Last TV show you saw?

Rewatching HBO-Chernobyl. This time with my little sister who’s 16. She’s incredibly fascinated with it. She’s never heard of this disaster until now...

As someone who got told not to play outside as a five-year-old: What.

It’s not something that’s in school curriculums here. Even I had no idea this happened until I found some stuff on YouTube one night.

It’s not something that’s in school curriculums here. Even I had no idea this happened until I found some stuff on YouTube one night.

We don't even cover our own nuclear accidents very well. Most people in the US think that Three Mile Island was the first nuclear accident within the US. There was a partial meltdown at the Fermi 1 plant near Warren Michigan more than a decade earlier.

Rewatching HBO-Chernobyl. This time with my little sister who’s 16. She’s incredibly fascinated with it. She’s never heard of this disaster until now...

I've only seen clips, it looks like a good laugh as from what I've seen it's on par with a Godzilla movie in terms of the science. "Oh my God, his boot is cut, the evil magic will seep in!", or "if you remove uranium from water, and put it back in water it will go off like a thermonuclear bomb!!!1".

I've only seen clips, it looks like a good laugh as from what I've seen it's on par with a Godzilla movie in terms of the science. "Oh my God, his boot is cut, the evil magic will seep in!", or "if you remove uranium from water, and put it back in water it will go off like a thermonuclear bomb!!!1".

Not quite, there’s a scene where a firefighter picks up a piece of graphite and minutes later he’s screaming in pain... I don’t know how firefighting gloves would’ve affected radiation burns, but it seemed believable... about the only things I had trouble with are the scenes with the old man in the meeting with the big speech. The last bit about “we seal off the city, and cut off the phone lines to reduce the spread of misinformation” was believable, the rest, ehhh. There’s another part where the firefighters wife got through into the hospital while everyone else was blocked out....

We don't even cover our own nuclear accidents very well. Most people in the US think that Three Mile Island was the first nuclear accident within the US. There was a partial meltdown at the Fermi 1 plant near Warren Michigan more than a decade earlier.

I file this under The US Never Screws Up. I remember hearing fuel used to have lead in it, I didn’t know it wasn’t always like that. We had a time where there wasn’t any and then it was added, once people manufacturing it started going mental (The Butterfly House) and dying, then it took a while before the initial warnings of “hey, don’t put this in, people will die” starting to click in these people.

Not quite, there’s a scene where a firefighter picks up a piece of graphite and minutes later he’s screaming in pain... I don’t know how firefighting gloves would’ve affected radiation burns, but it seemed believable... about the only things I had trouble with are the scenes with the old man in the meeting with the big speech. The last bit about “we seal off the city, and cut off the phone lines to reduce the spread of misinformation” was believable, the rest, ehhh. There’s another part where the firefighters wife got through into the hospital while everyone else was blocked out....

The glove would have been more than enough to block the radiation, hell his skin would have been enough (one of the main purposes of having skin is to block radiation). Alpha and Beta radiation can't pass through skin, and you need a huge amount of Gamma for it to cause problems. And no, the graphic wouldn't have caught the evil magic and started killing people. The radiation needed to change the graphite's isotope did not exist, unless the mini-series changed the location to an exploding supernova.

The reason why people died (those not killed in the initial explosion), was due to breathing in/digesting too much iodine 131 and strontium 90. If the human body absorbs too much of these it causes internal burning that cell regeneration can't keep up with. Fortunately, iodine 131 only lasts 2 years and the strontium 90 didn't go all that far (and the bit that did was too dispersed to matter).

Fun note, iodine 131 produced from nuclear reactors is used for targeted cancer treatment. This is due to the above property.

Last edited:
So, The Expanse Season 4. I watched it over Christmas and sadly, I'm a bit disappointed.

Basically, none of the storylines was given enough depth.
The show felt disconnected, because the different plot lines had little to do with each other. Given the benefit of the doubt, I could say it felt like a setup for the next season, when hopefully the UN and Mars get a bit more interesting.
Without that benefit, the Mars scenes felt as if they were included just to include Bobbie. I like her character, but the storyline was sloppy at best. I can live with Bobbie being frustrated and having a lack of orientation given how Mars society treats her, but her quick descent into crime still doesn't fit her. And her making the classic rookie mistakes regarding "spending the money" (in a society where every financial transaction is electronically trackable and that is portrayed as a police state), even if only her lover notices, while at the same time being very careful about the "jobs" as such, isn't consistent. On a larger scale, this aspect of Mars society basically falling apart because they lost both their defining purposes (making Mars habitable and being superior to Earthlings) following the war with the UN and the discovery of many habitable planets within reach would have deserved a deeper look.
Same with Avasarala (I'm really proud to get that name right!). The whole UN plot came across as the result of "we need to have a UN political drama plot". Yes they do, but not this half-assed.
And sadly, the main plot on and around Ilus didn't really satisfy me either. The, for lack of a better word, "mystical" elements surrounding the protomolecule were always the weakest part of the whole show (yes, you can stone me for that if you want), and that didn't change in this season. The whole storyline was very one-dimensional. Take two groups that hate each other, and on top, throw in a new random crisis every time they solved the last one. And after a whole season, not much has been accomplished except a bunch of people being killed. At least, the Miller plot is now finished apparently.
I nearly forgot the Belters. Yes, Drummer, Ashford and even a token appearance by Johnson were also included just to tick that off the list.

But after all, I still enjoyed watching it, because I like the characters. Verdict: 6/10.

Rewatching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares while simultaneously keeping up with the latest season of Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back. Theres something satisfying about watching him yell at awful restaurateurs, even if the structure of each episode is way too formulated and predictable.

3 shows to keep me busy these days:

Hunters, (Amazon Prime Video). Very Tarantinoesque, Al Pacino as one of the main characters, I'm 2 or 3 episodes in, and it got me interested enough to keep going.

Altered Carbon, season 2 (Netflix). I really loved season 1, then read book 1 (the Netflix adaptation was pretty close to the book). I am now 2 episodes into season 2, and a few chapters into book 2, and I am not as enthusiast about the serie anymore. It does not seem to match the book (maybe I just need to go further into it), and for some reason I am not a fan of the interpretation of Takeshi Kovacs, some of his core characteristics seem to be lost in the TV show.

Happy!, season 2 (Netflix). Probably the most fucked up TV show I ever saw, season 1 was amazing. 2 episodes into season 2, it seem to still be pretty good.

I have to admit something. Up until recently I had not seen a single episode of The Office (US), I have heard a lot of people rave about it, so I spent the last couple of months looking through all nine seasons of it. It is genius. Since I do have an office job, so much of that is easy to relate to. Now I consider watching Parks and Recreation, that could be even easier to relate to for me as the setting is in a government office.

I tried to watch Happy! but I found the whole thing too annoying.

Altered Carbon season 2 was binged on Saturday. Not as deep or dark as the first season but nowhere near as bad as the reviews I'd read made out.

Altered Carbon season 2 was binged on Saturday. Not as deep or dark as the first season but nowhere near as bad as the reviews I'd read made out.

I finished it last night, binged the last 3 episodes.

It took me 5 episodes to really get into that series, so to me it started weak, but ended strong.

I finished it last night, binged the last 3 episodes.

It took me 5 episodes to really get into that series, so to me it started weak, but ended strong.
I keep forgetting about it, I'm 3 eps in. I guess I just don't have the time, or if I do, I forget :D

Lately I've been watching only Brooklyn99, Westworld and now Killing Eve is back too.
To think we used to keep up with maybe 10 shows on a regular basis, sheesh, now I can barely make the time and effort to watch 3 or 4 :D

The Boys on Amazon Prime.

Holy crap that's dark. Humorous but dark.

Only one episode in, but I'm hooked.