Mazda Rx-8

Car looks hella nice! Love those wheels over red. How much oil does that thing drink?

you need a no piston sticker! Looks great. Wheels really suit it.

You can't see it very well, but in the 3rd picture, I have my "got rotarty? sticker on there ^^ lol

Car looks hella nice! Love those wheels over red. How much oil does that thing drink?

thx mate, it drinks a looot. Oil is basically blood for any rotary engine, especially renesis. Rotaries use oil not only for lubrication but for cooling as well. Thats why it needs to be changed frequently. Rx8 also has 2 oil cooler kits so you need to empty those too when changing oil. I change oil every 2000miles and I do a bit of pre-mixing as well. Got my oil change scheduled for this monday :D

EDIT:

Also, I think I ve been watching too much best motoring lately. I had a dream today that, keiichi tsuchiya allowed me to use his FD3S on tsukuba circuit :D lol

Last edited:
thx mate, it drinks a looot. Oil is basically blood for any rotary engine, especially renesis. Rotaries use oil not only for lubrication but for cooling as well. Thats why it needs to be changed frequently.

All internal combustion engines use oil for cooling. Oil, water, and fuel are all used to cool modern engines (air cooled engined don't use water).

In order to lubricate the rotors some oil must be in the combustion chamber, unlike with a piston engine. This results in some oil being burned off along with the fuel.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't be burning a LOT of oil. A quart per 3,000 miles is usually about right.

Rx8 also has 2 oil cooler kits so you need to empty those too when changing oil. I change oil every 2000miles and I do a bit of pre-mixing as well. Got my oil change scheduled for this monday :D

I didn't notice this. Shouldn't all the oil drain into the sump? Are you having the oil cooler flushed every change? And changing at 2000 miles?

I think you are being fleeced.

I didn't notice this. Shouldn't all the oil drain into the sump? Are you having the oil cooler flushed every change? And changing at 2000 miles?

I think you are being fleeced.

It should be drained and flushed, otherwise you re only changing the oil in about 50%. Whenever its warm outside I tend to do all my oil changes but now since the temp is below freezing I have to go to a mazda dealership. lol. No one else seems to empty those while changing oil :D you don't need to change it every 2000 miles. The manual says it should be done every 3000miles. Since I do a lot of track days, I tend to change it a lot quicker and I do pre-mixing as well.

Last edited:
It should be drained and flushed, otherwise you re only changing the oil in about 50%. Whenever its warm outside I tend to do all my oil changes but now since the temp is below freezing I have to go to a mazda dealership. lol. No one else seems to empty those while changing oil :D you don't need to change it every 2000 miles. The manual says it should be done every 3000miles. Since I do a lot of track days, I tend to change it a lot quicker and I do pre-mixing as well.

50% seems pretty high.

Anyhow if you are tracking it the every 2k and premixing makes sense.

I'm definitely going to have to get a "got oil" sticker. For very different reasons.
Nice car!

Seriously considering black rims if I ever get around to upgrading. Are those 18s or 20s? They look great.

Car looks nice :) Nicely set up, too.

And as they say in the rotary community: A redline a day keeps the mechanic away!