May have found a rare gem

geniusless

Car(s)
1963 Cadillac sixty-two series, 78' Kawasaki KZ400
Hey gang, new to the site, HI! Thought I might break things in a bit here with a photo of this little POTENTIAL gem. Best I can tell it's a 68 Honda Benly cl50, which wasn't released in USA? but I am no pro. She's pretty rusty and froze up, haven't rebuilt a bike previously but interested in giving this one a go if it's an valued import. I know i know, pic something easier, right... OOps I can't post pictures...

I believe the Benly was imported to the US. I remember reading a column by Peter Egan in Cycle World where he talked about his experiences riding a Benly in college.

Still though, I think the number of surviving Benlys by this time has to be pretty low.

I believe one of our members, KaJun, used to ride a Benly when he was stationed in Okinawa. He's waiting to be deployed, but if he's still around he might have to tips for you.

Oh, and welcome to Final Gear! :wave:

Last edited:
They're not terribly valuable in the US. There's a small cult following for them but the real desirable models from that era are the Dreams and Superhawks.

Need to see pictures first before we can tell what it is, a lot of people have odd ideas of what name attaches to what Honda bike. Most Benly models were imported to the US.

I used to have that same bike, a Honda CL50 Benly. Here's my thread about it. The first thing I will say about it is that it's painfully slow. 40mph is about all it's good for on flat ground, which is good because anything above that is simply terrifying. That speed was good enough in Okinawa where the highest speed limit was 45 but it would be downright terrifying riding it in the states. For that very reason I don't think it will be very valuable in the states but it may have some value to you as a fun car show/cruise in vehicle. A lot of components are shared with the Cub so finding spare parts should be fairly easy.