Making you Pictures a bit better using paintshop pro

Kip_6666

I Bought This Title :o
Made a interesting pic but the lighting and colours are a bit dull?!

Have no fear, for there is a way to save it a bit using photo editing programs.

Lets have a little example:

1.jpg

This is OK, not bad, which is good enough for my level. But we can make it better, less boring.

Lets start up our editing software, and duplicate the background layer.

Then adjust it to blend using the overlay option. Move the bar up and down so it doesn't look totally fake. Or what ever you are in the mood for.

As so:

2.jpg

Notice the colours have improved and its become a more vibrant picture.

Last thing I also like to do is adjust the brightness and contrast.

Make sure you've merged both the layers into one so you're not accidentally editing only the one layer.

OK, from the drop down items on the top select:
Adjust > Brightness and Contrast >
We're presented with a whole array of options, best way to learn the differences is to go play with them yourself, you'll quickly notice if it improves the picture or not.

One of my favourites is "Histogram Equalise" this, as the help nicely explains does the following.

Use the Equalize command to distribute the lightness values of pixels more evenly across the lightness spectrum from black to white. This command makes the darkest pixel as close to black as possible and the lightest pixel as close to white as possible, and then distributes the remaining pixels evenly between these two values.

Of course depending on the photo, the results may vary but mostly is very pleasing to the eye.

This is what it did to our picture. Notice it has helped improved detail, and the colours seem a bit more natural.

3.jpg

Lets place our original next to it:

1.jpg

See, I think its better. :)

Another nice option if you want a bit more control or less of an impact than the equalise one is the Histogram Adjustment. Lots of slide bars and values to alter.

With a more interesting picture it can make all the difference:

DSC_2752_original.jpg

DSC_2752_copy.jpg

It only takes a few minutes and can help lift your photo to a whole new level.

^ That's even better. :)

Accessphoto.com and there -> Post-Process Editing section ;)
Forum needs registration though, but you won't regret it.

pdanev said:
^ That's even better. :)

Accessphoto.com and there -> Post-Process Editing section ;)
Forum needs registration though, but you won't regret it.

Thanks dude!

Thank whoster, I believe he posted the link to it once, and eversince I visit the forum there regularly to look at some kick ass pictures. ;)

I'm not sure where everything is in photoshop, but i bet the overlay thing works in exactly the same way.

Hmm I'm playing around with it a bit. I'm not too familiar with photoshop, even though I enter the photoshop contests, I don't know everything.

Got it!

Original:
http://img188.imageshack.**/img188/9683/dsc013327rz.jpg

Now:
http://img188.imageshack.**/img188/5937/dsc013321zn.jpg

Its a little over done, but its better than the original. Thanks for the tutorial.

^ Yep, got a bit carried away, but nice work, definitely better than the original.

pdanev said:
^ Yep, got a bit carried away, but nice work, definitely better than the original.

Sure did get a bit carried away. :lol:

I was just playing around to get a feel. This is a really neat tip though to optimize boring pictures with potential.

EDIT: This is really giving new life to some of my favorite but boring pictures.

Overlay is also excellent for making good black-and-white photos.

Simply desaturated:

example1.jpg

Using Overlay, and some other tools (mostly for removing the guy in the background):

example2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :D

I do a lot of shots at car shows and whatnot where I need to remove people or objects, so I've had quite a bit of practise with the Clone Stamp tool!

Wow, thanks a lot guys! This is great stuff, this really helps out with scanned film pics because walmart can't scan shit!

Original scan up top, fixed on bottom:

http://img305.imageshack.**/img305/89/cafecomparison6gn.jpg

Indeed, I've been playing with it since I posted that last pic, hahah.

For PS:CS users(what I used):
after you have opened your pic, go to your layers box, duplicate the layer.
then in the box right under the "Layers" tab click and find "overlay"
Then adjust the opacity slider untill you like it
then merge visible layers
done.

after that you mess with contrast, blah blah blah

BTW you don't need to duplicate the whole background, for example if you took a pic of a car and it looks washed out, but the BG looks fine, just select the car, copy and paste onto new layer and go about the same process.

Wow, this is pretty cool. you can get some neat effects if you duplicate the overlay layer a few times, or once you have the overlay, then desaturate the bottom layer.

zenkidori said:
BTW you don't need to duplicate the whole background, for example if you took a pic of a car and it looks washed out, but the BG looks fine, just select the car, copy and paste onto new layer and go about the same process.

Wow, this is pretty cool. you can get some neat effects if you duplicate the overlay layer a few times, or once you have the overlay, then desaturate the bottom layer.

Nice thinking, never thought of doing the overlay multiple times.