Like your BMW? Like not being on fire? NHTSA forces BMW to recall R and K bikes.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/a...ing-51000-motorcycles-for-fuel-leak.html?_r=0

BMW Is Recalling 51,000 Motorcycles for Fuel Leak

By CHRISTOPHER JENSENJAN. 6, 2014

Following an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, BMW says it isrecalling almost 51,000 motorcycles because of a possible fuel leak, according to a report the automaker posted on the agency?s website. Most of the recalled motorcycles are 2005-11 R and K series models.

The action comes almost 14 months after N.H.T.S.A. began investigating consumer complaints about fuel leaks. BMW said it would recall the motorcycles, although the automaker said the leaks do not pose ?an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety.?

The problem involves cracks developing in a plastic flange on the fuel pump, possibly after a maintenance procedure is performed incorrectly. In addition, BMW said, corrosive fluids could damage a seal, causing ?a small leak.?

At least one owner told the safety agency that the leak was not small.

?I started the motorcycle engine ? a few seconds after it started, gasoline started to gush from the front of the bike onto the engine,? one owner wrote to the agency. ?Before I knew it, I was in a puddle of gasoline. I shut it off as soon as I realized what was happening. I mopped up the gasoline off of the floor to eliminate the fire danger.?

Some other owners told the agency that, after finishing a ride, they found a pant leg soaked in gasoline.

BMW told the agency it was not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires related to the issue.

BMW?s report said that the automaker received its first complaint of a leak in 2006 and several more the following year. By early 2010, the company had investigated the problem and concluded that the leaks were because of improper servicing techniques. During the first half of 2010, BMW made manufacturing changes to new models to prevent such problems.

The full list of recalled motorcycles can be seen here.

Just one of the features of owning a BMW. Exploding shaft drive, engine oil filings, fuel pump leaks, indicators that don't work; it's called character. How boring would it be if everything on your bike just worked?!?!

Joke's on you, I love being on fire.

BMW Cars>BMW Motorcycles.

Yeah, I love $300 oil changes.