Looks like my mobo finally gave up the ghost...

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
It's a Gigabyte GA H67MA, with an i7 2600 strapped to it. I just came home with some extra ram for it, shut it down, plugged the memory in, pressed the button and... Nothing.

I've had some issues with it before, where it would get stuck in a boot loop, but when reaching the pc shop, it would boot just fine, probably just to make me look bad. It was deduced it's something to do with it being subjected to some torsion and internal connections being wonky.

I'm taking it back to the pc shop tomorrow to have a look, but if it's indeed croaked, I'll need a new one.

Is it worth replacing, or should I shell out for an upgrade? And if so, what's a good upgrade for it? I'm also getting a gtx 970 at new year's, so my budget isn't unlimited.

:(

ha, that's what i told him as well. had two of my PSUs fail very early on in their lives, without any indication of a fault beforehand. just wouldn't start the PC anymore (at all, nothing). if you can borrow someone's PSU, this can easily be ruled out, so no worries here.

what with the upgrading and all that: you can probably pick up a mobo for about 50?, i guess, depending on how picky you want to be. i'm still running an i5-750 (so even older) and i'm fine with that. admittedly, i don't do video editing at all, but i have yet to encounter something where the CPU would bottleneck my GTX760 (except maybe battlefield4, but bf4 is weird that way... and has been patched to not do that anymore).
so from me, you have a vote not to upgrade... although i'd probably just use the excuse of a failed mobo to do so anyway myself :dunno:

tl,dr: useless post is useless.

Psu was checked, shorting the pertinent contacts in the 24 pin connector makes it come to life.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to my standard computer store today to see if they can diagnose it up.

Been on the phone several times with the guy. He can't get it to run and says the only thing he can think of to explain it is a severed connection inside the circuitry of the motherboard, which is something that can't be repaired. He'll order a replacement and it's going in tomorrow. Should be around 100euro, as it has to be a 4ram slot one.

More news tomorrow as I get back from the radio interview shoot.

Yeah, if it's the circuitry between the PCB layers of the mobo it can't be fixed.

Yeah, they couldn't get it fixed, so now I'm on a replacement one. All is well again.

AND! Now I have 16 GB of ram, so I can finally play games without having to worry about closing Chrome first. Dragon Age Inquisition seems to load a lot faster now. :)

:spectre:

No, 8. I haven't been able to afford a computer upgrade in the past 3 years.