Mercedes CLS wagon is a go.

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Mercedes-Benz will launch a wagon version of the second-generation CLS sedan as a rival to the recently introduced BMW 5-series GT and the upcoming Audi A7.

The new four-door--presaged by the German carmaker's 2008 Concept Fascination two-door shooting brake revealed at that year's Paris motor show--is among a throng of niche-market models under consideration by Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche.

"We're seeking to improve our returns by better utilization of existing platforms," a high-ranking Mercedes source told AutoWeek. "A derivative of the next CLS is just the tip of the iceberg."

Like the new CLS sedan set to go on sale in North America in early 2010, the CLS wagon will be based on a lightly modified version of the E-class. The two will share the same styling up to the trailing edge of the front doors, but a heavily sloping roofline and angled tailgate similar to that seen on the Concept Fascination will give the CLS wagon greater versatility and a much larger trunk than the CLS sedan.

Code-named the X218, the CLS wagon will premiere at the Paris motor show this September. Production begins in early 2012.

Stuttgart insiders say plans for a CLS wagon have existed since the first-generation CLS was launched in 2004. "We built a one-off model that was originally slated to be shown in concept-car form at the 2003 Frankfurt motor show, but it was pulled at the last minute and replaced by a lightly veiled version of the production CLS," a source said.

Plans call for the CLS wagon to receive a range of V6 and V8 powerplants that will be revealed in June with the debut of the CL-replacement S-class coupe. The engines promise a 25 percent reduction in fuel consumption over the current Mercedes V6 and V8 powerplants, thanks to the adoption of both turbocharging and direct injection.

CLS wagon models will be rear-drivers, but Mercedes also is likely to offer all-wheel drive based on the E-class 4Matic.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100106/CARNEWS/100109973#ixzz0br9urEQU

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/01/06/112_0809_04z_mercedes-benz_concept_fascination_side_view.jpg

I wish someone would make a shooting brake. Those are so awesome, but this will be a regular wagon. Whats the point, they already have the E-class estate, and I can't imagine that this will look too different.

I also want to find/see that one-off concept they were talking about, but never showed.

Reminds me of a R class. But way better looking. 2 doors missing though

Truth be told, it's not like the CLS is anything more than a very pretty sedan, so if the CLS wagon is just a very pretty wagon it'll fit the line. One of those cases where one has to wait until the final model is revealed.

Reminds me of a R class. But way better looking. 2 doors missing though

The picture is the Mercedes-Benz Concept-Facination concept. The CLS wagon will be a proper 4 door.

And thanks for reminding me, I forgot the R. They're going to have the C-Class estate, the E-Class estate, the R-Class, and now the CLS-Class Estate? :?

The Germans just love expanding their product lines, don't they?

It might be pointless, but at least it looks nice, it looks like it wants to be driven, I like those Rims in those arches!

>kombiland comment>

Sweeeeet

<kombiland comment<

So how do we know who will win these pointless car wars when no one will buy either the Merc or BMW?

The CLS is a seriously sleek machine but this is complete and utter pointlessness itself. </thread>

I like it! It looks great.

Who cares if it's pointless? :p

I thought the whole point of the CLS was that it was a 4-door that looked like a coupe? What would that make this? I really don't get it.

the new split headlights are ugly, classic CLS light assembly ftw

So what if it's pointless? How's it's existance going to make your life any worse?

I think it's just great that we're getting more and more different models and cars from different manufacturers, especially from BMW, Audi and MB. That just means we'll have bigger range of cars to choose from. As a car guy, I don't see nothing bad in that.

I have no issue with making pointless cars, they are free to spend the money developing them.

I just question the worth of creating an SUV/station wagon/sedan/coupe hybrid thingy that has compromised handling compared to a car, and no storage/seating enhancements. The worst of both worlds.

BMW made a 7 minute video trying to explain the GT and it still made no sense to me. The fact they needed to come up with a seven minute video to try and explain the purpose of the car is not a good sign in its own right.

Last edited:
I thought the whole point of the CLS was that it was a 4-door that looked like a coupe? What would that make this? I really don't get it.

This would be a wagon trying to look like a hatchback. :lol:

I just question the worth of creating an SUV/station wagon/sedan/coupe hybrid thingy that has compromised handling compared to a car, and no storage/seating enhancements. The worst of both worlds.

I agree with you about X6 and Crosstour-like vehicles, but this looks just like a swoopy wagon to me, no SUV influence at all. So with no compromise in handling, why not? Some people prefer five-doors, some prefer four-doors.

BMW made a 7 minute video trying to explain the GT and it still made no sense to me. The fact they needed to come up with a seven minute video to try and explain the purpose of the car is not a good sign in its own right.

It takes seven minutes to explain what a hatchback is without ever saying "hatchback," I guess.

mercedes-benz_fascination_concept1_x.jpg

This looks brilliant imho!

for comparison:

bmw_5er_gt-7373-89.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: