Mazda2 vs. Ford Fiesta

If I were you, I'd get the Mazda2 just because I hate the Fiesta's center console. Just trying to imagine having to drive it and look at the cellphone-like thing makes me puke inside my mouth. Also, the Mazda2 looks sportier on the outside and drives better.

If I were you, I'd get the Mazda2 just because I hate the Fiesta's center console. Just trying to imagine having to drive it and look at the cellphone-like thing makes me puke inside my mouth. Also, the Mazda2 looks sportier on the outside and drives better.
Having now sat inside one, I can tell you that the center console and associated system is pretty terrible. The screen feels way too small and starting giving me a Virtual Boy-style headache after staring at it for a while, not to mention the clunky buttons. I also spent 10 minutes trying to get the SYNC system to play music from my phone over Bluetooth, ultimately to no avail.

The push-button start also took several minutes to work properly, for whatever reason, which is annoying when it's 90 degrees outside. The car also feels bigger than it really is, which is positive and negative. Overall, though, it was a pretty negative first experience with the car. I may give it another shot, but even if it's drive is somehow better than the lighter 2, it still has a huge mountain to climb.

Can someone savvy find a concrete update on the Mazda production situation? I see all sorts of articles from March, but the only recent news I see is that they said recovery is "faster than expected" and they'll be profitable this year.

When I test drove the fiesta the salesman tried to use the voice command thing and couldn't get it to work :lol: I liked it other than the dashboard, but yeah that would be a quite valid deal breaker. It was rather obnoxious.

Mazda

I have to admit, I didn't actually get to drive it. I spent fifteen minutes trying to get it to where I could really enjoy it... and then I found I was boxed into the side parking lot it was on when I did get fed up and set off. When I say it was a negative experience, I mean it was a really negative experience, and that's why I haven't completely written off yet.

Some deity doesn't want me to drive a Fiesta.

Can't it be both? I honestly can't decide. I think I like the 2's looks slightly better, but the Fiesta seems to come better equipped. Tough call, gun to my head I'd go with the 2, barely.

Has anyone mentioned the part where the 2 has drum brakes in the rear?

Interesting you fight with the blue tooth/sync, I tried it at the la auto show and had it working in a minute.

Last edited:

Interesting you fight with the blue tooth/sync, I tried it at the la auto show and had it working in a minute.
I'm not entirely put off by rear drums. I find my ex's Fit a hoot to drive (which is why it's not in the running), and it has rear drums.

And I got my phone paired just fine, it was the "music with blue teeth" part that stumped me... and as I'm just now finding out, that's because SYNC doesn't actually support bluetooth music; you still have to use the USB cable. That's totally worthless, because I can't believe they spent all that effort to make it interface so much with a phone over BT, but neglect to let you play music with it.

The Fiesta may have just been terminally iDrive'd. It may be an excellent drive, but the in-car computer is irreplaceable garbage.

Last edited:
It's a shame the latest Sync seems to be such a step back from the first gen...people seemed to generally like the first version, but this latest version is pretty universally panned.

I'm not entirely put off by rear drums. I find my ex's Fit a hoot to drive (which is why it's not in the running), and it has rear drums.

And I got my phone paired just fine, it was the "music with blue teeth" part that stumped me... and as I'm just now finding out, that's because SYNC doesn't actually support bluetooth music; you still have to use the USB cable. That's totally worthless, because I can't believe they spent all that effort to make it interface so much with a phone over BT, but neglect to let you play music with it.

The Fiesta may have just been terminally iDrive'd. It may be an excellent drive, but the in-car computer is irreplaceable garbage.

IIRC Sync's capabilities vary by car. I suspect Fiesta's is hampered a bit due to the fact that in Europe until just recently, they used a entirely different Infotanement/in car technology system dubbed FordConvers+. Much like Onstar on some of GM's vehicles that came from the other side of the pond, Sync has reduced functionality i suspect on the Fiesta.

It's a shame the latest Sync seems to be such a step back from the first gen...people seemed to generally like the first version, but this latest version is pretty universally panned.

The biggest issue I think is MyFord Touch. The system is far too underpowered for the fancy effects and graphics they're trying to use. There's a ton of lag. The fact that they got rid of all the other knobs and buttons for touch sensitive shit is even worse. Chrysler's UConnect Touch system is vastly superior. It's blazingly fast, the on screen graphics aren't overly fancy, and there's still redundant knobs and buttons.

For a car that light it isn't a problem unless he plans on tracking it.

I don't know if the trims are different there, but here, this is a base Mazda2's interior:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/06/21/mazda2-6-big.jpg

Meanwhile, this is the Fiesta's interior:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/06/21/Fiesta-cl-interior.jpg

The Mazda looks dull and empty, not to mention it feels tinny.

I've already said that everyone has a Mazda2 where I live. This does change my opinion of them, but I'm not a big fan of Japanese small cars anyway. I only really like the Swift, which if it was sold in the US I'd recommend in an instant.

Mazda2 Touring:
MZD2_int_0040_0.preview.jpg

And I agree, I'd prefer discs over drums, but I can live with them.