Mercedes Benz refuses to help police.

Merc is just contesting the Court Order, and while my heart goes out to the people effect I believe police work used to work before GPS units to track.

Well, think about it from this context:

The SatNav readings is just one additional piece of info in the case; think about as a way to "Confirm" the car being in that area. The Police "allegedly" have the hard evidence, they just want the SatNav stuff to double check, because their an unbias piece of evidence.

I'm going to cautiously side with Mercedes on this one and say 'well done' for standing up for right to privacy.

For now, anyway.

I would be dead.

We also don't know the details of the case and I just think police has no right to access all kinds of data they want.

The Police are not making the request, they took their information to a Judge who determined they have cause - he, as a legal expert and the constitutionally appointed person to make the decision, decided that they have cause and issued a Court Order. It sounds to me like they followed the proper procedure.

I'm going to cautiously side with Mercedes on this one and say 'well done' for standing up for right to privacy.

For now, anyway.

Right to privacy? There is a time for your right to privacy but when you hit a person and run then that all goes out the window. Why should the police waste all of the man hours tracking this person down when MB can find him in about 5 seconds? It's just a complete waste of time. I could see if the police asked MB to continuously monitor all of their cars and hand out speeding tickets whenever someone speeds and MB refused. But the police have a COURT ORDER for someone who PHYSICALLY INJURED another person. I'd say shame on MB for trying to catch the person who is guilty of a crime.

edit: Yeah police have to go to a judge for this sort of thing. It's not like they write themselves out a court order and then barge in....

The Police are not making the request, they took their information to a Judge who determined they have cause - he, as a legal expert and the constitutionally appointed person to make the decision, decided that they have cause and issued a Court Order. It sounds to me like they followed the proper procedure.

You completely missed the point and at the same time speak like a true bureaucrat.

I do side with MB on this one, as well. Police shouldn't be able to just call up MB and find out where people are. I hope MB continues to fight this order.

if someone elses person or property is harmed i think the Police should be allowed to take action, but i don't think the police should be allowed to use it just so they can hand out 100 billion speeding tickets (or even 1 for that matter)

@Takumi
Yeah, if you read my previous posts that is exactly what i support.

<- Cant believe the level of idiocy here, I'm out

No manufacturer would like the customers to think
"damn, my car can rat on me at any time"

If certain devices inside a car can be used against the owner of that car,
people will avoid having those devices... and if they can't avoid those devices,
they'll avoid that excat manufacturer altogether.

Nobody wants to pay good money for a thing that can/will be used against him,
it's a matter of psychology.

If there was a device in my car which fines me every time I make a traffic violation,
I'd at least like to be made an offer, like say $1000 off the car's price.

You are right, they have a proper court order but like any court order it can be challenge by a higher court. So If MB things its not proper, they have the right to challenge.

this is pretty OT but i just served jury duty today. The case was for an alleged child molester but his witness fled to CA so they put a warrant out for his arrest and sent everyone home because waiting would be pointless for however many days/weeks it would take to find the guy. so 7 hours from the time i got to the justice center to leaving and i only made $6 to listen to lawyers talk about how important it is to be honest. not even a free ice cream. least i dont have to go back for another 3 years

Am I the only one thinking that this is good? I don't want my car to be tracked anywhere I go.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this.... Frankly with all the comps in cars now adays i'm glad to see that the car companies are looking out for their buyers.

This being said.... I hope the guy in the hit and run is caught.

You are right, they have a proper court order but like any court order it can be challenge by a higher court. So If MB things its not proper, they have the right to challenge.

Unfortunately, MB is flat out IGNORING the court order, not contesting it at a higher level.

Theirs a big difference between IGNORING a Court Order and FIGHTING a Court Order.

I dunno how it works over there in Germany, but here in the United States, the Police need a justifiable cause to start breaking into your house or car.

Don't even go there. The german police is probably one of the most correct in the world. Why suddenly such an attitude - basically you are saying that you are civilized and the rest are not. Maybe so coughRodneyKingcough :p... I wouldn give american police such a vote of confidence (not basing it on Rodney, but having seen a bunch of films, i consider myself an expert in america :p)

Don't even go there. The german police is probably one of the most correct in the world. Why suddenly such an attitude - basically you are saying that you are civilized and the rest are not. Maybe so coughRodneyKingcough :p... I wouldn give american police such a vote of confidence (not basing it on Rodney, but having seen a bunch of films, i consider myself an expert in america :p)

Someone really wants me to pull out Hitler. And the Nazi's. :mrgreen:

btw. Hitler was born just a few miles from Slovenia. Coincidence?