Someone Else's Problem: Lunacy and Eternal Optimism part II - 2001 Disco 2 V8

I'll get some pics at some point, most of the time jobs are just done in time and involve lots of swearing so no time for that. It looks like a hideous plastic scab but it works and you can't see it from floor level. :lol:

A week on from sealing up the roof, time to check it. It's been raining a fair amount this week and no puddles have appeared on the rear load cover.

Everything looks OK up top. Yes it looks a mess but like I said nobody can see it, apart from lorry drivers, helicopter pilots and people on the 1st floor upwards (that's the one above ground floor, Americans :p) but who cares about them?

2015-10-24%2015.26.41_S1024.jpg

Inside is bone dry, no sign of any leaks.

2015-10-24%2015.30.32_S1024.jpg

It has dried out enough for the 2nd row light to start working again!
2015-10-24%2015.30.42_S1024.jpg

Last edited:
I had one in the Sierra, which is about a decade ago now. I miss being able to lean back and watch the traffic light through it.

I want a sunroof. :(

I had one in Merc, and all i got were bleedin sunburns. (even with enclosed shade, there's always some ray getting thru the vents) I'm sooooo glad to have plain roof now :rolleyes:

It has dried out enough for the 2nd row light to start working again!

That's any car's way to show it's happy - bring something back to life. After i got rid of thoose hideous 17"s, my heater vacuum system started to switch!

(Yeh'ikno, it's probably simply got shaken into work, cause of the tires.... uhm... "test run", but anyway, i felt like sharing this madness of mystical theories.)

Curiosity question: are thoose shades on your 2nd sunroof stock? Are they electric? Are they working? Kay, that's enough questions :mrgreen:

I just got cooked by mine in the BMW. Plus, I thought I'd broken it for several months until one day I uh, accelerated rather aggressively and the shade got unstuck and slid back :lol:

I'm not a fan of them since I have an irrational fear of a bowling ball or boulder bashing through and doing me in. So, I am glad my Genesis does not have one :p

If I got one, it'd be the Webasto Hollandia 735, which has an OEM look and a shade that actually works. :p

Here, aftermarket sunroofs died with the KE70 Corollas about a quarter of a century ago. And these were the kind that just tilted up in the back.

I wouldn't dare to cut a hole in my roof just to install a sunroof. I'd rather be without it.

I want a sunroof. :(

I have 2. :p I also have 2 in Keely and I don't really need them, since I've used plastic to seal up this leak a bigger one won't be a problem if you have the cash :p (just kidding I'm not that much of a rip-off merchant).

I had one in Merc, and all i got were bleedin sunburns. (even with enclosed shade, there's always some ray getting thru the vents) I'm sooooo glad to have plain roof now :rolleyes:

For these things not having a sunroof is rare and to some people more desirable, because there's nothing to leak and ruin the roof lining, which droops down when it gets wet (as in Keely despite the sunroofs never leaking - WTF?). Actually that's not true the rear quarter light (roof) windows leak too, which could've been a possibility here but fingers crossed they're fine. You can almost see inside through the perished seals on Keely but who cares...

That's any car's way to show it's happy - bring something back to life. After i got rid of thoose hideous 17"s, my heater vacuum system started to switch!

(Yeh'ikno, it's probably simply got shaken into work, cause of the tires.... uhm... "test run", but anyway, i felt like sharing this madness of mystical theories.)

Curiosity question: are thoose shades on your 2nd sunroof stock? Are they electric? Are they working? Kay, that's enough questions :mrgreen:

As a man once said: "This car mends itself!"

The shades are stock and the only shade you get, there is no sliding cover. Exactly the same in Keely, they didn't change them from 1994 to the end of the Discovery 2 in 2004. :lol: They are electric (also in Keely) but they tilt and slide up rather than dropping down and retracting behind the headlining, so when slid back they're nice big glass targets for any stones or low flying birds to hit and break. They look odd.

5265510005_large.jpg

Thoughtfully though when LR drew the vehicle height diagram on the driver's headrest they added the height with the sunroof tilted and retracted so you don't wipe the rear one out in underground car parks.

Strangely the sunroofs in Bugsy actually do tilt and go back but the ones in Keely only tilt (yeah sorry Ice forgot to mention that, maybe I can knock a tenner off), both of them. They don't seem broken either, they just don't seem to do that. Possibly it's because it's a 1995 model built in 1994 and has some old parts.

Last edited:
...so when slid back they're nice big glass targets for any stones or low flying birds to hit and break.
Oh, you mean besides your head and other "unimportant" objects to be hit. Ehem ;) Rock shower is a bad thing for any kinda sunroof, 'specially when it's open.

Thoughtfully though when LR drew the vehicle height diagram on the driver's headrest they added the height with the sunroof tilted and retracted so you don't wipe the rear one out in underground car parks.

This. Plus, they saved inner celling from being bulgey & hollow. I actually fancy idea of slide-outs.

If I got one, it'd be the Webasto Hollandia 735, which has an OEM look and a shade that actually works. :p

Whadayamean "IF"? Go'n'get it, life's short man! Belive me, every car looses it's OEM looks (or/and/duuuh) hull integrity before you can actually spoil it with additions. You want the thing - screw details.

Don't forget to drive your cars people, otherwise you'll end up with a dead battery like me. :roll:

Seemed fine when I went out to it today but wouldn't turn over and it did some funny thing setting the alarm off. Following attempts got clicking from the starter solenoid and that's it. Fortunately I didn't actually have to use it, I was doing so because it's been two weeks since I last drove it. I don't have any kind of jump pack and it's in a position where it couldn't be jumped from another car, however as luck would have it Amazon had a lightning deal on an Anker branded lithium pack. ?45 at 25% off seemed good to me and I'm a prime member so it should be here tomorrow. Here's hoping it's pre-charged but I'll make a video when I get a chance to try it.

Mine can sit for six to eight months and still crank just fine. You just made the mistake of buying a Land Rover :p

You just made the mistake of buying a Land Rover :p

Well duh. :p

Maybe there's a drain or the battery is just old. In the last 4 weeks I've only driven it a few times and only short distances.

If you have a possibility to hook it up with a battery trainer during extended periods of unuse, the trainer will pay itself back with the first saved battery.

Maybe there's a drain or the battery is just old. In the last 4 weeks I've only driven it a few times and only short distances.

Or you've got oneofthoose fancy gel-polymer-something~ish battery. Thoose are good for day-to day run with incomplete charge (short trips to office for exp.) but go completely flat on their own in matter of week or two.

Old acid-Pb-copper types are my favorite, altho they like to be charged to at least 75%, but never run outta juice if there isn't a leak.

Irrelevant of batteries tho, cars must run at least once in half-a-year (or better once in a month), cause mystics or maths, everything gets "used to" potato lifestyle.

I replaced my OEM battery (60Ah Varta) with a 72Ah Exide AGM last spring when the old one started acting up from a couple winters worth of parking heater abuse combined with lots of short trips. The Exide has performed really well so far.

You should measure idle drain and figure out where it's from :D

The booster pack arrived today (glad Amazon got it right this time) and it worked! I made a crappy video.

Reactions: MWF
The booster pack arrived today (glad Amazon got it right this time) and it worked! I made a crappy video.

I.. think i'll buy one D:

Last edited: