Ownership Verified: MadCat360's Mazda RX-8

Legit Corvette kill this time? :lol:

During the day I learned two things.

4th gear does not like to mesh when it gets warm.

And I have an oil leak.

It seems to be very specific. The best theory I have (supplied by members of the paddock) is that the oil pan is losing seal under high load and it's leaking out on two sides. That's why my oil use is so high on the track (about 1 quart per 1 hour of track time). When I get back to the pits and sit for a bit there is a nice oil pan sized/shaped leak pattern on the ground.

Apparently there's a kit for it. Of course. Yet another expense to make it seaworthy.

Fo sho. It could be dripping apex seals out the exhaust instead.

We'll get there.

I noticed something in the car this morning.

Turning full lock to the left, the top of the wheel ends up at about 7:30 o-clock after 1 and a bit turn. Turning all the way right, the top ends up right at 6 o-clock - 1.5 turns.

Is this just how they are or is something wrong?

Turning full lock to the left, the top of the wheel ends up at about 7:30 o-clock after 1 and a bit turn. Turning all the way right, the top ends up right at 6 o-clock - 1.5 turns.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong, but I believe all cars are symmetrical. :lol:
I would be very intrigued.

I recall 1.5 in each direction but I will check tomorrow.

Definitely the same for me left and right, both are just a smidge under 1.5 turns. Around 6:30 on the clock for the top of the wheel.

Last edited:
Good job on driving the absolute balls off your car at Laguna, those were quick laps and faster than what meat-head Clarkson managed in an NSX.

I gotta check mine.. There's no signs of accident damage in the bow of your car, is there? Or other interesting alterations?

I gotta check mine.. There's no signs of accident damage in the bow of your car, is there? Or other interesting alterations?

Minor scrapes, not enough to even budge the bumper let alone bend the frame. The thing is as true as any arrow. No pull under brakes, no wander, no crabbing, no strange tire wear.

It must be something up with the steering linkage itself.

Welp, there's a bit more to the oil leak story than I had thought.

The pan seal is indeed leaking. That will cost $200 including oil change. But there's two other leaks.

The first is the oil filler assembly. It's leaking bad. $800 to replace (shop work). The filler assembly itself is $350.

The second is the water pump (common) and top and bottom radiator hoses (not so common). $600 to fix.

I can't afford all of these. I'm going to do the pan seal, then put a fund together for the other two.

Welp, there's a bit more to the oil leak story than I had thought.

I hope the engine has been taken care of! Although, with what you paid for it, you can afford a rebuild.

Yeah, it was expected. Sucks in any case. :sad:

I'd definitely recommend doing the repairs yourself. It's a simple design and the parts are very easy to work with. And if you do end up pulling the engine, might as well open it up and do a complete rebuild. Or at least check the condition of the rotors, apex seals and such.

Those part prices sound insane, though.

Yeah I will see if I can find a better price. I will try to do the oil filler and water leaks myself. I will probably take a weekend, but it is good that both of them need it at more or less the same time because taking one of them apart will make taking the other one apart much easier.

rx8club.com must have a load of leads to cheap(er) parts retailers. And not to mention a load of helpful people!

Remember to take a lot of photos. :)

You've seen the 3-day rebuild BHR did some time ago?

Hmm well I priced the parts. The kit for the oil filler neck, the silicone hoses (no point in getting OEM really) and either a water pump or a gasket would come out to $600/$650/$800 depending on the water pump I get.

Might as well throw a thermostat in as well while I've got the hoses pulled apart.

I introduced my car to the SOHN-adapter. Now it drinks 2T and flushes with regular 5W30. Thanks for the tip!

Costs:

Sohn adapter for Renesis $121 (+ silly shipping and customs to finland)
Hoses, clamps, attaching belt $10
4 litres of synthetic 2T-oil $25 (rotary aviation recommended non-synthetic, but I'd already bought this)
Yamaha motorbike oil reservoir-tank $15 (plus some modding)

So it's not exactly a free mod. But.. somehow completes the car. And not having to constantly worry about the quality/quantity of oil the engine is burning is a huge relief. I just replaced my engine oil after 6k km and it was thick black. Can't even begin to imagine how painful it is to burn that shit.

Such fun working on this car. :)

Sounds like exactly what I need! I'll be doing that mod before long.

First I have to tear the front bits apart, and that will happen Tuesday. Then i will know exactly what I need. I had another set of eyes look at the filler neck leak and it looks like it may just be a pair of gaskets, so no $350 kit! Yay.

So, MadCat went and did this. :p

[video=youtube;WTqB-gwlRdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqB-gwlRdM&hd=1[/video]