Lens Flair

2837590668_a7df1693d5_b.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the 18-55 to be honest. Its cheap and feels it. Can't wait until I can afford something new. Also I feel I need a new camera. The D50 seems a little too old and restricted.

My photo. From the opening of a local skatepark today. I went as a photographer not as a skater :p Not the best photo in the world, but my camera's age is showing.

2987844160_1b6807f4bf_o.jpg

\/ EDIT: That is the lens I'm looking into getting, Ice. But I don't have ?250 just yet.

Last edited:
Suggestion about this one: Use the brush mode in LR 2 to completely desaturate everything but the tail lights.

^ yeah nothing wrong with a D50 at all

should be just as versatile as any of the current crop of budget SLR's like my 400D, i've had that nearly 2 years now and im not really getting close to out growing it. it took me ages to finally become better than my SD400 was capable of and even then, i still use it for a lot of things because of its handy size.

For me, good photography and good photographs are at the hands of the man holding the camera, not the camera itself.

my friends never see it that way, they seem to think DSLR = immediately better photographs... and i always have to show them some of my favourite photos, alot of which were taken on a standard mans digital compact camera.

i wont lie, i do want a new camera too, i want a 40D .... for its better handling and better high ISO noise peformance. 400D is just too small for my hands and id rather put ?100 towards a 40D than a battery grip for my 400D

I personally don't have a problem with the 18-55mm kit lens with the D40. I don't have much experience with other lenses but it doesn't feel cheap to me. Okay it's plastic but what difference does that make. Still works well. That Sigma looks nice but I don't know if I could bear to spend ?250 on a lens that I pretty much have already. :(

Suggestion about this one: Use the brush mode in LR 2 to completely desaturate everything but the tail lights.

I disagree, i like the fact that there's just a little color left in this one, it gives the shot a much more sinister atmosphere than completely desaturated grey tones. I must say i like everything about this shot, the angle, the location, the subject, the atmosphere, composition.

especially the subject :drool:

Will we see the whole shoot Alok? I mean, in a different thread!

It was a 10 min shoot, plus all the photos are heavily PPed, as the client requested. I can still post them if you want, I just need to wipe the plates

The one thing I don't like about the D50 is that you can't illuminate the top screen. D80 ftw! :D

I don't have much experience with other lenses but it doesn't feel cheap to me.
Go to a camera shop and hold a pro lens like a 17-55 f/2.8. Even some of Nikon's better consumer lenses like the 70-300 AF-S or the 18-200 AF-S feel quite a bit better. Nikon's old manual clunkers are better still!

There's no doubt the 18-55 kit lens is very cheaply built in terms of build quality, but, optically, it's still quite good.

Anyway, here's my photo for today:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/31/2008-10-29_Something.jpg

Went out with my new camera and tried all kinds of settings, but those results aren't really worth posting. what i did get was this pic of a cow whilst fiddling with manual focussing.

DSC_0122.jpg

Comments and critics are welcome ofcourse :)