Melling Hellcat

matt_shaw

Just another .ca?
This car is going to be awesome! WATCH THE VIDEO Melling is a freaking genius!
AL Melling says it?s been described as the British Ferrari ? but it?s much more than that.

It?s the car that will put Rochdale back on the motoring map, nearly 50 years after the town?s other famous racer, the Rochdale Olympic, first made its debut.

The 63-year-old engine designer?s V10 Hellcat is the pinnacle of a lifelong association with fast cars and motorbikes.

Mr Melling?s engines have helped power cars from Jaguars to Ferraris and Lamborghinis to podium success.

"It?s the climax of my career, the car I?ve been working towards all my life," he said.

The car, the prototype of which is now in its final production stage in Mr Melling?s Rochdale factory, is a mean machine.

Capable of reaching speeds in excess of 200 mph, it is powered by a 700bhp 6.0 litre engine.

It takes just 2.8 seconds to get to 60 mph.

It?s a classic front-engined, rear-drive coupe with a carbonfibre monocoque body and chassis, with all independent wishbone suspension.

And what?s more it weighs only 1,220 kg.

At ?100,000, it doesn?t come cheap.

But it?s been described by many motoring experts as the Rochdale supercar itching to take on Aston Martin and the others.

Instead of having a luxury salon interior, as with so many performance coupes, the cabin will be race-bred with deep bucket seats, four-point harnesses and carbonfibre panels as trim.

Royton-born Mr Melling is planning to build four cars a month in his factory, now being fitted with special production bays.

He?s also signed a deal with Detroit based Rouche ? part of the Ford company ? which will build 100 cars a month.

In Britain the Hellcat will be sold through one expert dealer.

Mr Melling will also take on an extra 25 to 30 staff at his Rochdale factory to cope with full-time production, which begins in November.

Because it?s been designed and will be built in Rochdale, Mr Melling has high hopes it will put the town on the motoring manufacturing map.

He hopes the car will catapult the town to classy vehicle fame in the way that Cosworth is associated with Northampton and Blackpool the TVR.

"Cars with my engines have been successful at the Le Mans 24-hour race on six occasions.

"But it?s always been my wish to go back to France with my own car and my own engine.

"And next year I?m going to do just that with the Hellcat.

"The car will be launched at next year?s Motor Show at the NEC."

He?s had 10 orders already and requests by such eminent motoring writers as Jeremy Clarkson to test drive the Hellcat.

:bangin:

Damnit! You beat me to it lol! I just watched the clip and saw the article and was about to post it here. Someone has been reading Autoblog! 8)

I cant think of a car TG has tested, aside for maybe the ZondaF or the Atom that could beat a 2.8 0-60, thats just INSANITY :woot:

I dont even think I could do that on my Yamaha R6 or even an R1 with good launch.

You notice some styling "cues" from other cars? Front looks crazy like a TVR, The roof/window line reminds me of the Koenigsegg and the back looked a bit like an Elise/Exige.

I agree, Britian doesn't have enough small sports car manufacturers. Aside from Invicta, Ascari, Marcos, Bristol, TVR, Lotus, Morgan, Noble, Ultima, bits of Jensen, and hell, even Caterham, Ariel, and Westfield, that is.

I kid. But this looks to be awesome, and with Al Melling's credentials (even though he looks like Father Jack :lol:), it should be even more so.

I see a bit of the new Nissan GT-R likeness in the Hellcat's appearance, but it's late and my contacts are drying up.

Cool car with an awesome story behind it, but anyone else think it sounds awful??

No Boss said:
I see a bit of the new Nissan GT-R likeness in the Hellcat's appearance, but it's late and my contacts are drying up.

Cool car with an awesome story behind it, but anyone else think it sounds awful??

No, I think you're quite right with that assessment. And for some reason, most V10 engines really don't sound all that good - not as bad as I5s, though. Seeing as a V10 could be thought of as two I5s joined together, there's probably something to it.

And did the first 30 seconds of that video seem like a blatant TG or FG ripoff to anyone else?

i think the sound is the best about it...so raw and terrifying...don't like the looks though. :)

the front kinda looks like the back of the 350Z

is the motor in that proto a v10?? sounds incredible!! but not a sound of a v10

Video doesn?t work for me :?

I see a bit of GT-R, 350Z and Jaguar E-type in it.. mostly E-type in overall shape, 350Z in the rear and GT-R proto in the roofline. oh, and a front from Smart roadster! :roll: :lol:

MrChips said:
And did the first 30 seconds of that video seem like a blatant TG or FG ripoff to anyone else?
I thought that too. I think it was poor sound quality on the clip more than anything that ruined the sound of it. Have never liked the sound of V10's really though