Lens Flair

7389561376_448efc5239_b.jpg

On Flickr

Cochem_classic_car.jpg

How the heck does do that? Monopod? Vertical-only VR/IS?

I realize it's a straight-line shot, so getting it sharp in a slow-shutter pan is different than it is for a drifting shot, but still...

Just vertical only IS. I hate monopods, the only time I use one is to support the weight of bigger lenses.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter if it is a straight line shot or in drift, as long as the car is not rotating with respect to you, you are good. The secret is to find such a spot on the track. Here's how I learnt it, back in 2007 :)

Well, yes, I like to display lots of motion. If just looks like it's standing still, what's the point?

I realize it's a straight-line shot, so getting it sharp in a slow-shutter pan is different than it is for a drifting shot, but still...

He probably used panning/motion IS + monopod on his telephoto and if you actually look really carefully, the car is not perfectly sharp and theres a little motion blur, so don't beat yourself up. It looks quite good sized down, but its still not perfect. So you're perfectly capable of taking such shots.

It doesn't seem centered properly. It's too heavy on the right.

Not meant to be centered, but thanks for the compliments.

So it's meant to not conform to any rule of composition on purpose? Congratulations.

^ Yeah you can be quite up front about composition sometimes, Ice. I don't want to say rules exist to be broken, because that's cheesy and mostly wrong. I don't think of them as rules though - only guidelines; such that yes this is how you can set up a photo, but that doesn't mean its the only way to set up a good photo.

And now I'm back on FG after exams and the first time I've taken a half decent shot.

^ Yeah you can be quite up front about composition sometimes, Ice. I don't want to say rules exist to be broken, because that's cheesy and mostly wrong. I don't think of them as rules though - only guidelines; such that yes this is how you can set up a photo, but that doesn't mean its the only way to set up a good photo.

He's just being a dick to be a dick, not to have an actual discussion, that's why i stopped responding to him. I agree w you thought, they they act as guidelines and 'rule of thirds' while being a good starting point towards composition isn't an ironclad rule