Mass Effect 2

I still can't preload... Is this automatic or is there an option I'm not seeing?

I've seen the IGN review and it seems that ME2 references its predecessor a lot, I haven't played ME1 at all. Does it make sense to go back and play through the story missions of ME1 or should I just go to ME2 straight away?

Last edited:
^uh, my bad, fixed now :D.

just visited my local gamestation store just to double check my order (yes, i'm that paranoid) unfortunately as it turns out my gamestation store isn't doing the special edition set that i had pre-ordered. i pre-ordered it last month and asked them if they were doing the special edition to which i was told yes. Now as it turns out they're only doing the regular version. So after visiting my Game store i'm told "yes we are stocking the special edition but you can't pre-order it because its too close to the release date."
So come this friday i'm going to have to try my luck, get there early enough and hope they've got a few on the side to sell. Either way i'll end up with a copy of the game, just maybe not the version of the game i initially wanted.

^Nope, i'm getting my version on the Xbox 360. Its not the sort of game i'd play on my PC.

This concerns the minigames/sidequests:

I. hate. planet. scanning. I understand that they had to make it more "interactive", but there are just too many planets to "probe away" at. Seriously, whoever thought this was a good idea at Bioware needs to get their head checked. Plus when you run out of probes you have to go back to the Omega system to buy more, which is the only place I have found so far with a fuel depot. Is this seriously part of Bioware's new RPG vision?

I think my next least favorite one is where you have to match the text to complete the code. My eyes take enough of a beating playing the game without me straining to play "picture game".

On another note, some of the sidequests/assignments, while not the same derivative of each other as in the first game, are notoriously short. As in, 5-10 minutes. Hopefully they'll get better down the line.

I quite like the hacking/bypassing mini-games and the planet scanning. Tedious, sure, but it helps make me feel a part of the story.

Story-line spoiler ahead.

Did anyone else get a sad feeling at the Normandy crash site?

^Nope, i'm getting my version on the Xbox 360. Its not the sort of game i'd play on my PC.
It's a third person SHOOTER. It's damn right inefficient not to play it with a mouse. That's like driving with your knees and eyebrows.

just visited my local gamestation store just to double check my order (yes, i'm that paranoid) unfortunately as it turns out my gamestation store isn't doing the special edition set that i had pre-ordered. i pre-ordered it last month and asked them if they were doing the special edition to which i was told yes. Now as it turns out they're only doing the regular version. So after visiting my Game store i'm told "yes we are stocking the special edition but you can't pre-order it because its too close to the release date."
So come this friday i'm going to have to try my luck, get there early enough and hope they've got a few on the side to sell. Either way i'll end up with a copy of the game, just maybe not the version of the game i initially wanted.

Sucks you don't have GameStop. Their preorders are guaranteed.

I would have loved the special edition but really, most of that stuff will be available for purchase separately. If I happen across one at the store today I'll grab it, but otherwise I'm not gonna be fussed about getting the regular copy.

Sucks you don't have GameStop. Their preorders are guaranteed.

I would have loved the special edition but really, most of that stuff will be available for purchase separately. If I happen across one at the store today I'll grab it, but otherwise I'm not gonna be fussed about getting the regular copy.

i'm not entirely annoyed with it, i had just settled on getting the special edition. mostly because i'm a purist and i've got the limited edition tin of the first game and would have preferred the collector's edition tin of ME2 to go with it (yes, i am that much of a nerd about this game).
At the end of the day, i'll still have the game and because of MS goof yesterday i'll still have loads of features to go with it. As far as things go, it could have been a lot worse and have no game at all.

Im thinking about picking it up. Will I need all the backstory from MS1 to be able to understand whats going on?

I honestly don't know about the story of ME2 since i'm avoiding everthing that gives plot spoilers of the game. However i would say that while its possible to play the game straight off, things will be much easier to understand if you had played the first game and familiar with many of the characters.

also for those interested. the game soundtrack is now available.

Last edited:
It's a third person SHOOTER. It's damn right inefficient not to play it with a mouse. That's like driving with your knees and eyebrows.

+1 too.

I played ME1 in my Xbox360 and the aiming was so slow I decided to play ME2 in my and is SO much different! Even if it means I cannot upload my character's abilities and level into ME2.

Even if it means I cannot upload my character's abilities and level into ME2.

i was under the impression that abilities and level aren't carried over into ME2 and its only how the game and the choices made that are carried over into the new game.

i was under the impression that abilities and level aren't carried over into ME2 and its only how the game and the choices made that are carried over into the new game.

Oooops!! Ok thanks ;)

Then if it is that way it seems I chose well in ME1 as almost everything (except one thing) happened just as ME2 says it did. :p

I been playing for around 2 hours and it's probably because I played ME1 so much (went through it 4 times) but everything they changed pisses me off.

The whole scanner thingy they've placed on planets is just tedious and time consuming, it will seriously hurt the re playability of this game. The combat system is just simply worse with ammo instead of heat, it shouldn't be something to worry about.

As for story line, I'm pretty early in the game but this new race that suddenly popped up to be your archenemy just doesn't feel right with the galaxy that was built in the first one

Im thinking about picking it up. Will I need all the backstory from MS1 to be able to understand whats going on?

Who cares? Get the first one anyway. It's a really phenomenal game and you can get used copies unbelievably cheap now.

Plus, even if you can play the sequel without playing the first, I'm sure it's a richer experience to play both in sequence.

Re: Mass Effect 2

I been playing for around 2 hours and it's probably because I played ME1 so much (went through it 4 times) but everything they changed pisses me off.

The whole scanner thingy they've placed on planets is just tedious and time consuming, it will seriously hurt the re playability of this game. The combat system is just simply worse with ammo instead of heat, it shouldn't be something to worry about.

Its not so much that its repetitive but in order to upgrade your ship and gear the game requires you to scan/mine for minerals. that's what makes it tedious.

Heh, make sure you do that planet stuff.. spoiler below due to weapons:
Get the M-920 Cain. DO IT WHEN YOU CAN. Its a motherfuckin NUKE LAUNCHER. 1-hit KO on major bosses, including surrounding enemies.