London 2012 Olympic Games

Now over - well done all the competitors, teams, officials, organisers and the BBC. Even the commentators did a quite good job - I only spotted them flogging a dead horse a few times. The Ugandan chap (who won the marathon) interview was really funny.

I will defer to an American (or two) to say about the NBC coverage, they did not take the standard feeds but had their own cameras - fair enough.

Last edited:
Closing ceremony was pretty awful to start with (Though with the opening to compare it to, how would it be anything else?) ..It got a LOT better!! The olympics as a whole..God damn we nailed it.. MANY congratulations to TeamGB. That BBC ending sequence was absolutely fantastic. I am feeling bloody proud to be British tonight.

Last edited:
Great show, great games! Thank you London, thank you Great Britain, thank you all athletes!

Also thank you OBS (not the BBC ;)) for the nice production. For next games all they need to do is watch TdF and some Giro so they learn how to produce cycling events.

As far as a musical medley representing what Britain has given to the world; that couldn't have got much better. The Opening Ceremony will always be the bigger one but the groups involved and ending with The Who takes the biscuit (thank god Paul McCartney wasn't back). One epic party to end what (as a Brit) was an absolutely perfect Games.

One thing I will note - and its a very light handed note since ours was especially shit at Beijing - but Brazil's section (IMO) wasn't very good. I fear that their opening ceremony will just be a giant carnival. I'm not saying they should have no reference to carnival in it, but by god I'm sure Brazil's done more than that - so tell the world about it. You've got one fucking awesome opening ceremony to follow - and one that showed if anything mass-choreographed dancing is shit and much better can be done instead.

One final point - I cannot wait to see how long the Honours list is at the end of the year. Fucking huge that thing will be - but a worthy load of Sirs and Dames I bet... :p

Last edited:
One final point - I cannot wait to see how long the Honours list is at the end of the year. Fucking huge that thing will be - but a worthy load of Sirs and Dames I bet... :p

I'm wondering how long the BBC Sports Personality will be this year as well.

The closing ceremony was alright. The only great bits were the John Lennon Imagine sequence, Eric Idles Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (if the other pythons had turned up I would have probably screamed like a girl was doing when 1 Direction appeared.) and the routine by the Who.
I was really hoping that David Bowie would make an appearance but it only turned out to be a tribute to British fashion with a bunch of walking sticks.
The weirdest moment came when the Olympic flame was extinguished. You could hear the crowd not wanting it to go out. I could understand. I have enjoyed the last 2 weeks so much I didn't want it to end.

At least There are now only 544 days until the Sochi Winter Olympic games.

Although, londons story is not over just yet. August. 29th sees the start of the Paralympics.

The commentators had been speaking to a Brazilian journalist who said that Rio 2016 will be two weeks non-stop party and nothing will work :lol:

As far as a musical medley representing what Britain has given to the world; that couldn't have got much better. The Opening Ceremony will always be the bigger one but the groups involved and ending with The Who takes the biscuit (thank god Paul McCartney wasn't back). One epic party to end what (as a Brit) was an absolutely perfect Games.

Yeah, it was very good.
Lots of highlights, Elbow during the athlete's entrance was excellent, the Imagine piece with John Lennon, "Wish you were here" by a wierd combo of Floyd & Genesis and sung beautifully.
The Eric Idle thing, the "Pinball Wizzard" scooters and the Spice Girl taxis were very funny & made me laugh out loud.

One thing I will note - and its a very light handed note since ours was especially shit at Beijing - but Brazil's section (IMO) wasn't very good. I fear that their opening ceremony will just be a giant carnival. I'm not saying they should have no reference to carnival in it, but by god I'm sure Brazil's done more than that - so tell the world about it. You've got one fucking awesome opening ceremony to follow - and one that showed if anything mass-choreographed dancing is shit and much better can be done instead.

Know what you mean, but it's probably a cultural thing, Pele being there was good.
I didn't get all the refernces in the closing ceremony and I live here. (Skating nuns?) :lol:

For the Brits and the Commonwealth team members too.

Sir Usain Bolt has a nice ring to it & has got to be a probability.
(The sports personality of the Games, I think.)

:smile:

So so hot. Yeah, I wasn't happy with the end results. I thought Spain should have won Gold...also thought the Canadians were better than the Russians. But i'm no expert of course.
If you don't watch the Olympics with the intention of being an armchair expert, you're doing it wrong as far as I'm concerned.

As another aside, my cousins daughter won a silver medal at Weymouth over night in the Women's Match Racing...
Congrats. The Spanish were solid and deserved their gold, but our girls were classier and IMO would've won. Two little mistakes and they end up with Silver. Story of our games really. Very young crew though, look the goods for Rio.

