Meanwhile, Down Under (The Australian Thread)

Now that's just taking Nazi cosplay a goose step too far.

... the thing is, the saying is "I'd give and arm, leg and a left testicle for....

Woman finds red-bellied black snake hiding in pocket of recliner chair

A woman had a rude awakening while relaxing at home on a property just outside Bega.

?I was sitting in my recliner on Tuesday morning looking for my glasses and I reached down to a side pocket and there was something cold and slimy in there,? a shocked Joyce Parbery said.

?I jumped up and couldn?t speak.?

Mr Parbery?s husband Herb checked the chair pocket and discovered a black snake curled up inside.

?It took over an hour to get it out, we had to drag the chair outside, put it upside down and cut the chair open so it could escape,? she said.

Mr Parbery successfully released the snake unharmed, but the unexpected visitor has left his wife a little shaken.

?I won?t sit on that chair again,? she said with a smile.

?Now every time I open something I think a snake is going to jump out at me.

?My friends reckon it could?ve been there for months.

?I can?t believe I was sitting there the whole time and had a snake cuddled up to me.?

Source: Illawarra Mercury

I reallllllly want to try a Halal Snack Pack.

ABC?s The Chaser program gifts Senator David Leyonhjelm with his own ?wicked campaign van? following the politician?s defence of a company who chose to write offensive slogans on their rental campervans. Leyonhjelm branded those who objected ?authoritarians disguised as hippies or feminists? and said anyone who didn?t see the funny side was a ?wowser? ? but he seems less than impressed with his own vehicle

About to walk to my old school to go vote. Not a single post-voting sausage sizzle anywhere in my local area. It's bloody un-Australian.

Edit: Got half way to my old school, only to find out that it's not open this election. Last time I voted online. Not an option this time. FFS.
I don't want any of them in power anyway. So I should find a way that my preferences cancel each other out.:lol:

Last edited:
Oh, okay. I have trouble making it through a simple doner kebab these days. Add chips to the situation and I'd be totally screwed. :lol:

About to walk to my old school to go vote. Not a single post-voting sausage sizzle anywhere in my local area. It's bloody un-Australian.

snagvote and sausage sizzle were trending high than the election....

The first of Australia's second generation of polymer banknotes hit the streets last week. Polymer banknotes were invented by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) back in the 80's at the request of the Reserve Bank of Australia. To test their viability, a polymer $10 note was released in 1988 to commemorate the settlement of Sydney 200 years earlier. When it proved successful, the Reserve Bank went ahead with replacing all of our paper banknotes with polymer ones between 1992 and 1996. The polymer notes are cheaper to make, last longer, are much harder to counterfeit and aren't as easily damaged. The advanced security features possible with polymer notes helped to make the Australia dollar is one of the least counterfeited currencies in the world. Not content to rest on their laurels, the Reserve bank is now replacing them with a new generation of polymer notes.

When the first image of the new fiver was released it looked terrible, with a blue section running down the middle of the note that really didn't match its colour scheme. But as it turns out, that section is actually transparent and the picture was just taken with the note sitting on a blue surface. It actually looks like this-

Cf5l38BWIAA2GEt.jpg

The first generation polymer notes featured a clear window, but nothing that striking.

[video=youtube;-Q761INgLEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q761INgLEw[/video]

I'm more impressed because I think that video was full CGI. Nice banknote, we've got plastic/polymer ones as well.

Aussies. I'm thinking about coming down for the MotoGP race in October next year. Got a buddy in Melbourne who rents a house down there for the weekend and he said my housing in Melbourne would be covered, which is awesome. However, I also wanna do some proper bogan stuff like a croc tour so I can get the maximum Aussie experience. Port Douglas and Cairns were suggested.

I'll probably do a week and a half or so in Oz before Ambiening my way back to TX. Obviously, I want to meet you lot and any other cool suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Cairns is full of zoos, most of which have crocodile shows. Hartley's has the best one. If you want a crocodile boat tour you are probably better off going to the Northern Territory. But if you go to Cairns you can also see the Great Barrier Reef or take a drive north to the Daintree Rainforest. You'll have to fly from Melbourne to Cairns. It would take about three or four days to drive it.

BTW, October is part of "stinger season" in the top end, so if you go swimming in the ocean, you would need to be covered up so that a jellyfish doesn't kill you.

Last edited:
QLD is also the only place that cuddling a koala is allowed by anyone other than a zookeeper/vet. I believe the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary still offers photo ops.