LiCO2 Battery with 7 times the energy density of Li-Ion.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
No word on charging speeds or cost though, or mass production viability.

Also I'm not sure how easy/cheap Mo is, I know it's added to some steels to strengthen em but that's about it.

And it's carbon-neutral! This might be what is needed to make EVs range-competitive with fossil fuels.

https://www.adaptnetwork.com/tech/first-fully-rechargeable-carbon-dioxide-battery/

I thought we made it already? Tesla has ICE range while VW is touting their ID golf type hatchback to have ICE range as well. Time will tell of course.

The carbon neutral thing... this really depends for current electric cars, no? Like if your infrastructure is mostly hydro, solar/wind, or nuclear(citation needed) you will eventually reach carbon neutrality.

I thought we made it already? Tesla has ICE range while VW is touting their ID golf type hatchback to have ICE range as well. Time will tell of course.

That is true, there are some concerns about diminishing range at extreme temperatures (though our Nordic friends seem not-at-all inconvenienced with it). I would argue the bigger hurdle is reducing the recharge times so that when you do run out of range, it's 10 minutes rather than 30 at best.

Who said lithium couldn't get much better?

I would like to point out this from the article,

This research was supported, in part, by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and a grant from the National Science Foundation.

This is an example of Government supporting research that can have a fundamental change at several levels.

That is true, there are some concerns about diminishing range at extreme temperatures (though our Nordic friends seem not-at-all inconvenienced with it). I would argue the bigger hurdle is reducing the recharge times so that when you do run out of range, it's 10 minutes rather than 30 at best.

I figure 15 minutes is the magic recharge number. That's what a fuel/rest stop normally takes on a road trip. Great thing about the recharge is you don't have to watch it like a fuel refill.

For daily use, it won't change the way most charge. They will probably even be able to charge less often.

As for long range driving, you can cut the weight of a battery pack in half and still get more than 3 times the range.

So a long range Tesla Model 3 has a range just over 300 miles. Imagine being able to go 900 with a lighter pack. It is a complete game changer.

Who said lithium couldn't get much better?
Like I said above, we have no word on real world viability of this or things like recharge times. Creating an experimental prototype is one thing, making it actually scale is a whole nother ballgame.

I guess we shall see what, if anything actually comes off of this.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love for better batteries to come along, I have a metric ton of stuff I use daily that uses rechargeables, but I can’t help thinking about some recent announcements that didn’t amount to anything, like would state batteries

Last edited:
There have been other recent announcements about improvements to Li-Io technology that combine for about a 10% improvement that are sure to be implemented far sooner than this. That 10% will be a significant improvement. If this is 5 to 10 years away, this will be a huge change, and not just for automotive uses.

huge change, and not just for automotive uses.
Yep, like I said I absolutely want this to happen because I'd love to have a phone I only charge once a week.
concerns about diminishing range at extreme temperatures (though our Nordic friends seem not-at-all inconvenienced with it)
I remember watching a Rich Rebuilds video on that, this was specific to Tesla but I suspect it would hold true for all BEVs. Basically what he was saying is that when the temp gets cold enough the car has to run warm coolant around the battery to keep it from freezing and if it's not plugged into a proper charger it would actually lose charge.

I was thinking grid power storage more than anything else.

It is when there is terrain that supports it.

If this is 5 to 10 years away, this will be a huge change, and not just for automotive uses.

As has been every single revolutionary battery tech since I was five (or ten) :p

I figure 15 minutes is the magic recharge number. That's what a fuel/rest stop normally takes on a road trip. Great thing about the recharge is you don't have to watch it like a fuel refill.

See the Swisstaly roadtrip - the charging technology is here already to not be a hassle.

IMO it has to be as quick as a gas pump, otherwise it becomes inconvenient for anyone who doesn't charge at home/work.

It does but it's all about learning new habits and adapting.

But a full charge takes more than 15 minutes, right?

Yes, but that's not the relevant question. Charging time spent waiting was less than refuelling time spent waiting.
Most of the charging time was spent having food or doing other stuff, all of the refuelling time was wasted.

IMO it has to be as quick as a gas pump, otherwise it becomes inconvenient for anyone who doesn't charge at home/work.

If you can charge at home, at work, at the supermarket, at restaurants, at the movies, etc. then you'll never have to stop specifically to refill outside of long roadtrips ever again. That more than makes up for the rare occasions when you want to do very long distances in very short times, cutting short human breaks in favour of speed.

Gas pump speeds are irrelevant when you pull up, pump, walk inside, pay, walk back, pull into the next lot, go have food, go to the restroom, drive on - how fast the "pump" part is doesn't matter much for the overall time spent on the stop.
With a BEV you pull into the next lot, plug in, go have food, go to the restroom, drive on - less time spent.

Last edited: