Melbourne Meetup MkII - 4th of May > Gippsland

hmm, im still deciding, I will be having trouble keeping up with my lancer.
or else i might go in andy's forester...

lol.. Eddy, beetle has the same Lancer as you, but in White with some intake and exhaust mods... haha, might even be faster :p
drnick, you have to bring your foz too, haha... be nice to see if I can keep up with the XT's (Are you on GTrydaz by any chance?)

hmm, im still deciding, I will be having trouble keeping up with my lancer.
or else i might go in andy's forester...

Guys don't worry too much about keeping up. Everyone is more than welcome! On the last cruise we had cars from brand new Civic Type R and Mazda 3 MPS through to a Toyota Camry, a Triton and an early '90s 323.

This is John's group shot from last time, as you can see, a wide and varied collection of metal!
210437789_9RwNv-XL.jpg

THe people in the faster cars need to stick within the speed limits anyway, the cruise is entirely on public roads. The day is more about the social aspect, to get together and meet the people from the forums and enjoy our cars at the same time.

I'll put u down as in beeetle ;)

Last edited:
yea alright, i'll come
just want to know what time we get back and total distance of the cruise?

It depends on whether you decide to go up Mt Donna Buang or not, but we should be getting back somewhere between 5 and 7. Just depends on how we pace it, how long we take for lunch etc...

Hey,

The drive sounds good, like the route. Might come with brother in his car (R33 gtst) rather than mine tho. Will confirm if we decide to go.

Hey all,

Yeah, any of the pubs in town should be fine. I have not been out in Warragul for a meal for a bit! (I live in Newborough)

andyhui01 - Yeah on GTrydaz, not as active as I used to be however. I am drnick on there, but I am mainly on Performance Forums and wrx.com.au. My XT is not as quick as I would want it to be, having a kid put the brakes on any more mods!

hey i knew i knew your avatar from somewhere drnick! I'm flyingfridge over on wrx.com.au as well ;)

If you're in the 'might be in', please confirm by the end of the weekend then I'll know how many to make the lunch booking for!

drnick, if you'd like to join in half way around the route, just say where and when and I'll make sure to add a stop to meet up ;)

:D I'm posting over there a bit less now that I've swapped the rex for a skyline, but still reading it as much as i can

Im, coming possible +1 not sure, then got 2 - 3 mates coming, in a BA, EB/ED, WRX possibly EA turbo and also BFII Typhoon if i can get a hold of him...

I went out for a preview drive (looping in the other direction) last weekend to confirm a few things so here are a few brief "mental" notes:

The drive along the Monash Freeway is still a little slow in the work sections. I also saw a traffic patrol car loitering at the end of one of the roadwork sections looking for people doing 80+. After eastlink the freeway opens up and runs on the Hallam and the new Pakenham bypass - the benefit of which is cheapened by the use of awful chipmix on the roads.

Off at the Koo Wee Rup road exit and it's a quick blast down to Koo Wee Rup and the South Gippsland Hwy (now with the Pakenham bypass in place this, I reckon, is the best way to get to Phillip Island). Turning off at South Gippsland Hwy finds a road that is good running with some good cruising. After the Town of Loch the curves get a bit more pronounced.

If you use the Bena turnoff there is an (almost) disused section of Hwy on the other side of town - curvy and about 2k in length with only one residence right at the end - which could be interesting photographically.

Korumburra should allow us to find a coffee at a mid-morning timeslot. From here we turn north onto the Grand Ridge road section that leads us to Warragul. The road is twisty and in pretty good condition and lightly trafficked - the only thing to watch out for is the occasional slow farm ute. Along the way the are some pretty spectacular views and a few scenic rest spots.

The road north from Warragul to Neerim Junction is probably the fast cruise section of the trip with gentle flowing bends and plenty of straights. From Neerim there is the option to head up to Baw Baw (as an alternative to Donna Buang).

Heading west towards Yarra Junction the road is good - the highlight being the twisty section near Powelltown.

For my trip around the "loop" the time was around 4 hours - I did a few photo stops but no lunch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks john... prob. gives a better idea of what to expect. I would assume this cruise would be less about the twisties and more about the scenery and stuff. Hopefully we'll get some decent shots of all the cars on the freeway, something which we didn't get a chance to do the last time.

I just realized that this cruise is in 1.5 weeks time, time does go by pretty fast.. haha, have to get some of my mods in the car before the cruise :p

Cool, promotion on other sites. Pity the mx-5 guys have their GOR cruise. Oh well...

Oh well the MX-5 guys get to see the back of campervans all day! :D - we've all seen the caravan episode of TG

Is anyone out there bringing a (sensible) passenger that can drive my machine whilst I do some shooting on the move?

Oh well the MX-5 guys get to see the back of campervans all day! :D - we've all seen the caravan episode of TG

Is anyone out there bringing a (sensible) passenger that can drive my machine whilst I do some shooting on the move?

What are you up to fbc? ...not to name names or anything..... :|