Melling Hellcat to feature 1175hp V10

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
hellcat2.jpg

Autoblog said:
Melling Hellcat final design includes 1,175-hp quad-turbo V10

Thanks to an avid Autoblog reader, we're pleased to bring you pictures of the final prototype of the Melling Hellcat supercar that's being developed by famed British engine designer, Al Melling. We've reported on the Hellcat a couple times in the past, but the details surrounding this supercar have changed. As you can see, the final design is much more aggressive than the original prototype, and more fitting for a car setting its sights on the fastest production vehicles in the world. Just as the skin has been upgraded to compete on a world-class level, so has the engine, which was originally supposed to be a 700-horsepower, 6.0-liter V10. Knowing full well in these modern times of 600-hp Vipers and supercharged Blue Devils that a 700-hp V10 a world-class supercar does not make, Melling went back to the drawing board and did what he does best. The production Melling Hellcat will now come with a quad-turbo V10 producing a completely ridiculous 1,175 horsepower. That's well above the number of ponies the Bugatti Veyron produces, and it will be stuffed in a package that's considerably lighter. 0 to 60 is expected to occur in a 2.6-second blink of the eye, and terminal velocity will be 275 mph. Those are big numbers; we'll be eagerly anticipating some material evidence of those feats. Until then, enjoy the high-resolution gallery of pics taken by Mike, owner and operator of Maserati of Minneapolis and purveyor of its blog that broke the story.

Source:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/23/exclusive-melling-hellcat-final-design-includes-1-175-hp-quad-t/

Picture gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/melling-hellcat/

Wow, that's a total Viper Defender ripoff!

199x20Dodge20Viper20Defender20Conce.jpg

876Kw... Bloody hell, bye bye tyres.

As impressive as all this scrambling to the highest power figure is... I'm doubting the real-world performance, due to traction issues, and self-preservation insticts. It's insanity on a whole new level.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see an independent road test.

2.6 for 0-60? No way, unless it's AWD.

I think the Veyron is 2.5 with over 100 less bhp but I agree it needs 4wd to get that figure.

Wow, that's a total Viper Defender ripoff!

199x20Dodge20Viper20Defender20Conce.jpg

what was the name of the show that was like knight rider but with this car and little flying things that came out and could attack and shit. Kinda cool had some things that would become reality and the invisibility thing before bond.

It was creatively called "VIPER." The car transformed from a red Viper into the bullet-proof, fire resistant "Defender" in the picture. It was closer to the batmobile, since the car didn't talk like KITT. If I remember right the panels over the legpipes popped out to reveal machine guns, missile launchers, grappling hook launchers, or an EMP device that shot a little ball of energy that disabled fleeing cars. A little UAV launched out of the rear deck, the tires would magically turn into offroad wheels and it could even turn into a hovercraft to float over water.

But enough about that crap show, this does look like an interesting design, but I question it's aerodynamics at 275 MPH. It is certainly smooth enough, but the front end is rather blunt. Also I worry about handling, I don't see a rear wing.

275? Theory. If Bugatti can't find tyres to safely go over 252 neither can this.

275? Theory. If Bugatti can't find tyres to safely go over 252 neither can this.

Ah, but you forget this has an advantage over the Bugatti, whereas the Bugatti is real and therefore bound by the laws of physics this car is a work of fiction and therefore doesn't!

Its all just talk atm, unless my some miracle these have technology more advanced than the VW group then its never going to reach anywhere near the claimed figures...if it ever actually gets a far as being sold to a paying customer...

And even if it is sold... Even places like Nardo would start to feel a bit tight at that speed 0_o

it?s british......so when you ever get it actually running, and drive like 240mph, suddenly the power steering and brake assistant will die and the wipers will go on.......

Remember that the Veyron weighs in at almost 2 tonnes, this will likely be a little more than half of that. And that will put much less stress on the tires. The street legal Dauer 962 from 1994 was also able to do 250 mph+ on it's tires, and that weighed less than a tonne.

So why is a British car named after a famous American Naval Plane.

Gruman Hellcat anyone?

275 mph... I'll believe it when I see it...

275 mph... I'll believe it when I see it...

Remember that the Veyron weighs in at almost 2 tonnes, this will likely be a little more than half of that. And that will put much less stress on the tires. The street legal Dauer 962 from 1994 was also able to do 250 mph+ on it's tires, and that weighed less than a tonne.

The tires on the Bugatti Veyron themselves cannot handle 253 mph for more than 15 minutes, and it has nothing to do with the weight of the Veyron. It's all about centrifugal force, after 15 minutes the outward force being placed on the tires at 253 mph has caused so much stress on the tires, from causing them to stretch outward, that they literally rip and shred apart. That is what happened with the jet car that Richard Hammond from Top Gear was driving. The right front tire shredded because the stress was too great for it to withstand.

While it is nice to think that car will do 275 mph, I don't think we'll ever actually see it happen. Not unless they manage to get a tire company to figure out how to make tires that can handle 275 mph. Remember that Bugatti had to have tires specifically designed for the Veyron.

And even still, I'll bet the Veyron is built better, and will survive longer. After all, VW has been building cars for much longer than Melling.

Last edited: