Lens Flair

CraigB, those textures with that lighting is perfect.

The only hill in Assiniboine Forest. Unsurprisingly it's man made
Guess wut?! I found a real hill! It's just past Morden!! :p

Last edited:
DSC_0795EDIT.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2009/09/23/4.jpg

Talk me through that photo, I never understood how and where you took it. It looks fantastic!

Actually, in terms of setup and technique, it's quite an easy photo to make.

EXIF: D40, 55-200 VR @ 190mm, Aperture priority exposure mode, f/11, 1/4000th, ISO 200, sunny WB.

The subject is a fountain (at a pond) made of a two large blocks of stone, each about 3 feet square or so, one stacked on top of the other. The spout is at the top, so the water flows down the rocks and flings off the top block as it is offset, creating an upside-down ledge (this is the dark area you're seeing). It's the same rock fountain that you see here (you can see the ledge on the right; also, the fountain is intentionally dark in this photo, so just copy and paste in an editor to brighten it if you need to)

I'm shooting almost against the sun, so there's a ton of light for a high shutter speed to freeze the droplets in mid-air. It also gives them a golden reflection. Just fire off a few shots until you get a droplet pattern that you like :)

Last edited:

Actually, in terms of setup and technique, it's quite an easy photo to make.

EXIF: D40, 55-200 VR @ 190mm, Aperture priority exposure mode, f/11, 1/4000th, ISO 200, sunny WB.

The subject is a fountain (at a pond) made of a two large blocks of stone, each about 3 feet square or so, one stacked on top of the other. The spout is at the top, so the water flows down the rocks and flings off the top block as it is offset, creating an upside-down ledge (this is the dark area you're seeing). It's the same rock fountain that you see here (you can see the ledge on the right; also, the fountain is intentionally dark in this photo, so just copy and paste in an editor to brighten it if you need to)

I'm shooting almost against the sun, so there's a ton of light for a high shutter speed to freeze the droplets in mid-air. It also gives them a golden reflection. Just fire off a few shots until you get a droplet pattern that you like :)
Thanks! That's not so complicated. My 55-200 is rotting in my camera bag, haven't used for quite a long time, no ideas what to shoot with it around here.

It's been a while since I've done some proper shooting, but here on holiday I've got loads of cool subjects to shoot. I really like how this one turned out.

DSC_5172.jpg

C&C would be much appreciated.

It's been a while since I've done some proper shooting, but here on holiday I've got loads of cool subjects to shoot. I really like how this one turned out.

DSC_5172.jpg

C&C would be much appreciated.

Saarburg? They've got a some great ice in that restaurant called 'cascata' or something like that at that square.

about the photo; i like the contrasts, it's a bit too bright in places.

Last edited:
Adu, that looks great!