was glorious.

Beautifully shot, typical long dialogs, Samuel L. Jackson giving an incredible performance, Kurt Russell (John "The Hangman"Ruth) and Tim Roth were excellent too. I was just left a bit cold by Michael Madsen (Cowboy Joe Gage), and really annoyed by Jennifer Jason Leigh (Daisy Domergue) and Walton Goggins (Sheriff Chris Mannix).

I really need to rewatch Inglourious Basterds, maybe I'll appreciate it more on a second viewing.

My feeling is that half his movies are great and the other half are overhyped.

Also watched Jurassic World last night. Delivered just about what I expected (I was too tired for anything cerebral). 7/10 within the context of its target audience.

Tarantino is an excellent director, and you're pretty much guaranteed to be entertained by any his movie. And so it was with hateful eight. Still, to my taste it's probably his weakest.

I thought the story was somewhat poor. The premise was great, a lot of very interesting characters. And it was clearly setting up for a whodunit thriller, but at 2/3 of the movie everything is revealed to be plain and simple. That was kind of a let down.
I also waited for Madsen's character to say or do something interesting, but he didn't :/

I watched a terrible movie. It was one of those I seen the original and thought I should at some point see the sequel. Well, it was a mistake. It was not funny, pretty childish, and I want my 90 minutes back.

Avoid Hot Tub Time Machine 2 unless you are under threat of torture or death!

Moon - 8.5-9/10
The Martian - Just incredible, glad I didn't see one trailer for this one!

Such a great film! Definitely one of my favourites, was a lot more comical than I thought but it worked so well. A film I could watch over and over again, and the soundtrack for this movie was just perfect!

The Revenant

Really liked it, it was slow-paced, yet intense and gory like maxtortheone and DrG said.

I believe I understood about 35% of what Fitzgerald said...

Was funny to have a mix of French and Quebecer actors playing the frenchies, with 2 completely different accents.

Deadpool, did not disappoint fun throughout and great action. Glad they've already greenlit a sequel, cant wait to see more of Deadpool franchise/universe 8/10

The Hateful Eight (2015)

I read a lot of mixed reviews about this one, so I didn't go into it expecting much. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it didn't feel very important, if that makes sense. Some films I watch and I cannot wait to see them again, but this one didn't do that. It was just okay. The only complaint I have, besides Kurt Russel accidently destroying an antique guitar on loan from a museum, was the violence towards the end. It was so excessive that it became comical. The sort of campy violence you see in a low budget horror movie.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10

Von Ryan's Express (1965)

"An American POW leads a group of mainly British prisoners to escape from the Germans in WWII."

Caught this one on Netflix. Not sure why I watched it, but it had a high rating and sounded interesting. It stars Frank Sinatra, so this makes the 2nd film I've ever seen him in. I also enjoyed this one. It got a little campy a few times and didn't strike me as very realistic, but it was still a good watch.

7/10

Deadpool

Oh man it was good. The cinema was in hysterics.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

I read a lot of mixed reviews about this one, so I didn't go into it expecting much. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it didn't feel very important, if that makes sense. Some films I watch and I cannot wait to see them again, but this one didn't do that. It was just okay. The only complaint I have, besides Kurt Russel accidently destroying an antique guitar on loan from a museum, was the violence towards the end. It was so excessive that it became comical. The sort of campy violence you see in a low budget horror movie.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10

I have to agree. The movie got so much hype but I didn't feel the story drew me in. The violence didn't surprise me. It's Quentin Tarantino after all.

Deadpool I feel it didn't live up to the trailers but I still very much enjoyed it. I'm very excited for the sequel.

Just saw Deadpool today. Great cinematography and loved the jokes and fourth wall references. So funny, the whole theatre was cracking up most of the time. 9/10.

I'm paraphrasing here, but the quote "This house is pretty big for just two people. It almost seems as if the studio couldn't afford anymore X-Men" that was just epic. :lol: I also liked the Ferris Beuller after credit scenes.

Deadpool. I know of the character, but I've never consumed any media with him. Might have to correct that. It was fucking hilarious.

9/10 (minus one for feeling more like a proof of concept and overt setup for a sequel rather than standing alone)