I thought the closing ceremony was awesome! However, NBC (the bastards) cut out The Who at the end.

I thought the closing ceremony was awesome! However, NBC (the bastards) cut out The Who at the end.

Lemme guess what the reasoning will be:

"The Who simply isn't relevant to the American audience."

Seriously NBC? Go die in a fire.

Between:

*what happened last night with the closing ceremony

*the awful color commentary at each event

*the botched opening ceremony where the exec uttered the same line as above for the terror disaster tribute that they axed in favor of fuckwad Ryan Seacrest

(btw NBC thanks for essentially insulting the fucking intelligence and attention spans of the American public you ignorant fucks by saying its "not relevant" and insinuating to the WHOLE WORLD that we wouldn't have paid attention. Fucking embarrassing....have some fucking goddamn class and admit you wanted more Seacrest time you assholes)

*and those goddamn "Tomorrow on Today!" spoilers...they should never do the Olympic coverage again.

Just awful.

Last edited:
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Most golds for us since 1984, and the most golds ever on foreign soil.

Congrats. The Spanish were solid and deserved their gold, but our girls were classier and IMO would've won. Two little mistakes and they end up with Silver. Story of our games really. Very young crew though, look the goods for Rio.

Unfortunately, that was the one and only time they would have women's match racing at the olympics, so Lu and her team mates will have to figure out what they want to do if they want to be at the Rio games. Two new classes for Rio may suit them (49er skiff - 2 person; and a catamaran class - one man and one woman), but the London team will have to split.

I think they played the whole thing very well. They went off-line a couple of weeks before the games started and stayed well under the publicity radar for most of the event. The swimming team could learn a lot from our sailors in that regard.

One other thing I forgot to mention how awesome it was - the Freddie Mercury video section (before We Will Rock You). What's better than over 120,000 people singing along to a video of a dead man? :lol: Legen...wait for it...

However, NBC (the bastards) cut out The Who at the end.

wat

No really - I thought cutting out the dancing section in the Opening Ceremony bad; of all the countries to not respect anothers loss like that, but THE WHO?!? Who are these directors? Get them the fuck out of my country - NOW.

...DARY.

Last edited:
I think I'll keep the BBC thank you. They should have cut the Spice Gals. ... not the Who.

Commercial stations have different pressures upon them and no matter how good you manage it the coverage will always be inferior just because you have to cut away to advertisements.

According to wiki -

"The closing ceremonies were edited for time. The men's marathon medal ceremony was not aired along with a few musical performances. NBC interrupted the cloasing ceremonies before The Who took stage to air a sitcom and late local news. Again, American viewers expressed their dismay using social media. [SUP][55][/SUP]". Fair enough.

Last edited:
In the end, everything went well. Congratulations, Britain. I think these were the best games since Sidney 2000 and the closing ceremony was a great party with some very emotional moments (John Lennon, Freddy Mercury). It showed, that there is still no country in the world, that can match with Britain, when it comes to pop music culture.

Britain can be proud of these games and 3rd place in the medal ranking is brilliant, too. Let's hope it all functions as a beginning for a better and optimistic future. Such events often work as a jump start. And we all need that now.

Even though I enjoyed the games a lot, I cannot help but think about how many of the medallists achieved their successes with unfair methods. Some performances were doubtful, to put it mildly. And today I read the first gold-medallist got her medal revoked, because she was tested positive. As long as such things happen, I will always be doubtful, if the winners have won by fair means and how many athlets have been cheated by others.

Last edited:
You know what? We did good... REALLY good. So much worry, so much pessimism.. It was absolutely brilliant! Our athletes were incredible and have undoubtedly inspired a generation. Phenomenal. Feeling very proud to be British.

Me too. All that doom and gloom beforehand and I think we can be justifiably proud of all the athletes, Team GB in particular of course, those who worked to put it all together the last 7 years and the nation as a whole.

GO BORIS GO

bKCUN.gif

Apparently they not only cut out The Who, but Ray Davies and Muse as well. Then they showed everything in non-chronological order, and beeped out Eric Idle's "shit". Condolences to anyone who's had to suffer through NBC's coverage this summer.

Last edited:
A couple more things I remembered;
(1) Wasn't the pixel display in the stadium fucking epic!?! Awesomesauce and I wonder how long until a new stadium has it installed :p
(2) Holy mother of god IOC please get someone even remotely alive looking, interesting, active, inspirational and capable of a smile as your president because Jacques Rogge is none of those things. Seriously the dullest most horrific person I've ever seen in such an inappropriate setting. Any man that makes Seb Coe look interesting clearly needs a coffin.