Lightroom

phuckingduck

is awesome!
Car(s)
'03 Volvo S60 AWD
So, just loaded the trial. Wow that's a shit load of stuff that wasn't in Picasa. Tips/Hints? I'm looking to go a little bit beyond basic photo editing and management, and I'm really interested in the burn/dodge feature.

Look for some presets you like, there are plenty of place out there offering free ones. When I'm back on my desktop I post some links to ones I like.

Burn = Darken
Dodge = Lighten

I don't know what Lightroom has, but Corel PhotoPaint implements dodge/burn as a brush tool so I can selectively apply it to a very specific area in the photo. I can select to dodge or burn shadows, midtones or highlights.

Burn = Darken
Dodge = Lighten

I don't know what Lightroom has, but Corel PhotoPaint implements dodge/burn as a brush tool so I can selectively apply it to a very specific area in the photo. I can select to dodge or burn shadows, midtones or highlights.
I know what it does :p I'm just completely adrift as far as automasking and what not goes.

Lightroom has the Local Adjustment Brush, which can sort of work as a dodge/burn as you can apply brightness/darkness or exposure to it. Not as good as the Photoshop dodge/burn, but for quick editing it's good enough.

Lightroom is just a fancy interface for Adobe Camera Raw, it will have the tools that has, not of Photoshop CS4.

I used to have it but found myself going back to PS, but thats probably because I never bothered to learn to use it. If I knew I was going to edit multiple shots in a similar way I would use it otherwise for single I usually just used PS (which was PS 7 at the time).

I use lightroom for mass adjustments, then pull the photo up in Photoshop for the minor edits.

Lightroom is an AMAZING program, especially when you get a shot with the right composition, but your camera settings are off. The ability to adjust WB, exposure ratings, etc etc when using RAW files is simply awesome.

So my typical workflow is add my newest set to a quick collection in lightroom, flag the shots I will edit, then go to each shot and adjust to taste, then right click the photo and click "edit in photoshop", where lightroom will automatically convert the RAW into the desired format (I choose tiff, sRGB color space, 8bit) and open it up in photoshop. In photoshop I do my dodging burning, and other editing (typically cloning out plates, filling in rock chips etc), then I save the tiff, which is in full size and go from there.

So Camera>Lightroom>Photoshop

I definitely think it is to your advantage to become familiar with the program, especially if you shoot RAW as it is such a powerful tool to make your pictures look even better because of the all the camera-specific adjustments that photoshop does not directly have.

Lightroom is just a fancy interface for Adobe Camera Raw, it will have the tools that has, not of Photoshop CS4.

Lightroom users get screwed then. The updated dodge and burn tools are very nice.

i love lightroom.... i use it 95% of the time because thats all i need. if i wanna do something a bit good then i try my hand at photoshop but mostly lightroom editing seems to please the people i do photos for a lot so i keep using it (less work for me that way)