Matt2k's ?500 Banger Watch Graveyard

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Cross post to the 2016 UK roadtrip planning thread, but as to not cram it full of crap I've started this for me to post the random heaps I find while skimming the internet for suitable bangers. You will then tell me I'm insane, and as such lets start with an old Jag:

1994 XJ6 Gold.

media

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508186160091?page=1&engine-size-cars=3l_to_3-9l&radius=1500&postcode=le167el&sort=pricedesc&price-to=500&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&logcode=p

Like it, or lump it?

So, you like owning a car where you have no idea what anything is doing because the dashboard is dead, that you can't put a drink in the cupholder because it will short out most of the rest of the car, and that you probably can't get into because the door handles are all broken off? All common and not well-resolved issues with the XJ40.

Last edited:
Well being the cynic that I am I would be a little suspicious at the lack of interior photos but other than that looks good. Spectre is the man to ask about Jags.

Spectre? Here boy! :whistle:

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd!

Well being the cynic that I am I would be a little suspicious at the lack of interior photos but other than that looks good. Spectre is the man to ask about Jags.

Spectre? Here boy! :whistle:

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd!

You are slow, like dog - not fast like cat. :mrgreen:

Edit: The choice of a Jag isn't bad, it's just you chose the wrong model of Jag. A 94 XJS would be a better choice.

Last edited:
So, you like owning a car where you have no idea what anything is doing because the dashboard is dead, that you can't put a drink in the cupholder because it will short out most of the rest of the car, and that you probably can't get into because the door handles are all broken off? All common and not well-resolved issues with the XJ40.

This is the exact reason I created this thread, it's so easy to get yourself in the shit with cheap cars and a lack of knowledge. I know enough about that.

I was looking at V8 Lexi last year, would a pre-95 LS400 be a better bet? Did they make the Soarer before 95?

Last edited:
This is the exact reason I created this thread, it's so easy to get yourself in the shit with cheap cars and a lack of knowledge. I know enough about that.

I was looking at V8 Lexi last year, would a pre-95 LS400 be a better bet? Did they make the Soarer before 95?

The LS400 was made from 90-00 in four 'series'. The 90-92 have damn tiny brakes and the 90 uses even smaller single piston calipers. Here's where you can see the year to year changes: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Because this is always the answer...

Plus it's close by and it's green. :mrgreen:

In the pictures, it also shows visible signs of ricing/carbaging. Caveat emptor.

Why does the Mazda have a moustache? Definitely carbaged, maybe easy to fix. Would definitely consider at that price.

It's a shame the original tan leather seats are gone and replaced by basic level cloth ones.

Woo flatbed! :lol: I couldn't see that at work or on my phone for some reason.

93-94 LS400 seems like a solid choice if I can find one cheap, not sure I actually want another V8 though. :lol:

Edit: That Rover. :rofl:

Last edited:
AWD Subaru with change to spare, anyone?

$_86.JPG

Linky

Sweet KA

$_86.JPG

Linky

Rover 400

$_86.JPG

Linky

Leathered SAAB 93

$_86.JPG

Linky

10 month MOT Hyundai Coupe

$_86.JPG

Linky

FTO Auto... they're all autos, well 99%.

$_86.JPG

Linky

Shagged bodywork Rover 75 wagon

$_86.JPG

Linky

Overbudget, but not unreasonable ABARTH!!!!... bodykitted Seicento Sporting.

$_86.JPG

Linky

I shall be spamming this thread.

I'm not fooled by that Swift in disguise. :p

I wouldn't touch a Rover 400 with someone else's barge pole. Ka's don't seem substantial enough to feel safe. The Hyundai and the FTO look good but have fun-police FWD. The Rover 75 would be good but the interior is terrible. The Fiat is cool, probably too good for being a roadtrip beater. :D

I'm not fooled by that Swift in disguise. :p

I wouldn't touch a Rover 400 with someone else's barge pole. Ka's don't seem substantial enough to feel safe. The Hyundai and the FTO look good but have fun-police FWD. The Rover 75 would be good but the interior is terrible. The Fiat is cool, probably too good for being a roadtrip beater. :D

Some Rover 400's have the Honda engine, they're Civics underneath. Seicentos are less safe than a KA and are all about sub 700 now... I keep looking at them online.