Making a 1080p rip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
So it looks like we'll have to make our own MKV rip if we want a 1080p one.

I have a H.264 1080i TS, but I'm scratching my head at all of the guides that exist on the Internet for how to transcode and deinterlace it. Anyone here a video encoding ninja? 'Cause I'm certainly not.

Then there's the issue of quality. It may just be the interlacing, but the quality is absolute crap compared to the 720p rip, even with deinterlace and post-processing filters running in MPC. Unless one of you can work some magic on this 1080i, I'm tempted to just say fuck it and stick to the 720p.

Last edited:
Weirdly enough, there is nothing on hdbits as of now...
I guess, the PQ availible isn't really good enough to justify 1080p. I got all the versions, have only watched the scene one, though.
But: If you compare the screens on hdb from the SIARPC scene, the hdb 720p internal looks just as good as the 1080i ts original. Banas hair is really sharp in the lulz one, but in the 1080i version on 1:1 pixels it is a bit fuzzy...

What do you think of going with the lulz hdb internal 720p as a higher quality alternative for archiving purposes?

Weirdly enough, there is nothing on hdbits as of now...

The 1080i H.264 TS I have is off HDBits. ;)

What do you think of going with the lulz hdb internal 720p as a higher quality alternative for archiving purposes?

That will likely be the one in our end-of-season pack. Not too impressed with the quality of the 1080i rip either.

Last edited:
Looks to be a higher bitrate one on RU, but it's a H264 1080i TS as well.

I meant, there is no 1080p on hdbits, as I said, I also have the 1080i from there ;-)

Making a 2-3GB 1080p x264 release only has a point if the source is the original broadcast.
Starting out with an already-reencoded 1080i video would result in unnecessary losses.

Don't know what sort of 1080i file you have, but if there are different bit rates floating around then I smell weirdness.

If, in the future, you have a nice 1080i/p file in TS format, you could just post that up for us PS3 users who can stream that directly :)

I prefer using staxrip to do the work for me. If your interested in effort-sharing give me a call where I can find the source material and I'll give it a try.

What are some sources for *.ts file? Have a PS3 into a 65" hdtv....so the 1.0-1.5gb tv rips tend to look pretty soft.....would love to see larger files. I couldn't find it on usenet. I have no invites to any private site. Is it on ftp somewhere? thx.

If, in the future, you have a nice 1080i/p file in TS format, you could just post that up for us PS3 users who can stream that directly :)
Even if it's interlaced? :yucky:

Even if it's interlaced? :yucky:

The original broadcast (interlaced of course), played back with good software doing smart deinterlacing, will look better than any further-compressed version with the deinterlacing already applied.

I think the main reason the 1080i raw streams looks so rubbish to you mainly has to do with BBCHD's fairly recent cutting of the broadcast bitrate from 16500mbps to just 9800mbps

That's bad news for making a 1080 release with noticeably better quality than the 720p ones. I believe it may not be worth the effort, bandwidth, etc for a few % increase. Shit in, shit out :(

Last edited:
Another idea: just torrent up the 1080i TS and be done with it. Advanced users can do what they want with it, everyone else can stick to the 720p.

Strongly leading towards this option currently.

Another idea: just torrent up the 1080i TS and be done with it. Advanced users can do what they want with it, everyone else can stick to the 720p.

Agreed. I don't really see the point of making a 1080p release of a 1080i file.

You don't make a 720p rip out of a 480p file, so why would you try to add data elsewhere?

Please stick to this idea. Waste of Time & Quality to make 1080i into 1080p.

I think a lot of these fuzzy PQ issues has to do with the camera lens... and the cameras image processor and such. They may not have the budget for super high quality lenses and cameras you see in big budget movies. Lower bitrate of the streaming video data mentioned above may also have a significant effect on the overall PQ.

And someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't 1080i essentially 60 frames/sec with alternating lines? There is a post processing algorithm that can be used to convert it into 30 frames/sec progressive. Or at least something similar to this IIRC.

I love super crisp beautiful footage as the next guy, but I judging from those pictures and the fact that it took the BBC so long just to get TG in HD, I'd say they didn't put an excessive amount of money into their equipment. But I don't really care that much... i'm just happy to finally see better video quality TG, in addition to a new series that seems to have started out very well. So i'm perfectly fine with 720p rips.

Last edited:
And someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't 1080i essentially 60 frames/sec with alternating lines? There is a post processing algorithm that can be used to convert it into 30 frames/sec progressive. Or at least something similar to this IIRC.

The broadcast should be 1080i50, as in 50 fields per second. One field = half a frame.

Trouble is, simply meshing two fields into one frame will cause the famous horizontal line artifacts because the two fields are recorded at slightly different times. Lots of smarter algorithms exist, and some do a pretty good job.
For example, look at Jeremy's right hand in Quiky's second image. You should see some horizontal weirdness.

Quiky's deinterlacing filter is a LOT better than whatever one I have in VLC...

Snagging a second 1080i now to compare and see which is better (I assume the larger one, but want to make sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.