McLaren to tackle Bathurst?

...It'd be kinda boring going to an event like that on my own I reckon, but I dont know anyone around where I live who's interested in that sort of thing and would be willing to come with me...

Well, you can always go and see an F1 car drive around Bathurst another time, I guess. There'll be plenty of other opportunities. :p

Anyone found any live streams on this??? Button just did a 1.48 according to google live updates (twitter)
Craig Lowndes goes 1.49 around Mt Panorama in F1.

[video=youtube;Ab4tj-yTwEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab4tj-yTwEE[/video]

Last edited:
The lap times obviously won't mean anything, as obviously all they are doing is just "driving/crusing" the car round the lap.

I'll wait for the onboard drive video.

The lap times obviously won't mean anything, as obviously all they are doing is just "driving/crusing" the car round the lap.

Button still set a 1:48 by my stopwatch. Lowndes I think did a 1:49. I watched from the last corner, and the drivers were certainly giving it some!

they weren't flat out but they weren't messing around either...that was seriously quick...
keen to see a full lap video especially down the esses.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Button still set a 1:48 by my stopwatch. Lowndes I think did a 1:49. I watched from the last corner, and the drivers were certainly giving it some!

I would estimate that an F1 car would be 30 seconds faster around bathurst than a v8 supercar (going by the silverstone times between f1 and gt2).

^ The F1s are ~30s/lap quicker around Albert Park than the V8 Supercars too.

Yeah, probably with the whole day to test, a setup that better suits the track, and a driver with enough balls and stupidity to push 100% between the concrete barriers (a Robert Kubica or a young Jacques Villeneuve) I'm sure that time would come down a lot.

Lowndes got surprisingly close, but then he knows the track very well and even said driving the F1 car was pretty easy up to a point (you know, the old last 5% always the hardest to gain). Someone said they were only driving the McLaren to within 85% of its limits around the track.

He said he was told to go enjoy himself but to bring the car back in one piece. Obviously neither of them were pushing it too hard. I think 30 seconds off the V8s is a realistic aim.
But as Button said, Bathurst is a bit bumpy.

He said he was told to go enjoy himself but to bring the car back in one piece.

i think i'ld jump 10m in the air when they would say that to me :lol:

Bathurst is a bit bumpy.

I guess that, not unlike on the Nordschleife demo runs a few years ago, the F1 cars has to be set up with a lot more ground clearance than on a "normal" track, severely reducing the amount of downforce generated by the car's floor.

This looks like the official footage.

[video=youtube;vLCVk5J-f-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLCVk5J-f-4[/video]

Last edited: