Mafia!

YF19pilot

Car(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe
Came across this over at the SA forums, and figured it'd be fun. A simple game of Mafia (please click here for basic instructions.)

I'll play mod, and for those who want to join up, post here. First 11 people to post get in.

All spots are filled up!

Current Players:
mgkdk
MXM whacked Night 2--vanilla townie
Andy whacked Night 1--vanilla townie
The_Finn
pdanev
m102486
'CruiserMan
Jacobfox
Shawn lynched Day 2--vanilla townie
Peter3hg lynched Day 1--mafiascum!
jakifirbec

Last edited:
Sounds fun, I'm in :D

I'm also in.

I've played this game before and it's good fun. It can make an 8 hour train travel pass in an instant. Well, sort of :p

LE: the version of this game I played included the moderator, the cop(s), the serial killer(s), the medic (optional) and the villagers. The number of cops, the number of killers and the presence of the doctor depended of the numbers of players.

Last edited:
what the heck i'll go for it not like i am doing any actual work at work anyway

I'm in but I don't see how the Mafia are supposed to talk to each other as PM's would be a pain to loads of people.

Depends on how many people are there in Mafia.

I'm more concerned about timing. Half of the people are sleeping and half are at work/school all the time. So periods need to be pretty long, which might make game boring...

Sounds like a good way to waste some time, not that I have much now during exam period, but at least I can do something completely opposite of studying to cool my head down while I have a coffee break. :)

I'm in, but I must agree with MXM, communication time will take quite a while if done over PM.

Played it in real life with a bigger group in my youth... Was fun then, because youcan mess with peoples head. Dunno, won't be around the next few days, so I'll pass...

Yeah, time periods and what not would be an issue. Also, seeing the slow trickle of people to join I'm thinking of kicking it back down to 10 people. There will probably only be 2 mafia in a game that small, makes communication easier, plus there's always AIM...

Day periods will end when there is a majority vote for lynchings.

I wanna check it out but I get a fatal error in the linky link?

I wanna check it out but I get a fatal error in the linky link?

Copied the basics

Basic Rules

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is the kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and Day begins.

During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.

Basic Roles

The above suffices for a Vanilla game, but most games of mafiascum have roles other than just Mafia and Townie. These roles have additional abilities (which are usually used during the Night, though there are some Day abilities as well). The most common are listed here.

Cop - Each night, the Cop can investigate one player (by sending their name to the Moderator), and finds out whether that player is Mafia or not. The Cop is on the Town's side.

Doctor - Each night, the Doctor can choose one player to protect (by sending their name to the Moderator). If the Mafia (or anyone else) tries to kill that player, they will fail. The Doctor is on the Town's side.

Vigilante - Each night, the Vigilante may kill another player (by sending their name to the Moderator). The Vigilante is on the Town's side.

Mason - The Masons are a group on the Town's side who know each other and can talk to each other at Night.

Serial Killer - The Serial Killer (often abbreviated as SK), like the Vigilante, may kill another player each Night (by sending their name to the Moderator). However, the Serial Killer is not on the Town's side or the Mafia's side. The Serial Killer wins when everyone else is dead.

Multiple Families - Often there is more than one group of Mafia. These act independently of one another, and must kill the other group as well as the Town in order to win.

The forum isn't accepting my registration. It's says I'm a bot but the image verification is screwed up. :(

The forum isn't accepting my registration. It's says I'm a bot but the image verification is screwed up. :(

I don't know about mafiascum's registration, but I'm running the game here, on Final Gear, not on their forum.

Yeah, but then remaining people might draw wrong conclusions about those who didn't reply, only because they weren't near PC at that time :)

True, but I suppose it'll be up to you guys to at least try to curb that.

if there are still places, I'd love to give this a shot.

Likewise