Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Semi-Automatic

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
I guess that's ... you. :blink:

:p

I still fail to understand how you can consider my car a "semi-automatic" when I can put it in D and go, like any automatic-equipped car made within the last half century or so. It dosn't matter if it has clutches, a torque converter or unicorns inside to do the power delivery.

To me, it does. :lol:
I see your point and I don't disagree with it, but my personal preference is: I hate the feeling of a torque converter "loading up" whenever I press the accelerator. I don't care if I can select the gears or not, it still bothers me. I just rather feel the clutch engaging. :dunno:

What about the Porsche Sportomatic, then? :p

hY4yJWE.jpg

A manual gearbox with a manually operated gear shift linkage, coupled to a vacuum-operated clutch, coupled to a torque converter, delivering power to the wheels. The clutch was electrically actuated when you grabbed the gear lever.

You only needed the clutch for shifting. The torque converter worked like any torque converter does and made sure you never stalled.

That hurts my brain...

The poll is missing a choice: both. I don't have prefence anymore. Earlier I preferred automatics, but lately I've accepted manuals too. When buying a car the transmission is the last thing that affects the decision, I can live with both.

However I've once driven a Citro?n (C4 maybe, cannot remember anymore) with a manual but without clutch. That was weird, did not like it.

The PSA "jerk-o-matic" take some getting used to, I'm told. I drove one once, didn't like it, but most people that actually own them claim you get used to it quickly. Shift quality is about the same as when you're doing the clutching and cog swapping yourself, but since you're not the one doing it, it feels odd at first.

But no, it's not a manual. :p It's an automatic because it shifts automatically, damnit. The gearbox and clutch itself is very similar to a manual but it's robotized and that makes it an automatic.