Mercedes Benz refuses to help police.

I'm not Takumi

Car(s)
Toyota AE86 Corolla
So, if you're dead, and they got your car, the cops are really screwed. And MB doesn't come off very good in either case saying it's for privacy...

Something tells e that Mercedes will change their tune on this in short order. Bad press tends to do very bad things to companies like this, especially press that makes people feel unsafe!

Am I the only one thinking that this is good? I don't want my car to be tracked anywhere I go.

I'm with ya on that one!!!

I'm with Mercedes on this. It's not what the tracker is there for, it's there as a service to the car customer, and if they cave in this time police and courts will be quicker to ask for them to do it in the future when there's a bit less of a reason, until they barely need a reason at all.

Am I the only one thinking that this is good? I don't want my car to be tracked anywhere I go.

SHAME ON YOU!

Big Brother is teh win! I want to have cameras everywhere and be tracked WHEREEVER I GO!

Next we'll see mobile phones record the sound and video of our everyday life,
so the police can always track down what we did, and when we did it.

It's all good. I didn't know that Mercedes has tracking equipment in it's cars. We actually had to install an aftermarket GPS alarm on the ML, but Mercedes has nothing to do with it. Even though that system can shut the car down on demand, I don't think they would be allowed to do so without permission of the owner. But there are of course other contacts on our list...:cry:

SHAME ON YOU!

Big Brother is teh win! I want to have cameras everywhere and be tracked WHEREEVER I GO!

I installed cameras all over my house and wherever i go and send the tapes to the government every week.

Kudos to MB for protecting its customers but i dunno how this court order thing will turn out

What if you were in that situation? What if a G-class crashes into the back of your tiny little MX3 and then makes a quick getaway so he won't have to pay for it?

What if you were in that situation? What if a G-class crashes into the back of your tiny little MX3 and then makes a quick getaway so he won't have to pay for it?

That's a really good point.... I was with MB but yeah I agree

Also you don't have a choice with a court order, it isn't optional, it's an ORDER.

This will change in a hurry. Lacking a suspect the victim and his/her family now have cause to sue MB for a massive amount of money, and you know the court will go along with punitive damages because MB ignored a court-order.

Right or wrong, money talks.

It's all good. I didn't know that Mercedes has tracking equipment in it's cars. We actually had to install an aftermarket GPS alarm on the ML, but Mercedes has nothing to do with it. Even though that system can shut the car down on demand, I don't think they would be allowed to do so without permission of the owner. But there are of course other contacts on our list...:cry:

Well I know for S-Class with the Tele-Aid it can track your location, when i set it up they where able to tell where I was. Also when i was in my accident they where able to tell emergence service where i was.
I am with Merc on this one as an S Class owner, even with Court Order. Merc is just contesting the Court Order, and while my heart goes out to the people effect I believe police work used to work before GPS units to track.