Mapping the Test Track

Its really in need of a "follow through", and im not a big fan of the white tire walls. pot some lines down and teach the guests the way around the track. just seems kinda tacky

TG track courtesy of TGA.com

http://img128.imageshack.**/img128/4135/circuitmaplargezk7.png

intresting map, thanks, clarkson corner looks more like a "The Question Mark".
lets assume they are not allowed to paint lines on runways. how about some beautifull good looking cones. at least no white oil barrels looking dividers and tyres with some flags on them.

As per the "follow through" comment, in my opinion this could have easily been re-done. For example they start between corners 2 and 3 turn in on the line between turns 4 and 6 so that would be corner 5. Then past corner 2 and 1 and round and then backwards 9-5 and turn in again on the new corner 5. Then it would hit a "follow through", and finally turn in on 2 to 3 and finish. The last 3 corners are really trying from the looks of it if they decided to do this.

I hope this isnt as confusing as i think it is. Here is a pic
y7rdm0peanp1qwvskh7d.png

Last edited:
yep, this looks much more interesting!
but they really need to fix/add more cameras on the track immediately!

Its really in need of a "follow through"

I feel the same way. There isn't a sense of speed. Although the dust picking up after the Ford GT was quite amazing.

I think they could film part of the track from a crane or something to show some progression through the corners rather than static shots.

Or maybe use a helicopter and a fast car to introduce the track?

Last edited:
OK .. we now know the track layout ... how long is it? Using Google Earth, I get it at 2.08 km ..... would anyone else like to confirm or dispute this?

dont forget the airport is still in use, and the runway they use for the main straight, is the main active runway, so they cannot put anything permanent there, no lines that sort of thing, and they have to clean up all the camera gear, and barricades when they have finished filming to allow normal aircraft operations to resume. i know because i fly out of that airport! its Camden airfield south west of sydney,

actually about a 2 months ago, the strip was closed for filming, and a aircraft in the area had a door come off inflight,, the pilot then declared an emergency, and proceeded to land on the runway in use for filming! unfortunately due to flying with no door, the wind noise meant he couldn't hear air traffic control instruction about the closed runway, and he proceeded to make a perfect emergency landing on the runway! and managed to avoid hitting all the barricades, and camera crews! apparently the stig was just turning off the strip as he landed!

i cant wait to see if they include any of that drama in an episode!!

though the practice of closing the main runway at an active aerodrome has pissed off quite a few in the aviation community here..

especially when there is a good closed down airport in St Marys, in Sydneys north. which has 3 sealed runways, and plenty of options for test tracks and tests. the old Schofields airport still exists even though it has been closed now for nearly 10 yrs!

Whoa, that would have been some drama! I wonder if they managed to get it on film. I wonder why they didn't use one of the closed down airports?

After seeing tonight's Power Lap of the Holden, I saw quite possibly the best bit of camera work for the test track power lap I've ever seen so far.

The camera shot of the double-left hander with the car going by was in my opinion, the best shot they've done yet.

Which got me thinking: Where should they position the 4 or so manned cameras (I counted 5 in the Ford GT Test, but to be safe, I've done four), and the several stationary ones?

Personally, these are the areas I'd do:

http://img359.imageshack.**/img359/1314/tgtrackcamskn8.jpg
(Transparent colours is where the cameras would track the car around, the lines are just a general guide of when they'd cut away, I'd guess.)

The two chicane shots can have a transition with an in-car shot and would show the speeds the car would go through, similar to the one of the tyres at the follow-through on the UK Track.

The cars going around the TGA track at Camden look slow ... this is partly from limitations on the camera positions ... but it is also because the track is really slow (or the Australian Stig is really slow .. or both) compared to the TGUK track at Dunsfold.

For comparison (using TGUK and TGA lap times and based on a track distance of 2.65 km for Dunsfold and 2.08 km for Camden) here are the average speeds (standing start) for some similar cars:
Car TGUK Speed TGA Speed (km/hr)
  1. Nissan R35 GT-R 119.7 107.8
  2. Ford GT 116.5 108.8
  3. Audi R8 113.0 104.2 (w)
  4. Holden 105.9 (Monaro) 103.2 (W427)
  5. BMW 1-series 103.8 (130i) 100.0 (135i)
The GT-R was 11% faster at Dunsfold than Camden, the Ford GT was 7% faster at Dunsfold (and the GT tested at Camden was way more powerful) and lesser cars (Monaro and BMW 130i) were faster at Dunsfold than the HSV W427 and BMW 135i were respectively at Camden.

Last edited: