Lexus LF-A dropped?

Dino

aka Dins
Car(s)
Porsche Boxster S / Audi A4 Avant
From Autoblog:

The writing has been on the wall for some time. Although the Lexus flagship graduated from "concept" to "prototype" when it campaigned in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, Toyota has refused to even hint at a production date for the V10 supercar. Then Toyota declined to plonk an LF-A silhouette on their Super GT racer, electing to continue with the doomed SC 430 jello mold.

Then news broke that production cars would cost a whopping $225,000, but the LF-A still wouldn't turn a profit. Needless to say, Toyota doesn't like things that are not profitable.

Finally, members of the testing and development crew who have been putting the car though its paces in Germany, as well as test drivers from rival Honda and Nissan crews, have told Autoblog that the LF-A is not destined for the showroom, and will remain only a development platform.

No reasons were given, but we can think of a couple. How many people are willing to part with nigh on a quarter of a million bucks for a Toyota/Lexus? Also, the world's most prolific car maker may not be willing to join the current Nurburgring pissing contest unless it is 100% sure that they can beat the Viper, ZR-1 and perhaps more importantly, the GT-R and upcoming NSX replacement.

Actually, one 'Ring test driver didn't mind going on the record with his opinion. Former Nissan racer, NSX development driver and Nurburgring legend Motoharu "Gan-san" Kurosawa reckons, "Toyota are good at making money, but they're no good at making sports cars."

Who knows, maybe they'll base a racecar on it. Right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually, one 'Ring test driver didn't mind going on the record with his opinion. Former Nissan racer, NSX development driver and Nurburgring legend Motoharu "Gan-san" Kurosawa reckons, "Toyota are good at making money, but they're no good at making sports cars."

HA, I love Gan-San. But he is easily the most critical person I've seen review a car. As for the LF-A, I'm not surprised. Based on the large amount of "insider info" about the NSX replacement and the LF-A, it sounded as if both Honda and Toyota were just obsessed with getting the fastest time around the 'ring. Maybe now Honda will focus on making a good sports car instead of a car built only to perform on one track.

shame, it looked so good, and im sure thered be buyers out there

Toyota is possibly the most boring car company currently in existence. I cannot think of a single model they produce that generates more desire and lust then a box of cheerios.

Toyota is possibly the most boring car company currently in existence. I cannot think of a single model they produce that generates more desire and lust then a box of cheerios.

I was going to say the same thing. They haven't had an even remotely sporty car stateside in 5 years or more. And evidently, they never plan to build one ever again. Assholes :lol:.

Dammit Toyota - here was your chance to prove you can build a proper sports car again, but no, it was all too hard.

It didn't appeal to grannies and hippies, hence they didn't build it.

Is there not a thread from a while ago where it is reported that everything Toyota is going to do is to be done by Focus Group and 'teams' of engineers and designers? Not a recipe for success for a sports car like this, me thinks.

Honda NSX will be pretty bloody good - a proper Japanese car company.

Dammit Toyota - here was your chance to prove you can build a proper sports car again, but no, it was all too hard.
Toyota has the money to afford some of the best engineers in the business so I don't think any car would be too hard for them...corporate greed on the other hand...that's another story. The moment something is not profitable, Toyota would not proceed with it, primarily why the FJ is heading to its grave now...unless of course if its a Camry-based product they're more willing to give it a lifeline ie. Solara.

Surprisingly, I see quite a few of FJ Cruisers around the streets in both Vancouver and Toronto. It's hard to say if the LF-A could have as much impact as the extremely impressive GTR.

Thats sad, i thought the concept LF-A was one of the best looking things to come out Toyota since they bought out that Nissan designed by the German count.

I do hope that they use the body on the new whatever just pop in a V6 and make it something to tool around in during the summer. people will buy it

I do hope that they use the body on the new whatever just pop in a V6 and make it something to tool around in during the summer. people will buy it

That's what Toyota thought about this - they were wrong.

800px-Toyota-Celica-GT.jpg

Sales of the Celica mirrored those of the X-Type. Great first and second year, and about nothing after that.

You mean it was the companies best selling model sense its introduction. There was celicas (celici is the plural of celica actually celica sounds like one of those words) before that incarnation. I was thinking of a new Lexus SC its got the long front end which that cars deserves.

You mean it was the companies best selling model sense its introduction. There was celicas (celici is the plural of celica actually celica sounds like one of those words) before that incarnation. I was thinking of a new Lexus SC its got the long front end which that cars deserves.

Are you drunk? I ask because you just said something good about the new Lexus SC.

I'm talking about that specific generation of Celica. It tanked.

In fact, the prior two generations of Celica weren't actually very good, either.

Also, the best selling Toyota model since introduction isn't the Celica. It's the Corolla.

Are you drunk? I ask because you just said something good about the new Lexus SC.

He's an X-Type owner. Full of contradictions and things that don't make sense. :D

That's what Toyota thought about this - they were wrong.

800px-Toyota-Celica-GT.jpg

Sales of the Celica mirrored those of the X-Type. Great first and second year, and about nothing after that.

Weren't those generation Celicas good to drive? I remember reading an old C/D comparo where it came in close second to the RSX. Was there a major reason why it didn't sell well?

well it is a good looking little car and no i wasn't talking about that model it would be the next edition of that SC title so SC10? the one that hasn't been built yet