Mexico Grand Prix 2016

Four Five Eight

Car(s)
Audi A3 1.8t
Well, that was a dramatic ending with the little cheat Verstappen thinking he can get away with cutting the corner to stay ahead of Vettel. They had to kick him out of the podium waiting room afterwards so Sebastian could take 3rd. A shame that Raikkonen wasn't able to finish higher but he wasn't doing to well on those medium tires. Hamilton ran away with that one but if Rosberg wins in Brazil he'll be world champion.

Epic end to the race... Dunno about the penalty though, didn't Hamilton do the exact same thing to Rosberg on lap 1?

If I recall Nico got pushed off at the start of the race so he wasn't really in any place to complain about Lewis.

Vettel moving from his line while breaking; doing the exact thing he criticized Verstappen for two weeks ago. Fortunately he got a penalty as well. What a cry baby.

Ouch.

Vettel loses Mexican GP podium after penalty

Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo inherited a Mexican Grand Prix podium finish after Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel was penalised for his late-race defensive maneuvre.

Having been held up by Ricciardo's teammate Max Verstappen after the Dutchman straightlined Turn 1 and remained ahead, Vettel blocked the fast-approaching Aussie aggressively at Turn 4 on the penultimate lap of the race.

The pair nearly made contact arriving at the corner but Vettel would hold on to what was then fourth position, leading Ricciardo by 3.5s at the chequered flag and then inheriting third place when Verstappen was assessed a swift post-race penalty.

However, his podium remained provisional as the stewards investigated his defensive driving, with both Red Bull's Helmut Marko and Ricciardo himself saying Vettel had violated the very rule against moving under braking that had been recently implemented in response to Verstappen's tactics.

Following a meeting with the parties involved, the stewards gave Vettel a 10-second penalty and dropped him to fifth place for changing direction under braking.

The penalty means Ricciardo moves up to third and Verstappen to fourth, the Australian securing third in the championship.

Vettel was also awarded two penalty points.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-loses-mexican-gp-podium-after-penalty-845325/?s=1

Seems a bit harsh, considering Vettel probably would have never needed to defend from Ricciardo, had Max given up the spot as he should have, instead of backing Seb into Daniel.

A 10 second penalty?! They only gave Verstappen a 5 second penalty, that's ridiculous! Once again Verstappen is rewarded for bad behaviour I guess.

Verstappen made a mistake without putting anyone in danger. He should've given up the place, but Vettel his assault on Daniel was so much worse. He had to be given a worse sanction!

And wth Ferrari? Kimi was in seb's way, so you ruin his race???
That pitstop was so unnecessary!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Vettel gave Ricciardo space, never mind that he wouldn't have been in that position if Verstappen had moved over when he was supposed to something like 2 laps before that.
When I watched the Kimi Raikkonen post race interview I think they just felt it would be a good idea to put him on fresher tires since he was struggling though I'm not sure they should've bothered if they didn't have any softs to put him on.

What a crock of shit. Verstappen knew he would have to give up the place one way or another so he started to back Vettel into Ricciardo's reach and when Vettel defends from this bullshit he gets a penalty? Potentially dangerous move my bollocks.
When we get an exciting fight for a podium and the guy who wins it fair and square gets cheated out of it then what are we talking about here?

Raikkonen's strat wouldn't let him finish with those tyres I think so the second pit was planned, he just didn't make up the time during the race to make up for it.

Also getting tired of people not understanding the durability of these tyres. Martin Brundle going around asking people "so think these super softs are gonna last around 4, 5 laps you would say?" "Oh yep Martin we expect them to blow into bits by lap 3, they're so soft you know"
Then watch Bottas start on SS and take them to lap 17. Watch the hards last the entire fucking race, 2005 style.

On another note, was this the new record speed in a race (372 kph)?

Last edited:
Verstappen knew he would have to give up the place one way or another so he started to back Vettel into Ricciardo's reach

Part of the game, I don't have the slightest problem with that tactic

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Part of the game, I don't have the slightest problem with that tactic
If you're risking your own position to back someone else up, fine. But he was what you'd call "offside" already, he was not even supposed to be in front to use this "tactic". He was penalized so the stewards agree to this.

So is Verstappen the first driver ever to finish 3rd, 5th and 4th in the same race?

What a crock of shit.

^^^ x2, x3 & x4.

I've followed F1 religiously since 1988, but I think I'm done. It's gone steadily downhill for quite a few years and I'm just tired of the nonsense. I'm especially tired of Lewis' shenanigans, Verstappen's lack of respect for fair play, Vettle's constant whining, the lack of consistency among the stewards and officials and - most of all - the silly rules changes. I guess I'll just hit the internet after the races and read/watch the hi-lights, comments and finishing positions.

SL

^^^ x2, x3 & x4.

I've followed F1 religiously since 1988, but I think I'm done. It's gone steadily downhill for quite a few years and I'm just tired of the nonsense. I'm especially tired of Lewis' shenanigans, Verstappen's lack of respect for fair play, Vettle's constant whining, the lack of consistency among the stewards and officials and - most of all - the silly rules changes. I guess I'll just hit the internet after the races and read/watch the hi-lights, comments and finishing positions.

SL

I totally get what you're saying, been complaining about all of those things for years in this forums, guess I'm kinda hoping against hope that something will turn things around, I think I watch cos I don't mind some background noise once or twice a month for 2 hours during a sunday.